Barack Obama | Gay Pride | News

President Obama Releases 2013 LGBT Pride Month Proclamation: READ

The White House this afternoon released an LGBT Pride month proclamation by President Obama. The proclamation notes the progress across the nation toward marriage equality and notes the progress toward protections for transgender Americans.

ObamaObama also makes note of the inclusive Violence Against Women Act and his intent to advance equality for LGBT people around the world. It also reaffirms his commitment to an inclusive ENDA and the repeal of DOMA. Advocates have been pushing for Obama to sign an executive order given ENDA's poor legislative chances for passage.

Read Obama's full proclamation below:

LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER PRIDE MONTH, 2013

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

For more than two centuries, our Nation has struggled to transform the ideals of liberty and equality from founding promise into lasting reality. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans and their allies have been hard at work on the next great chapter of that history -- from the patrons of The Stonewall Inn who sparked a movement to service members who can finally be honest about who they love to brave young people who come out and speak out every day.

This year, we celebrate LGBT Pride Month at a moment of great hope and progress, recognizing that more needs to be done. Support for LGBT equality is growing, led by a generation which understands that, in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." In the past year, for the first time, voters in multiple States affirmed marriage equality for same-sex couples. State and local governments have taken important steps to provide much-needed protections for transgender Americans.

WhitehouseMy Administration is a proud partner in the journey toward LGBT equality. We extended hate crimes protections to include attacks based on sexual orientation or gender identity and repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." We lifted the HIV entry ban and ensured hospital visitation rights for LGBT patients. Together, we have investigated and addressed pervasive bullying faced by LGBT students, prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in Federal housing, and extended benefits for same-sex domestic partners. Earlier this year, I signed a reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in the implementation of any VAWA-funded program. And because LGBT rights are human rights, my Administration is implementing the first-ever Federal strategy to advance equality for LGBT people around the world.

We have witnessed real and lasting change, but our work is not complete. I continue to support a fully inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well as the Respect for Marriage Act. My Administration continues to implement the Affordable Care Act, which beginning in 2014, prohibits insurers from denying coverage to consumers based on their sexual orientation or gender identity, as well as the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, which addresses the disparate impact of the HIV epidemic among certain LGBT sub-communities. We have a long way to go, but if we continue on this path together, I am confident too that one day soon, from coast to coast, all of our young people will look to the future with the same sense of promise and possibility. I am confident because I have seen the talent, passion, and commitment of LGBT advocates and their allies, and I know that when voices are joined in common purpose, they cannot be stopped.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2013 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

Comments

1. *waits for the people who blame homophobia on black people to respond*

Posted by: JP | May 31, 2013 5:59:11 PM

2. I can't believe I once supported, and voted for, this guy. He actually makes me miss Dubya (who at the time I thought was Satan.)

Posted by: EJR43 | May 31, 2013 5:59:19 PM

3. He should stop talking and should sign executive orders protecting the lgbt community

Posted by: tfg | May 31, 2013 6:02:38 PM

4. Thank you Mr. President.

Posted by: Ray T | May 31, 2013 6:05:51 PM

5. And THIS is why I love Barack Obama!

Posted by: Jim | May 31, 2013 6:08:36 PM

6. Please don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: sugarrhill | May 31, 2013 6:09:22 PM

7. I'm still waiting for the President to do something re homosexual law reform at the federal level. He doesn't seem very interested.

Posted by: Brent | May 31, 2013 6:17:57 PM

8. Obama is such a tool.

Posted by: Krajci | May 31, 2013 6:25:09 PM

9. @ Brent: give it time baby cakes. I have been waiting for something like this since I came out in 1949.

Posted by: Ray T | May 31, 2013 6:34:23 PM

10. ..I know we're all Impatient - and Yes - we SHOULDN'T have to wait another God-dammed day to be Treaed Equally in this country - that Espouses - Liberty this, and Freedom that.....there should be NO Question why LGBT Americans are being Treated the way they are,have been!

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 31, 2013 6:40:26 PM

11. @RayT
    Wow! 1949
    Congratulations sir.

Posted by: JONES | May 31, 2013 6:48:25 PM

12. @EJR43, yeah, you really should have voted for Romney!

Fvckwit.

Posted by: Caliban | May 31, 2013 6:57:18 PM

13. Thank you

Please executive order protection of gay employees of federal contractors

Posted by: rick scatorum | May 31, 2013 7:11:58 PM

14. Ray T: Thanks for having the courage to come out in 1949.

Posted by: Mr. Green Jeans | May 31, 2013 7:13:54 PM

15. I actually like this, mostly because today is my birthday and I feel like this is a present from the President to me.

Posted by: Mike | May 31, 2013 8:28:27 PM

16. Happy Birthday Mike!

Hugs

Barry

Posted by: JONES | May 31, 2013 10:25:48 PM

17. Love Pride month...LOVE being openly out and proud.

Yes, Obama can do more to help our community, but for now, I do appreciate this.

Posted by: GeorgeCALI | Jun 1, 2013 1:33:42 AM

18. Obama has disgraced our institutions and country with malignant abuse of power. It is time for all Americans to call for his removal from office, along with his henchman. Civil rights are for all. We need leadership that isn't divisive and abusive. Obama is one step from being a hard-core tyrant. At least Bush had personal integrity and respect for the office - even if his choices were unpopular - at least he was honest and consistent. Principles matter, for all of us. Obama lacks principles.

Posted by: Ipsophakto | Jun 1, 2013 3:46:27 AM

19. Thank you President Obama! The ONLY president to recognize LGBT Pride month, each year of his presidency!

Posted by: Chuy | Jun 1, 2013 12:20:41 PM

20. Can't find this proclamation on the White House website! I think that speaks for itself.

Posted by: Rich | Jun 1, 2013 4:43:47 PM

21. Thank you Mr President. I feel honored to have had the privilege of voting for you, in both of your election victories!

Posted by: andrew | Jun 2, 2013 1:54:23 AM

22. While it is true that God loves all sinners, including us Christians and the homosexuals, YET as a God of justice, He cannot abide what He calls an "abomination",...homosexuality.
    "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God." (I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11). The spiritual and moral environment of the first century city of Corinth was extremely unhealthy. Out of this culture, which had seen its prime and under the crushing weight of further moral decline would one day destroy itself, men and women answered the call of the gospel. They sought purpose for their lives; they sought a better way; they sought an eternal and abiding hope. They found it in Christ Jesus. Even if their city and culture would shortly lie in ruins, they would live forever.

Posted by: Luc | Jun 3, 2013 12:19:31 AM

23. Nice.. words, but ...

Posted by: daveinsf | Jun 3, 2013 4:04:23 AM