President Obama Releases 2013 LGBT Pride Month Proclamation: READ

The White House this afternoon released an LGBT Pride month proclamation by President Obama. The proclamation notes the progress across the nation toward marriage equality and notes the progress toward protections for transgender Americans.

ObamaObama also makes note of the inclusive Violence Against Women Act and his intent to advance equality for LGBT people around the world. It also reaffirms his commitment to an inclusive ENDA and the repeal of DOMA. Advocates have been pushing for Obama to sign an executive order given ENDA's poor legislative chances for passage.

Read Obama's full proclamation below:

LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER PRIDE MONTH, 2013

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

For more than two centuries, our Nation has struggled to
transform the ideals of liberty and equality from founding
promise into lasting reality. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgender (LGBT) Americans and their allies have been hard at
work on the next great chapter of that history — from the
patrons of The Stonewall Inn who sparked a movement to service
members who can finally be honest about who they love to brave
young people who come out and speak out every day.

This year, we celebrate LGBT Pride Month at a moment of
great hope and progress, recognizing that more needs to be done.
Support for LGBT equality is growing, led by a generation which
understands that, in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." In the
past year, for the first time, voters in multiple States
affirmed marriage equality for same-sex couples. State and
local governments have taken important steps to provide
much-needed protections for transgender Americans.

WhitehouseMy Administration is a proud partner in the journey toward
LGBT equality. We extended hate crimes protections to include
attacks based on sexual orientation or gender identity and
repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." We lifted the HIV entry ban
and ensured hospital visitation rights for LGBT patients.
Together, we have investigated and addressed pervasive bullying
faced by LGBT students, prohibited discrimination based on
sexual orientation and gender identity in Federal housing, and
extended benefits for same-sex domestic partners. Earlier this
year, I signed a reauthorization of the Violence Against Women
Act (VAWA) that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation or gender identity in the implementation of any
VAWA-funded program. And because LGBT rights are human rights,
my Administration is implementing the first-ever Federal
strategy to advance equality for LGBT people around the world.

We have witnessed real and lasting change, but our work
is not complete. I continue to support a fully inclusive
Employment Non-Discrimination Act, as well as the Respect for
Marriage Act. My Administration continues to implement the
Affordable Care Act, which beginning in 2014, prohibits insurers
from denying coverage to consumers based on their sexual
orientation or gender identity, as well as the National HIV/AIDS
Strategy, which addresses the disparate impact of the HIV
epidemic among certain LGBT sub-communities. We have a long way
to go, but if we continue on this path together, I am confident too
that one day soon, from coast to coast, all of our young people
will look to the future with the same sense of promise and
possibility. I am confident because I have seen the talent,
passion, and commitment of LGBT advocates and their allies, and
I know that when voices are joined in common purpose, they
cannot be stopped.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the
United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested
in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States,
do hereby proclaim June 2013 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the
United States to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists,
and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
thirty-first day of May, in the year of our Lord
two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the
United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

Comments

1. EJR43 says

I can’t believe I once supported, and voted for, this guy. He actually makes me miss Dubya (who at the time I thought was Satan.)

2. tfg says

He should stop talking and should sign executive orders protecting the lgbt community

3. Brent says

I’m still waiting for the President to do something re homosexual law reform at the federal level. He doesn’t seem very interested.

4. Ray T says

@ Brent: give it time baby cakes. I have been waiting for something like this since I came out in 1949.

5. Disgusted American says

..I know we’re all Impatient – and Yes – we SHOULDN’T have to wait another God-dammed day to be Treaed Equally in this country – that Espouses – Liberty this, and Freedom that…..there should be NO Question why LGBT Americans are being Treated the way they are,have been!

6. rick scatorum says

Please executive order protection of gay employees of federal contractors

7. Mike says

I actually like this, mostly because today is my birthday and I feel like this is a present from the President to me.

8. GeorgeCALI says

Love Pride month…LOVE being openly out and proud.

Yes, Obama can do more to help our community, but for now, I do appreciate this.

9. Ipsophakto says

Obama has disgraced our institutions and country with malignant abuse of power. It is time for all Americans to call for his removal from office, along with his henchman. Civil rights are for all. We need leadership that isn’t divisive and abusive. Obama is one step from being a hard-core tyrant. At least Bush had personal integrity and respect for the office – even if his choices were unpopular – at least he was honest and consistent. Principles matter, for all of us. Obama lacks principles.

10. Chuy says

Thank you President Obama! The ONLY president to recognize LGBT Pride month, each year of his presidency!

11. Rich says

Can’t find this proclamation on the White House website! I think that speaks for itself.

12. andrew says

Thank you Mr President. I feel honored to have had the privilege of voting for you, in both of your election victories!

13. Luc says

While it is true that God loves all sinners, including us Christians and the homosexuals, YET as a God of justice, He cannot abide what He calls an “abomination”,…homosexuality.
    “Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.” (I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11). The spiritual and moral environment of the first century city of Corinth was extremely unhealthy. Out of this culture, which had seen its prime and under the crushing weight of further moral decline would one day destroy itself, men and women answered the call of the gospel. They sought purpose for their lives; they sought a better way; they sought an eternal and abiding hope. They found it in Christ Jesus. Even if their city and culture would shortly lie in ruins, they would live forever.