Asante Samuel | Football (American) | Jason Collins | News | NFL | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NFL Player Asante Samuel Wishes Gays Wouldn't 'Flaunt' Their Sexuality: VIDEO

Samuel

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Asante Samuel told FOX Sports Radio that he doesn't understand why gays have to flaunt their sexuality when asked about NBA center Jason Collins.

Said Samuel:

"Straight people are not announcing they're straight, so why does everybody have to announce their sexuality or whatever? You know, what they prefer...So that's just how I see it. That's my opinion on things. All respect you know, I have nothing but respect for the people whoever decisions they make and whatever, but you know, you don't have to show it and flaunt it like that. You know what I'm saying, we have kids out here, too."

Samuel was asked about the remarks today on ESPN:

He added: "I don't think it's something we have to express and let be known of what my sexuality preference is - just stick to sports....I don't want to teach my kids those things. I teach my kids God. You know, how God lives his life."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wonder how he would feel if flaunting ignorance were poopooed. Let's just say...he wouldn't be allowed to open that big flapping dumb-ass mouth.

Posted by: PAUL B. | May 2, 2013 8:16:32 PM

2. Really? Dude. I'll start listening to you when you can put together a grammatically correct sentence. Until then, STFU!!!!

Posted by: Jumper | May 2, 2013 8:17:04 PM

3. straight people are always announcing their sexuality, look at the kiss cam at most professional sporting events. We are always shown images of professional athletes and their wives/girlfriends,we always are repeatedly shown images of their lavish weddings.

Posted by: Jay | May 2, 2013 8:17:37 PM

4. Assante Samuels... 'Ass' for short...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | May 2, 2013 8:17:55 PM

5. Negro

Posted by: PPP | May 2, 2013 8:23:23 PM

6. Hey Asante - why don't you spend more time trying to better the african american community rather than bashing the gay community. With black males at the top of the unemployment and incarceration spectrum, they could use your help and your money.

Posted by: sean | May 2, 2013 8:23:45 PM

7. And now for the irredeemably stupid....

Posted by: Caliban | May 2, 2013 8:24:25 PM

8. So, how does You know, how God live(s) his life? Amazing concrete brain density.

Posted by: Bob | May 2, 2013 8:25:58 PM

9. And I wish he wouldn't flaunt his ignorance.

Posted by: Buster | May 2, 2013 8:27:10 PM

10. I have absolutely no patience left for such ignorant comments.......it is unfortunate that straight folks like him and others confuse "flaunting" sexuality with SEX.....and of course, this is not what gay people are doing when they come out

Posted by: Bernie | May 2, 2013 8:28:47 PM

11. This whole "flaunting" thing has been the meme of straight doofi for decades. If these idiots could only learn to read or stop putting their fingers in their ears and going "nanananananana", they'd realize they've been flaunting their *ahem* lifesyles all the time--as has been pointed out continuously. And you know, braiding your hair that way is just "flaunting" your identity/lifestyle/ethnicity at everyone else...think about that annoying little tidbit, you hypocrite. Such a poopie head.

Posted by: woodroad34d | May 2, 2013 8:29:49 PM

12. Why does Steve Hartman get a pass???? HE AGREED WITH HIM during the interview!!!!

Posted by: Ron | May 2, 2013 8:30:22 PM

13. God leads his life just fine apparently because God created lots of different kinds of nifty people...however, some human beings murder each other because they are bigots and/or thieves, some love each other as God Commanded then to do and some are even more talented than others (in lots of different ways). God likes/lives diversity...best to inform the kids that God is admires good character in Gods kids in case the subject ever comes up (at Asantes house especially).

Posted by: Leonardo Ricardo | May 2, 2013 8:32:34 PM

14. As a gay man, I am proud that I, too, am made in the image of God. If God created everything as Christians believe, then yes, God created Adam and Steve.

Posted by: Chadd | May 2, 2013 8:33:17 PM

15. And I'm wishin' he wouldn't flaunt his ignorant negrotude with those corndreads or whatever they are.

Posted by: Derrick in Philly | May 2, 2013 8:33:25 PM

16. Stop lookin' up the white woman's dress, Dark Boy.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 2, 2013 8:36:20 PM

17. I'm sad that so many of you are answering ignorant bigotry with ignorant bigotry. Pathetic.

Posted by: ChristopherM | May 2, 2013 8:38:29 PM

18. I feel the same way about heterosexuals and their constant flaunting — my God says that's wrong.

But I have learned to live with it, and even respect them.

Posted by: btinc | May 2, 2013 8:39:06 PM

19. I sometimes question just how supportive all of these players speaking out for our rights are, given none of them bar a few have ever said anything about this issue in the past and, of course, zero players have come out. And given what reporters say, which is gay jokes/slurs/jokes regarding masculinity are very common in locker rooms. I mean, if the locker room were very accepting, then it would lead one to assume someone would have come out by now, and not at the end of their career like Jason Collins has. I'm not saying guys are unaccepting, but are any of them actually doing anything to make a proverbial closeted player feel comfortable?

People have the wrong idea of how locker rooms work. 95% of guys will play with a gay teammate, no problem. That's not really the issue, playing with someone gay. It's more about the dynamics of the locker room in terms of language, jokes, off-the-field friendships, and the brotherhood in general. That and closeted players I'm sure feel totally alone right now, without anyone who really understands them in the locker room. It will be interesting to see if locker room dynamics change with Jason Collins out.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 2, 2013 8:39:39 PM

20. So, ummm, when you talk about your kids you aren't talking about your sexuality?

Posted by: Bucky | May 2, 2013 8:43:42 PM

21. As for Asante Samuel.......words aren't necessary.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 2, 2013 8:44:37 PM

22. I hate the way he flaunts his blackness by speaking in ebonics.

Posted by: ChristopherM | May 2, 2013 8:45:24 PM

23. Until Mr. Samuel comes out and tells us otherwise, we should all assume that he's a gay man who is doing his best to not flaunt his sexuality. If he announces he is straight, he is indeed flaunting his sexuality and therefore a hypocrite.

Posted by: John D | May 2, 2013 8:47:06 PM

24. OK to talk about God in Sports, but not OK to talk about gays in Sports. Got it.

Posted by: Keith | May 2, 2013 8:50:05 PM

25. straight people don't flaunt their sexuality? uh...go to any nightclub on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll see quite a bit of sexuality-flaunting - gay or straight.

Posted by: steve | May 2, 2013 8:51:11 PM