Canada | Gay Marriage | News | Real Estate | Toronto

Toronto-Area RE/MAX Real Estate Agent Fired for Distribution of Homophobic Flyer

Ciastek
(image missassauga news)

Last week I posted about Andrew Ciastek, a RE/MAX Real Estate agent in the Toronto-area city of Mississauga who was under fire for distributing sales brochures which included an article promoting "traditional families" as the best for the future of children.

RE/MAX has fired Ciastek, XTRA reports:

Andrew Ciastek was terminated for “poor judgment on his personal marketing,” according to Christine Martysiewicz, director of internal and public relations for RE/MAX Ontario-Atlantic Canada.

“We assure the general public that his actions in no way reflect RE/MAX or our associates. We're offended by the insensitivity shown here just as much as the community is. We take pride in the diversity of our workforce and our clients,” Martysiewicz says...

...Ciastek was not immediately available for comment. In an interview before the termination was announced, he told the Toronto Star he realized people are “hurt” by the flyer and promised to apologize.

Comments

1. Good! And an apology is a good place to start repairing the damage...and we're not talking one of those "I apologize if I offended anyone..." non-apologies. It needs to be a real apology in which he takes full responsibility for insulting and offending ALL non-"traditional" families.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | May 4, 2013 5:52:26 PM

2. What gets me is that this wasn't just something posted quickly online, or an e-mail sent in haste. He had to put the information together, proofread it and then think: "Yes! This is exactly how I want to brand myself as a professional realtor." I'm glad Re/Max fired him. They did the right thing. This is one of the many reasons I'm glad that I live in Canada. This kind of sh!t isn't tolerated [in most of the country].

Posted by: Gigi | May 4, 2013 6:01:30 PM

3. What gets me is that this wasn't just something posted quickly online, or an e-mail sent in haste. He had to put the information together, proofread it and then think: "Yes! This is exactly how I want to brand myself as a professional realtor." I'm glad Re/Max fired him. They did the right thing. This is one of the many reasons I'm glad that I live in Canada. This kind of sh!t isn't tolerated [in most of the country].

Posted by: Gigi | May 4, 2013 6:01:31 PM

4. He'll soon be hailed as a hero and martyr by the far right.

I think he's certainly entitled to his opinion. But it was really stupid and short-sighted to put such an article into a sales brochure. People in sales generally want to reach as broad a market as possible, and it would seem to be common sense to realize that such an article would...shall we say...alienate part of the customer base. He might as well have publish an article saying that people shouldn't marry outside of their race because it is unfair to the children.

Posted by: Clayton | May 4, 2013 6:08:46 PM

5. One of the reasons I dislike Canada. They're like those parents who demand that feuding siblings hug and consider every unfriendly opinion or action the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded movie theater. As much as I'm annoyed at how kookishly liberal the US is becoming, I'm glad that this type of thing would never happen here.

Posted by: XoMoDe | May 4, 2013 6:28:42 PM

6. Good for RE/MAX! Am glad that that twit Andrew Ciastek was fired for such deplorable conduct. Can hardly wait for his "non-apology" apology . . .

Posted by: Mike | May 4, 2013 6:56:08 PM

7. Good for RE/MAX! Am glad that that twit Andrew Ciastek was fired for such deplorable conduct. Can hardly wait for his "non-apology" apology . . .

Posted by: Mike | May 4, 2013 6:56:08 PM

8. XoMoDe

No one gives a $ hit.

Posted by: Marc C | May 4, 2013 6:57:08 PM

9. XoMoDe. Glad you typed that instead of saying it. Or else I wouldn't have been able to have heard you over our marriage equality, functioning economy, general absense of religious hysterics, healthcare, close ties with the rest of the commonwealth....... You get the picture.

Posted by: Chris | May 4, 2013 7:25:48 PM

10. This is one of those things where you just have to wonder "What was he THINKING?!" For a realtor it was an incredibly stupid thing to do and I'm not surprised he was fired since he was representing RE/Max, not just himself.

But he referenced the thoroughly discredited Regnerus study in the brochure which pretty much proves he's a Religious Right nut so I guess it's not that surprising he's just not that bright. Nobody but them ever cites that "study" because it's such a stain on the reputations of everyone involved.

Posted by: Caliban | May 4, 2013 7:25:56 PM

11. If he were in the good old US of A he would have a lawyer claiming that his First Amendment rights were violated or a Liberty University legal group saying that he was denied his "religious freedom" Canada has strong anti-discrimination and hate laws and a more inclusive society that recognizes bigotry quickly.

Posted by: shanestud | May 4, 2013 8:08:59 PM

12. Another closet case for Jesus.

Finally, in the last decade, LGBTQ people have begun to address our youth directly.

Admittedly, middle-aged closet cases steaming with toxic hypocrisy aren't nearly as appealing as young people, but I wonder if guys like this don't need help every bit as much as suicidal teens.

Sadly, I can think of a way to save such people form themselves. They're like meth addicts… They have to seek treatment before you can do anything but waste your time with them.

Posted by: Bryan | May 4, 2013 8:14:00 PM

13. ...... our marriage equality, functioning economy, general absense of religious hysterics, healthcare, close ties with the rest of the commonwealth....... You get the picture.

Posted by: Chris

Well , you do have universal healthcare (so do we albeit a much worse design) and I'll take your word for your popularity with Bahamians. In Florida, "Canadian" is a code word.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 4, 2013 8:43:30 PM

14. Re/Max didn't fire him because he was not an employee of Re/Max. AT most, they terminated their rental and marketing agreement.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 4, 2013 8:45:02 PM

15. Shanestud - Canada's infringement on freedom of speech is nothing to be proud of. Howbeit in this case , ReMax terminating his office association is not a violation of his speech because he was doing it under their letterhead.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 4, 2013 8:47:19 PM

16. @Chris. I'm not impressed. The US is the most powerful nation on the planet; trust that we are not envious of Canada. We could have all that you silly, idealistic Canucks like to boast about (and more)...but few of our citizens would be willing to be castrated for it, the way you Stepford people are.

I wouldn't put anything you laughably tried to brag about over our Constitution, and free speech. I'll gladly pay for my own healthcare and deal with devoutly religious fundamentalists if it means being able to tell you to your face that I don't like you or your kind.

Posted by: XoMoDe | May 4, 2013 9:34:16 PM

17. Wait... if I'm not mistaken, the man in the picture is him, right? Why does his shirt say "Hate is not a family value." Is this guy stupid, delusional, or both?

Doesn't he understand that his type of rhetoric is the seed of hate or is he just delusional?

Posted by: Nat | May 4, 2013 10:15:34 PM

18. In Canada, "David Hearne" is a code word.

Posted by: ger | May 4, 2013 10:22:08 PM

19. @Nat, I'm pretty sure the guy in the picture is the one who got the brochure and complained. That's why he's wearing a pro-gay T-Shirt.

Posted by: Caliban | May 4, 2013 10:34:34 PM

20. WERK. Hilariously, he's been complaining about te negative attention this has attracted to he and his family. No S$@T. LOL

Poor sad man. Oh well. You reap what u sow.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 4, 2013 11:20:01 PM

21. @XoMoDe @Chris: XoMoDe is probably angry because his guy lost in our last election. Some of us voted for the winner because at least he wanted to try to get us a decent health-care system, like nearly every industrialized country has.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2013 11:20:41 PM

22. Last year a realtor in the U.S. set a box of Cheerios on fire to protest "the gays". The video he posted on youtube went viral, showing the flaming cereal light General Mills' lawn on fire as he flees to his car. I called his office manager and asked "Did you know you have an arsonist on your staff?" He was fired the next week. The week after that he dropped dead of a heart attack. My reaction "Oh".

Posted by: Gestly | May 5, 2013 1:07:52 AM

23. @Nat. Do not think so. Click on the Mississauga news link right under the picture. Apparently the guy in the photo with the "HATE is not a family value" shirt is a retired teacher by the name of Jon McDonald. He could have just said "Bullkrap!!!" and let it have the intended effect on others. He did NOT! As a teacher he had heard his students taunt each other with homophobic slurs for 33 years. He was so incensed to receive the bloody flyer in the mail that he alerted RE/MAX, the real estate council of Ontario, the local human rights commission, the local police diversity unit and others. Jon McDonald is the true hero here! He chose to get involved. He even sought legal assistance. (As it was sent through the mail should not the government act? Or is that ONLY with the United States Post Office and not true of Canada?) Whatever, the mailing was Neanderthal stupid and in shockingly bad taste! At least this jerk not only lost his job but RE/MAX went into damage control. They have already said that they will donate an "undisclosed" sum to the local Pride. Hope that it is a substantial amount! (The legal fine that RE/MAX could face is $25,000 to start with.) It is great and almost glorious when one of these idiots does something this malevolent and it blows up in their hateful face.

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2013 5:48:19 AM

24. @XoMoDe -- It'd be nice if you knew what you were talking about before you posted. Many real estate companies have a clause in their agreement with the agent that states all marketing material much be approved by the brokerage before it's distributed. Since many agencies have 100s of employees, most don't enforce this policy unless the agent sends out something that could damage the brand. Which is what the agent in question did. Which is why he was fired. You're misguided if this is one of the reasons that you dislike Canada because it can and does happen in the United States.

Posted by: Gigi | May 5, 2013 7:37:06 AM

25. They should put him on 'trial' in one of Canada's extra-judicial kangaroo courts know has human rights tribunals, an institution straight out of communist Russia or Nazi Germany.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 5, 2013 10:27:00 AM