Education | Gay Youth | News

BigGayDeal.com

Two Adorable 2013 Gay Prom Photos

Gayprom

The first, via Imgur, captioned: "We just got back from the prom." "Did you have dates?" "Um, yeah."

Another, below, via Reddit: "Me (right) and my boyfriend (left) for prom!"

The times are a-changin'. What was your prom experience like and what year was it?

2_gayprom

Comments

1. That's Awesome.
    Made my day.
    Thanks Andy....appreciate u
    Sharing the new normal.

Posted by: mickey | May 14, 2013 10:36:03 AM

2. I chaperoned a high school prom last weekend, and two or three different male couples slow-danced with each other--one was gently affectionate goofing around between friends, but the other two sure looked like they were a couple, or incredibly cool straight guys who just don't give a darn what people think. I have to say, it was very moving and cool to watch. This was the world when I was coming of age in the 80's that I hoped I'd be around to see. :)

Posted by: Dback | May 14, 2013 10:37:38 AM

3. I took a dude to prom in 2000. Times changed a while ago.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 14, 2013 10:50:35 AM

4. prom is another one of those stupid cultural traditions. way too much significance is given to this ridiculously expensive, socially exclusive so called "right of passage". blech.

Posted by: gallant | May 14, 2013 10:52:58 AM

5. I grinded with a guy at my prom in front of everybody...but that was 4 years ago lol.

Posted by: Anthony | May 14, 2013 11:04:23 AM

6. I went to a high school in west Texas (i.e. very conservative) and graduated in 2005. I was closeted then, but I remember a few gay couples going to prom together. At the time, it really wasn't a big deal at all. No one cared. But I think had parents found out, they probably would have made it a big deal.

Congrats to these couples! I'm sure they had fun.

Posted by: Evan C | May 14, 2013 11:08:23 AM

7. mad adorable!
    it was 2001, and i went with the three other queer kids. two girls, two guys, all gay, rented our limo, danced the night away. lord i need to scan photos from that night, we were so younnnng.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 14, 2013 11:14:11 AM

8. 1982. Went with a female friend. We played Scrabble before the after-prom party, where I fell in crush with the host. My date is Republican now.

Posted by: Ronny | May 14, 2013 11:22:16 AM

9. My prom was in 1983 and I took my fag hag best friend. I was out and we were awesome!

Posted by: mikep | May 14, 2013 11:48:10 AM

10. Why, in the second photo, is he kissing a girl rather than his supposed "date"? And why is she standing between them, as if she "owns" both of them?

Why are so many gay men so emotionally attached to women, at the same time that they have such difficulty forming lasting emotional bonds to each other?

Posted by: Rick | May 14, 2013 11:53:33 AM

11. Rick,

Are you stupid?

Posted by: Chance | May 14, 2013 12:13:21 PM

12. Rick,

Are you stupid?

Posted by: Chance | May 14, 2013 12:13:21 PM

13. This is adorable to see & I'm happy times are changing. The top pic looks like the one boy is taking a teenage Dr Who to prom, just saying'.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | May 14, 2013 12:15:05 PM

14. Adorable, but gay kids have been out at prom for years so I think this is a signal of not really social change (which undoubtedly is occurring though) and more awesome LGBT teens who are loved, supported and confident, and in love.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 14, 2013 12:23:49 PM

15. 2001? No idea you were so young, Kiwi.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 14, 2013 12:24:53 PM

16. haha. oh yes. i was a wee blonde twink in 2001. anyone else ever have that ill-advised blonde stage? thank goodness it coincided with prom and high school graduation so it can be forever cemented in time. UGH. ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 14, 2013 12:30:27 PM

17. Like to think that the only objection of modern parents to the picture of the first adorable couple is that one of the young men apparently decided not to wear socks. That being said, his tie is a bit lopsided and part of his shirt is out so maybe he did originally wear socks to begin with . . .

Posted by: Mike | May 14, 2013 12:33:12 PM

18. I've had every color hair stage, including a product called Sun-In that you're too young to recall. It gave me orange hair. Lovely. The actual blond was way better, and it wasn't even so great.

I went to at least 3 proms because I had so many female friends. My parents got sick of that charade since it was their credit card being abused. I only knew one sort-of gay guy in high school, and he was the date of this bi girl for one prom. He and I probably drank cheap vodka and messed around afterward and our female "dates" cried themselves to sleep.

Posted by: Paul R | May 14, 2013 12:49:22 PM

19. I TOTALLY REMEMBER SUN-IN! t'was a 90s-gay boys' best/worst friend.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 14, 2013 1:00:44 PM

20. Ancient history for me. 1971 and I didn't go. Had I gone with a guy (I didn't know if anyone else was gay in my school) I would have probably been lynched.

Posted by: Peter | May 14, 2013 1:04:33 PM

21. It was way back in 1975 in a small South Texas oil/farm/cow town with my little sister's best friend. After the prom, our real dates picked us up, her secret college boyfriend and my apparently not so secret boyfriend. Every other question I got asked at the prom by students and teachers pertained to the whereabouts of "Eddie". I was clueless about our notoriety. It was an opportunity missed for a gay statement.
    It was sweet to be regaled with "crazy Jose and Eddie" stories at his wake ten years later. I wish we knew how much we were accepted as a couple in high school. But then, we couldn't have possibly been any happier since we'd always had each other. In an indirect way, my prom brought us closer together.

Posted by: parkrunner | May 14, 2013 1:06:44 PM

22. oh hai! sun in has been around forever. i used it in the 60's during the winter months to hold on to my summer bleached hair, which was a much lighter shade of blond and slowly getting darker as i grew older. now that hair is mostly white.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 14, 2013 1:09:13 PM

23. Just a quick note that the first photo should be credited to Brandon Stanton, better known as HONY/Humans of New York. Here's the photo as it was originally posted:

Posted by: Anna | May 14, 2013 1:44:42 PM

24. Since I have social anxiety, the very idea of going to something like prom is terrifying to me. I never went to a single dance in high school. Besides, there was Dallas and Falcon Crest to watch on Friday nights, which was so much more fun, anyway.

Posted by: Joseph | May 14, 2013 1:50:32 PM

25. Learn something every day! I thought that Sun-In was just a brief 80s thing. Other absurd things I've put in my hair include Manic Panic (a dye), lemon juice, and pretty much everything else. It's amazing I have any left.

My father used to love lying to me about various things and would try to appeal to my vanity by saying that studies had shown that people who colored their hair went bald at a very young age.

Posted by: Paul R | May 14, 2013 2:01:23 PM