NFL MVP Adrian Peterson: I’d Be Uneasy Showering with Gay Teammate But Would Still Pat Him on the Butt

Minnesota Vikings running back and reigning NFL MVP Adrian Peterson, who made headlines last week when he said he's "not with" gay marriage, tells the Oklahoman that he wouldn't mind having a gay teammate, except maybe in the locker room showers:

Peterson“Simple things, as far as showers and things like that, you know, of course, anyone would be uncomfortable,” Peterson said Monday. “But you know, I'm a grown man. There's things that I can deal with. I'm comfortable in my skin. I'll still high-five them. Pat them on the butt when he's doing good, and go on about my business.”

As a reminder, here are Peterson's remarks on same-sex marriage:

"To each his own, (but) I’m not with it. I have relatives that are gay. I’m not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love them. But, again, I’m not with that. That’s not something I believe in. But to each his own."

Many players have been voicing their opinion on this topic lately.

LuckIndianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck told CNN over the weekend that he'd have "no problem" with a gay teammate and "I'd be disappointed if there was a negative reaction among players." Luck said he hoped that a gay player would feel comfortable coming out.

Rookie Steelers QB Landry Jones said as a Christian he doesn't believe in homosexuality but it would not interfere with his game: "I don't think it's right, but it's their life and I'm not going to go up because someone is gay and be mean or hateful and say terrible things to them. I'm going to treat them like a human being."

New York Jets linebacker DeMario Davis said he thinks gays are sinners but he'd welcome one to the team.

And NFL legend Joe Namath said over the weekend that homophobic players should "get over it":

"I have friends that are gay. I've worked in theater, I've been in art, you know, for some time. We work shoulder to shoulder. There's a lot of love from me to them, too. That's life, you know. And if you've got a hangup about it, I hope you can get over it because it's real."

Comments

1. says

you know, i’m practically the Gayest Gay Who Ever Gayed, and yet I don’t, nor have I ever, patted (?) or smacked by buds on the butt. Gay or straight.

Is that what bothers these guys? That they enjoy ass-patting and don’t want it to….uh….become…”gay”, or something?

it’s all very odd.

2. candide001 says

does this comment show he’s even more stupid than his first comment? or does it show progress? when folks are this stupid to begin with it’s hard to tell.

3. says

Don’t you dare get mad at this man, get mad at the reporters who manufactured this. I am not saying he isn’t bigoted, but being bigoted is not the worst thing, it is something that can be overcome by reason.

How hard would it be to find a homophobe and get him to say something bigoted? Is that news?

This guy needs help to overcome his stupidity, I hope in the backlash from his stupid comments helps him there.

4. Derrick from Philly says

LOL…oh, Lord.

Well, it depends on whether you slap the top of the butt, or the bottom of the butt. And also, how long does you hand stay on the butt once you make contact.

Or, does the hand go under the butt toward the balls…that might be problematic, but pleasurable.

All important issues when dealing with guy’s butts.

5. says

Bless his heart… Physical contact with other men’s butts makes him feel like a man…

A man seeing him naked in the shower makes him feel… Like a woman?

Is he really so dense as to think he’s never showered with a gay guy? With all the time he spends showering with men, none of them have been gay?

Really?

6. disgusted american says

dude you aint all that…mmmmmmkayyyyy…and there was a time when WHITE Players didnt want to shower with black players……get with it..and GROW UP

7. David in the O.C. says

“Pat them on the butt when he’s doing good, and go on about my business.”

Yeah, there’s nothing gay about that at all. — Then go on about my business? It sounds like he’s having a meeting with a CEO in a boardroom.

8. Christopher says

Apparently the real reason for homophobia is that straight men think we gays all possess superpowers. I mean, they must, if they think that in a shower full of men (who are presumably–statistically–heterosexual), just one gay man will be able to subdue them all and have his way with any and/or all of them at any given moment.

Either that or they’re afraid to catch The Gay. Which, if the prospect of a gay teammate in the shower with you makes you start looking over your shoulder to catch who is staring at your ass…well, surprise, you’re already gay!

9. Derrick from Philly says

The other irony about Adrian is that he’s done a number of topless photographs for various muscle and fitness magazines. Who the hell does he thinks looks at those magazine covers? LOL.

Well, he’s from Texas. What do you expect? I love ALL my cousins from down South…but well, what do you expect?

10. Francis #1 says

Yes Dastius, which is one of the reasons guys don’t come out, in fact.

As Kiwi put it, gay/bi……we work out. Stereotype, yes, but there’s truth to it. We keep in shape. We go to the gym. So if you’ve ever been to the gym and taken a shower, if you’ve ever changed in a gym, you’ve changed with a non-heterosexual man present. And they haven’t tried to f**k you, because we have standards, and we have decorum, plus we tend to know who the straight boys are and aren’t.

Baseless fear and ignorance is just that. His comments aren’t cool because what he says has sway considering he’s the best player in the NFL. I don’t see him getting a ton of backlash; in fact, like with Roy Hibbert, I expect a mixed reaction of criticism and support. There’s still a lot of homophobia in the sports world.

11. David Hearne says

Remember when the Olympics tried to butch up swimming and gymnastics with butt patting? It was like watching a gay man spit on the sidewalk.

12. Alex says

I guess I’m odd but as a gay man I can understand why having a gay man in the showers might make some straight guys uncomfortable. It would be the same as having a woman in the showers. All sexual innuendo aside, I would find both unacceptable to me. Glad it’s an issue I’ll never have to face.

13. Rick says

The comments in this thread just demonstrate why gay men are AT LEAST as responsible for the perpetuation of a homophobic male culture as straight men are.

Earth to Gays: Yes, men can have physical contact with each other as a show of affection without it being sexual in nature, whether it is the ritualized pat on the butt in American sports or men in other countries holding hands with each other.

Because most of you cannot conceive of having positive feelings or any bond with a man that is not sexual in nature, that goes right over your heads.

And BECAUSE you try to define every form of expression of affection between men as “gay”, you poison the well and make it more difficult for men to loosen up emotionally with each other, which would accrue to the advantage of all of us.

So you end up being just as big a deterrent to social change as straight men who think one has to “keep one’s distance” from other men emotionally and physically, lest they be considered “gay”.

14. Frank says

He seems like a heterosexual who’s trying to “evolve.” Let’s not forget the closet costs heterosexuals the opportunity to “evolve” or grow up, because it doesn’t allow us to give those people a chance.

15. says

folks, ignore Rick The Closet Case.

he doesn’t have a single gay friend, let alone any straight ones, and will do the world a great big f***ing favour when he finally fellates a shotgun.

don’t ask him questions. don’t engage him in discussion. if you want to interact with him, ask him to provide a URL to show who he is. it’s a surefire way to shut him up.

16. Rick says

“And they haven’t tried to f**k you, because we have standards, and we have decorum, plus we tend to know who the straight boys are and aren’t.”

Bullsh!t.

The only way to figure out if a guy in the shower is interested in sex with you is to cruise him.

And no, you don’t know who the straight boys are and aren’t–do they have a tag around their necks that indicates it? Is there a hard and fast dividing line between “straight” and “gay” in the first place? No.

Is a public shower a great place for a guy who is bi-curious to scope out other guys and perhaps discretely guage his interest? Of course, it is.

Of course, most guys who are not interested will either ignore it when they are cruised or give you a stern look if they notice your cruising and that usually is enough to send the appropriate message.

But you guys are lying through your teeth to claim that gay guys do not cruise all the guys in a public shower. So the issue is a legitimate one, even if it is overblown by many straight men.

17. David Hearne says

Rick – Bite me. I remember you from AOL when you used to post requests for people to tell you erotic tales with a Fraternity background. Someone piped up and told you what really happened, how he was abused and expelled, how he had been humiliated, and what did you do? You waited three days, and then posted the same crap you always did.

Rick, you are a joke. Everyone here knows that men can be affectionate without being sexual. See, we actually have friends. You can’t possibly have friends because you are phony. Phony people don’t have friends, at most they have companions.

18. Francis #1 says

I partially agree, Frank, but not really. Why would people put themselves out there completely in a culture that is, at least, lukewarm about homosexuality? That’s the big issue. People are closeted, still, because large swaths of society are still incredibly heterosexist and homophobic. Guys in the four big sports clearly don’t feel like coming out is an option and there’s a reason for that. That’s the big issue. It shouldn’t have to take knowing a gay person to not be completely misinformed/uninformed.

19. says

only closet cases make the mistake of hitting on straight guys.

openly-gay men tend to be, you know, attracted to other openly gay men.

closet cases pathetically avoid guys they can “tell” are gay and instead project their pent-up frustrations onto straight guys.

folks seriously. IGNORE rick. he’ll go back to his gloryholes and die.

20. MateoM says

Is Rick is trying to fool us into thinking that David Hearne isnt actually his alias? Because we’ve known they’re the same person for some time now.

21. says

Requests for erotic tales with a fraternity background? The plot thickens …

Adrian’s responses seem like backhanded or, rather, butthanded attempts to be cool and open and tolerant all the while making sure no one might get the impression that he’s personally down (or down low) with more than the always straight-manly pats on the butt. So he ends up make a contradictory mess of a statement that probably accurately reflects where people who are way less evolved than Chris Kluwe stand–in other words, as times rapidly change he doesn’t seem sure where he stands but he’s aiming to be tolerant(ish). I don’t see this as a bad thing, especially with other pro-gay players showing the way. Real progress will be when it’s not even a media question and what one athlete happens to think isn’t newsworthy.

The shower fixation is typical and bizarre since an openly gay guy should be less discomfort making in the showers than the closeted peepers who’ve always existed. And, given how many straight guys like to exhibit their bodies these days, you’d think it would be just another stage. The truth is showering with teammates is just that, not half as erotic as it’s cracked up to be.

22. David Hearne says

mateom – Bite me. I have never been Rick and if you were any good at internet forensics you would know that. So either you do know it and you’re being a pain or you’re an idiot. Which is it?

23. mike/ says

hey, Rick – i think you really meant to say:

“Because most of you [straights] cannot conceive of having positive feelings or any bond with a WOMAN that is not sexual in nature, that goes right over your heads.”

when i’m with my straight male friends only, it’s like every other statement out of their mouths has some sexual connotation. on the other hand, when i’m with my gay friends, it’s one of the least mentioned topics. there are real conversations about a lot of things.

why are you looking at lgbtq websites anyway? i think a shrink may consider it an infantile fascination that should have been left behind.

btw, why are these athletes so obsessed with their weenies? if you stop & think about it, they are about the most unattractive part of a man’s body…

24. FakeName says

Which do you suppose makes him more uncomfortable, the idea that a gay man would look at his penis and want it or that a gay man would look at his penis and not want it?

Regardless…ATTENTION MISTER PETERSON: MANY, MANY GAY MEN HAVE ALREADY SEEN YOUR PENIS. GET OVER IT.

25. Derrick from Philly says

“…if you stop & think about it, they are about the most unattractive part of a man’s body…”

Huh? I know one thing–they certainly come in handy.

And I’ve seen some attractive weenies in my time, but butts can be attractive too. It’s nice when a guy has both.

26. andrew says

@Alex: Out gay guys and straight guys showering in the same shower room doesn’t have to be a problem. I served on a U S Navy Destroyer for 3 years. There were at least a couple dozen out gay guys who used the same showers as the rest of the crew. I never heard of a single problem. Never saw a single boner in the shower room. No cruising. Guys have a different mind set for different occasions.

27. SC David says

Apropos of nothing, Peterson’s ex-teammate, Chris Kluwe, decided (with his wife’s encouragement) that he wanted to work on making his abs sexier. Kluwe refers to his abs regime as “Operation Adrian Abs.”

Peterson knows that straight men are looking at his body. He knows that women look at his body. His discomfort is over gay men looking at his body.

28. ty says

He is assuming that a gay player would be single and flirty?? Uh newsflash, the player would probably have a hot piece at home and couldn’t care less about a “co-worker”

29. walter says

the problem these jerks play with rapists . domestic abusers, thieves , alcoholics, drug addicts , and every other kind of social misfit but that doesn’t seem to upset their god given sensibilities.