DOMA | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News | Proposition 8 | Sean Patrick Maloney

BigGayDeal.com

Out Gay Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney's Emotional Reaction To SCOTUS Rulings: VIDEO

Maloney

Emotions were running high on Wednesday following the Supreme Court's rulings on Prop. 8 and DOMA. Among those caught up in the fervor was out gay Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney of New York. At a press conference of all the LGBT members of Congress, Maloney expressed his own feelings on the impact of the court's history-making decisions:

“I called my partner, Randy, of 21 years to tell him about the decision and to congratulate him and I really couldn’t get the words out. And I realized in that moment that it was the first time in 21 years, 20 of those years spent raising our 3 amazing children, that I wasn’t talking to him as someone who was seen as less than in the eyes of my own country’s laws.”

Check out a video of Maloney at the press conference AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He said it all. Perfectly.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 28, 2013 7:57:08 AM

2. No thanks to your party

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jun 28, 2013 9:00:22 AM

3. If you think you are truly equal, then take your spouse and freely travel the country and see when your marriage disappears, like when you cross a state line.

Posted by: Nigel | Jun 28, 2013 9:25:36 AM

4. "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country..."

I don't think our straight friends understand the joy we have for the Fed to treat us as citizens. Nothing more, nothing less. They really don't understand the daily large and small legal impediments we have. If we had not felt the full fisted amimus of a bashing, there was no discrimination.

My partner and I walked into our non-discriminating workplace in a non-marriage equality state yesterday with a spring in our step...and no one said a word about the rulings, not even us. Not one close friend/coworker asked how it might effect our 28 year relationship. Maybe because they don't hear us complain how messed up even the benefits package is for us, maybe because we have acclimated to the legal workarounds, maybe because our life together seems so middle class normal, the ruling doesn't appear to touch us.

We are going to have to calmly educate our friends and coworkers how important full civil marriage equality is to us.

Posted by: Gus | Jun 28, 2013 9:34:48 AM

5. The people of New York's 18th district are indeed fortunate to have such an outstanding representative.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 28, 2013 10:07:42 AM

6. He's seen as "less than" thanks to the party he chose to be a member of, and which, if it had its way, would continue to make life miserable for people like him and many others.

Posted by: Lee | Jun 28, 2013 10:14:29 AM

7. Lee. What are you talking about? He isn't a Republican.

Also, I concur with the sentiment that his country does in fact view him as unequal. Until all gay couples can marry wherever they choose to live in this country, we are not equal. Now is the time to move to get the remaining states that have not yet banned gay marriage in the fold and start moving legislatures in states that do have bans to repeal them where it can be done by a majority vote.

Posted by: Fancy | Jun 28, 2013 10:26:28 AM

8. Very moving. Words and emotions like those from Mr. Sean Patrick Maloney overcome a whole lot of hatred and win over many hearts and minds to the cause of EQUALITY.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 28, 2013 10:57:51 AM

9. he's a democrat...

Posted by: peterrrrrr | Jun 28, 2013 11:00:22 AM

10. I don't think there are any out gay republicans in either branch of congress. He's a democrat. There are of course tons of closeted self-hating gays in the repub party but this guy isn't one of them.

Posted by: Jersey | Jun 28, 2013 11:35:02 AM

11. Watching that moment on tv was glorious.
    My Love and I have been together for almost 18 years now...and we live in Texas....so seeing the happiness of those who have the ability to be full and equal citizens was incredible and moving....
    Now when the hell do we get a slice of the promise of America????

Posted by: mickey | Jun 28, 2013 12:00:08 PM

12. @Gus, I wish you and your partner much luck and I hope you encounter many receptive minds and hearts. I hope one day--and may that day come very, very soon--full civil equality for LGBTQ people will be a fact of life here in these sometimes but not always United States of America.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 28, 2013 12:00:32 PM

13. Umm...to all the daft people in the room..."Rep" stands for representative not Republican.

Posted by: pedro | Jun 28, 2013 12:54:00 PM

14. As someone who isn't married at home, but is married 4 miles away (over a state line) I can tell you how unequal we still are.

Until ENDA is passed and DOMA is truly gone, (and every State has marriage equality) we are all unequal.

Posted by: YsoSerious | Jun 28, 2013 6:19:58 PM