2016 Election | Dan Savage | News | Rick Santorum | Thomas Roberts

Dan Savage Talks to Thomas Roberts About Monogamy, Marriage, and Rick Santorum: VIDEO

Roberts_savage

Dan Savage joined Thomas Roberts on MSNBC for a chat about his new book American Savage, his thoughts on monogamy and marriage, and Rick Santorum's upcoming 2016 presidential run, which Savage thinks is a sure bet and great news for a Democratic opponent.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. There are some people here who think you're hating if you say you dislike Savage but I have to say, I don't like Savage.

Surely to god there must be other writers, thinkers, thoughtful people who could go on and chat about these things without the same people always ready and willing to market themselves, their children, partners,and sex lives to make a buck.

So boring!

Posted by: Ray | Jun 4, 2013 6:52:00 PM

2. Dan Savage and Thomas Roberts are at opposite ends of the self-centered, self-imagined, gay role models world.

Posted by: BG | Jun 4, 2013 7:13:18 PM

3. Savage is typical of gay leadership, which is chosen for their looks, not brains. But here he makes an excellent point.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jun 4, 2013 7:36:30 PM

4. Savage does a lot of good for the community and is a good role-model. Yes -- he is self-promoting but, for the most part, one must be so to get traction these days. I appreciate that you made an honest criticism and stated exactly why you don't like him -- we can agree to disagree. I am so friggin' tired of haters who just mindlessly bash Savage for no good reason.

Put me in the column of Dan's Fans.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jun 4, 2013 7:36:38 PM

5. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback, the thing with Dan Savage is that he is a sex advise columnist so he is highly aware of what makes people tick at a very base level. That means both gays and straights. In that regard he is an expert on human nature. That may not appeal to the more prudish gays, but for most of us, his comments are succinct and timely.

Posted by: ty | Jun 4, 2013 7:53:59 PM

6. Where is this vacuous community? If you can only have a "mostly" monogomous" marriage it must be easy to fool the community too.

Posted by: JG | Jun 4, 2013 7:59:38 PM

7. Thanks to Thomas Roberts and Dan Savage for being great role models and brave and eloquent spokesmen for our cause.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 4, 2013 8:05:13 PM

8. The comment by Wilberforce above is absurd. In the first place, Savage is not very good looking (his husband Terry is the looker in the family), but he is a powerful speaker. He has described himself as an "accidental activist." He didn't want to be one, but when the corporate gay culture began ignoring things like the suicides of gay youth and failing to push Democrats on repeal of DADT, etc., someone had to speak up. He did so and nearly always has something interesting to say.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 4, 2013 8:17:21 PM

9. Dan Savage annoys me because there is very little room in his universe for anyone who does not live and look and think like Dan Savage. Obviously he makes his living via snark, and sometimes it can be effective given the hate speech out there. I get that. But if you're trans, bi, fat, female, a receiver in the bedroom, non-white, and/or in an exclusive LTR, then it's hard not to read Savage as a self-righteous jerk much of the time.

Posted by: Edward | Jun 4, 2013 8:21:01 PM

10. I have to disagree, Edward. Dan has certainly in the past said questionable things about all of the groups you reference, but as a consistent reader for 20 years now, I've found that over time he has opened his mind as much as he has asked others to open theirs. He is not bi-phobic, trans-phobic, anti-woman, racist, etc. If you think he is, you haven't been keeping up with what he's been saying in the last few years.

And while he was popular for many years among a certain group, remember that his current national profile is due to starting the "It Gets Better Project." He didn't just jump in front of a news crew and start begging to be heard. The MSM has gone to HIM and asked him to speak and I think he's done a damn good job of it especially for someone that didn't start out pursuing the kind of visibility he now has.

tl;dr - I like him.

Posted by: Cal | Jun 4, 2013 8:34:02 PM

11. Several comments about Savage being some kind of prototype for a look we should aim for? No thanks. Thomas Roberts maybe, but Savage is just annoying, both in looks and persona.

Posted by: JJ | Jun 4, 2013 8:36:04 PM

12. Oh please, Edward. There's room for everyone. The thing I like most about Dan Savage is that he owns his own opinions and encourages others to go out and think for themselves. He doesn't lecture us from some self-created High and Mighty position. He never claims to have all the answers to everything. He's just one dude.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 4, 2013 8:36:09 PM

13. I don't see many other people standing up and speaking out like Dan Savage - I like him. I'd like a boyfriend that has a brain and convictions like him. He seems quite knowledgeable and thoughtful.

Posted by: steve | Jun 4, 2013 8:37:28 PM

14. Cal, that's probably one of the better comments about Savage that I've read. One that really should put the haters in their place.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 4, 2013 8:38:17 PM

15. His plastic surgery is showing...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 4, 2013 9:03:25 PM

16. Dan Savage sure gets some gay men worked up. He's smart, knows how to get attention, and is willing to call it as he sees it on national media. It's easy to disagree with Dan (I certainly do sometimes), but a lot of people seem most offended by his success, hence some of the small, bitter comments.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 4, 2013 9:11:59 PM

17. Dan Savage sure gets some gay men worked up. He's smart, knows how to get attention, and is willing to call it as he sees it on national media. It's easy to disagree with Dan (I certainly do sometimes), but a lot of people seem most offended by his success, hence some of the small, bitter comments.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 4, 2013 9:12:00 PM

18. @Ernie I'm not offended by his success. Unfortunatley, in this day in age you can be seen as successful for having a reality show. My problem with Dan Savage is that I have never seen the gay community call him, in public, on his sometime racist and biased views. I agree with a lot of what Dan Savage has to say but when you get into the weeds he bothers me and I can't throw my support for him. I'm happy that he's successful and in a happy relationship but so is Kim Kardashian.

Posted by: dpfeb | Jun 4, 2013 9:28:17 PM

19. Gotta disagree with Jay. Dan Savage is hot as hell.

But then, deep down I'm real shallow.

I read his column all the time and I am constantly amazed at how spot-on he is in his answers. Level-headed, intelligent, well-spoken, and hawt!

Posted by: Tatts | Jun 4, 2013 9:34:55 PM

20. There is no such thing as "mostly monogamous". You're either monogamous or you're not.

You can't be "mostly pregnant", either.

Posted by: Adam | Jun 4, 2013 9:45:28 PM

21. I don't see why people here are bashing Dan Savage. He fast on his feet, knows the issues and is a great fighter. I think he's hot too, as if that matters. I'm so glad he's on my side.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 4, 2013 9:49:12 PM

22. Dan Savage is hardly an authority on monogamy. He doesn't understand it.

Posted by: Gast | Jun 4, 2013 10:11:56 PM

23. I just plain love the guy. He is incredibly wise and experienced enough to know where to aim the axe. Along with many other gay celebrities, he is a fine role model.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jun 4, 2013 10:15:46 PM

24. He reeks lower-middle class. I think a lot of people get that vibe. He has the mongrel dog approach to male relationships--can't have that monogamy. He's fighting for everything our foes use against us. People who find him sexy, sadly, find everything male sexy. No doubt he's a nice guy.

Posted by: JG | Jun 4, 2013 11:26:32 PM

25. Can't you see these two on the ferry to the Pines? Ugh.

Posted by: tyto | Jun 4, 2013 11:30:25 PM