Oklahoma | Tornado | weather

Storm Chaser, Meteorologist Caught Inside Tornados That Killed 9 in Oklahoma: VIDEOS

Chaser

A series of tornadoes and flash floods have left nine people dead and more than 75 injured in the Oklahoma City metro area.

USA Today reports

The storm, the second fatal one to strike the region in 11 days, spawned several tornadoes, toppled cars and left commuters trapped on an interstate highway during Friday's evening rush. Law enforcement officers and Red Cross workers headed to hard-hit areas after dawn to assess the damage.

The storm also brought heavy rain and hail.Floodwaters topped 4 feet in Oklahoma City early Saturday and were expected to rise as flash flooding continued in parts of the state. Across east and central Oklahoma, repeated rounds of thunderstorms have produced between 4 to 7 inches of rain since midnight Saturday.

Some highways were closed because of downed power lines. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission reported at least 86,200 power outages related to the storms as of early Saturday.

Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 2.33.27 PMMeteorologist Mike Bettes and two photographers from the Weather Channel were hit by a tornado when chasing it in an SUV. Despite the tornado throwing their vehicle 200 yards through the air, all three survived with only minor injuries.

From the Weather Channel:

"That was the scariest moment of my life," Bettes said. "I had never been through anything like it before, and my life passed before my eyes."

He and the photographers were trying to outrun a tornado they spotted in El Reno, Okla., and failed.

Bettes said it felt like the vehicle tumbled over several times and was floating in air before crashing to the ground.

Watch Mike Bettes describe his experience and a dramatic video from storm chasers on the scene yesterday as they get caught inside one of the tornados, AFTER THE JUMP....

Watch this incredible footage taken by storm chasers yesterday:

Comments

1. What a drama queen.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jun 1, 2013 4:43:18 PM

2. Was that a cow that hit the windsheld?

Posted by: Zac Morris | Jun 1, 2013 4:49:32 PM

3. Why does it say 'Demo Video Not for Broadcast'? Why would a camera ever be focused on the squalling occupants of the vehicle instead of on the storm which they are ostensibly chasing? If you've got time to squeal "We're gonna die!" how much danger can you really be in? This is only slightly less fake than the kid in the runaway weather balloon. Yawn.

Posted by: Yawn. | Jun 1, 2013 4:56:57 PM

4. Tornadoes are nothing to play around with.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 1, 2013 5:15:00 PM

5. Supposedly there's actual footage from inside the vehicle Bettis was in as it was being thrown through the air.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 1, 2013 5:25:07 PM

6. Living in California I can say that I will gladly take earthquakes over tornados and hurricanes any time.

Posted by: jsb | Jun 1, 2013 6:08:55 PM

7. The one word I would not use to describe the guy is "speechless".

Posted by: BobN | Jun 1, 2013 6:53:31 PM

8. Hay hay hay!

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 1, 2013 7:08:57 PM

9. That reminded me of my last relationship.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Jun 1, 2013 7:55:18 PM

10. What a wuss straight-boy screamer guy is! Dorothy didn't scream like that!

Um, actually, I don't know if I should admire the stormchasers for their chutzpah or if I should look at them as the dumbest asses in the world!

My new favorite quote: "HURRY! FORTY'S NOT ENOUGH!!!!"

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 1, 2013 8:48:23 PM

11. God must be really pissed at Oklahoma about something, because everyone knows tornados are God's punishment. Maybe he's not happy about their ultra conservatism...

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 1, 2013 10:18:57 PM

12. That was a screen test for Helen Hunt's part in Twister, right?

Posted by: Gil | Jun 1, 2013 11:21:49 PM

13. How come the advice for citizens in a tornado is to exit your vehicle and lie flat in a ditch, when everyone else is apparently trying to ride out the tornado in their vehicle?

Posted by: Randy | Jun 1, 2013 11:22:35 PM

14. @Randy, Thank you.

Posted by: Joshua | Jun 1, 2013 11:48:35 PM

15. I have no doubt this is real. And even though I have less sympathy for storm chasers that put themselves in these dangerous situations, I don't think it's fair to call him a wussy and make fun. How do you think you'd act if you found yourself in imminent danger of death?

Posted by: James | Jun 2, 2013 4:52:19 AM

16. I have no doubt this is real. And even though I have less sympathy for storm chasers that put themselves in these dangerous situations, I don't think it's fair to call him a wussy and make fun. How do you think you'd act if you found yourself in imminent danger of death?

Posted by: James | Jun 2, 2013 4:52:19 AM
    __________________________________________

Personally, I wouldn't put myself in harms way, by "chasing tornadoes". This guy is only a student. He might want to actually finish his schooling before taking this sort of risk with his, and his friends' lives.

I've seen flaming nelly drag queens behave more butch than this guy...

Posted by: theother lee | Jun 2, 2013 6:35:58 AM

17. Seriously, this can't be taken seriously as it is as long as the passenger seat guy is there. He needs to take his stuffed animal and lie down in the back or leave the truck. He is too much of a distraction for the driver.

If he was not acting he would be swearing. If he feels it is wrong to swear, he would feel it is wrong to ride shotgun in a truck in Oklahoma.

Posted by: gunther | Jun 2, 2013 8:30:53 AM

18. Attention whores. Not to mention VERY bad acting. There are first responders and search and rescue who really do put their own lives on the line in many disaster situations. Firefighters are amazing, going into building engulfed by fire, possibility of collapse and explosions. Then there's these dudes mugging for the camera, deliberately putting themselves in harms way.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2013 8:44:35 AM

19. ...and not wearing a seatbelt through the entire thing until the end. Dope.

I do get the feeling that he was saying random stuff that they could use for later edits.

Posted by: Tatts | Jun 2, 2013 9:21:39 AM

20. F**King IDOTS. I have no pity for these people trying to test Mother Nature; all for video footage. Gayest Straight Men I have heard or seen. Stupid.

Posted by: Steven | Jun 2, 2013 9:50:27 AM

21. Look all you idiots these are trained meteorologist and researchers and they are not putting themselves in harm's way for the thrill of the chase but to gather important information in an effort to try to give everyone that lives in tornado area more warning so they can take cover and protect themselves and their families. If the idiots that are not trained spotters/chasers would stay off the road and out of the way it would go a long way in assuring that those that are trained can get out of harms way when neccesaary.

Posted by: machIII | Jun 2, 2013 11:20:45 AM

22. Brett Wright, the driver, is way cute.

@jsb
    As a lifelong Cali boy, no way, I'd take tornado's any day because there's plenty of warning that they're coming. The 1994 Northridge quake where I was 10 miles from the epicenter? Not so much.

Plus, you forgot all the CA brush fires and the winter flooding that result from them. :-)

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jun 2, 2013 1:43:01 PM

23. @MachIII: "...they are not putting themselves in harm's way for the thrill of the chase.."

Then why was the camera focused INTO the cab again?

Three "storm-chasers" got killed on Friday. I highly doubt that whatever video footage they might've gotten was worth their lives. They were idiots in chase of a little macho swagger--if they left wives and children behind, exponential idiots.

I'm sorry about the loss of life, but I totally do not respect what these idiots do. It's only a half-rung above getting gored by a bull in Pamplona on the stupidity ladder.

Posted by: Joder Con El Toro..... | Jun 2, 2013 3:02:16 PM

24. When did samesex marriage become legal in Oklahoma? I really can't think of any other explanation for their recent weather...

Posted by: jim | Jun 2, 2013 4:10:23 PM

25. Oklahoma banned gay marriage in 2004 with a vote of 75.6%. God is punishing them.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 2, 2013 4:42:24 PM