Wausau, WI Alderman: Turn Backs on ‘Deviant-Behaving Individuals’ in Gay Pride Parade

Yesterday I reported that Wausau, Wisconsin is planning to hold its first Gay Pride parade on June 22, and local and state bigots aren't happy about it.

NuttingProgressive blog Blue Cheddar reports today that Wausau’s 3rd District Alderman David Nutting is telling residents to physically turn their backs to the parade:

“I represent an overwhelming majority of district 3 residents who oppose allowing a parade of deviant-behaving individuals to be escorted by public law enforcement members through the very heart of our family-oriented city to a beautiful family-oriented public park where no doubt their choice of indecent behavior will be on full display for influential children and the media to proclaim it worldwide. This isn’t speech. This is behavior. I ask that all residents stay away from the parade or if you do go, stand with your back to the parade of deviant-behaving individuals. I respectfully ask for our various media outlets to pay little or no attention to the parade just as you do to any other parade in this city…”

Comments

1. HadenoughBS says

Just another typical homophobic All-American idiot elected to represent non-deviant constituents, especially straight-laced God-fearin’ families with impressionable kiddos who don’t believe in the right of gays to exist in their pure Christianist world. Disgusting!

2. Sam says

“influential children”? Who does he think is going to be there? Who are these influential children?

Or perhaps, he means “easily influenced children.”

3. guynyc says

I still get confused how there are still people out there like this…I know they exist, I run into them often, but it’s such a stark dichotomy between what I see every day among friends and family.

It’s scary, but it feels that we haven’t truly figured out how to stop it.

4. JONES says

Apparently there’s more controversy with Wausau’s Pride Parade than just the opposition from Nutting.

Blue Cheddar comments from Shannon Thomas indicate that an alternate March for Equality will be held the same day. One focusing on the politics of equality and the other on shows.

PS ‘Nutting’ And nobody went there ??

5. Al says

I’m sure he’s coming from a different angle with his eternal opposition but, based on the parades in NYC, I can understand some complaints or concerns. A large portion of parade-goers are half-dressed in jock straps and thongs, wagging their dicks, which really has nothing to do with pride than exhibitionism. Even as a gay kid, I don’t really need to see that. And, if that doesn’t phase anyone, the NYC parade is notorious for not keeping out NAMBLA to march in the tail end of the parade. Itj’s been going on for years.There are mixed and unnecessary messages from both side of these events.

6. Brian says

It’s too easy to attack this guy on the basis of his name, alone (as appropriately named as he may be). We need to find a way to get this ignoramuses to sit down and allow themselves to be educated, rather than indoctrinated by superstitious, backward-thinking religious leaders.

7. Chuck Mielke says

Just as a Pride parade is mostly presented for supporters, Nutting is talking to his fear-stoked, anti-communist, Joe McCarthy-loving, red-necked troll base. Wausau is deep in the heart of snow-mobiling, deer-shining country; I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if violence breaks out during either the parade or the Equality celebration. I hope to be proven wrong.

But, there’s that abusive phrase about the local media paying no attention to other parades. Can this guy be so out of touch, or so over-confident, that he can risk offending the media?

8. Bill says

@Al : if the San Francisco event is any indication (haven’t seen the NY one), hardly anyone goes around wearing just jockstraps or thongs. A few people might be in underwear or a bathing suit, mostly on commercial floats, and it is nothing you would not see at a beach.

You might see an occasional naked guy – maybe one person in 10,000 – but you don’t need a Pride parade to see that in San Francisco. Recently a crazy naked guy caused a ruckus at a BART station: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/06/12/naked-acrobat-terrorizes-bart-riders-at-sf-station/ (it took a while for the police to show up and nab him).

As to NAMBLA being “in” the NYC parade, gay rights groups tried to block NAMBLA’s participation. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hay it seems that NAMBLA has been banned from the NYC Pride Parade and other parades. The dates it gives are ones relevant to a particular individual, Harry Hays, with dates given in the 1980s and 990s. This organization seems to have been banned once people figured out what they really were up to.

9. Jim says

And when Mr. Nutting attends the parade, will he be wearing leather or a tutu? City streets and parks belong to everybody, Mr. Nutting, not just “family-oriented” demagogues like you.

10. says

oh the irony! the folks who worry about “people in speedos or jockstraps” are the same folks who don’t batt an eyelash at the glorification of gun-culture.

nobody dies from sexy bodies in speedos. people die every day from the pro-gun culture you pathetically glorify.

#suckit

11. robert says

So has he been to a parade?
    what does he think happens in a Pride parade.
    Lets see um marching band, floats, PFLAG, Dykes on Bikes, lots of people wearing rainbow shirts and clothing, banners that say we want equal rights. Since when are people walking in a show of community support labeled as deviant? Oh I know the Civil Rights Movement…you Bigot!

12. Sheila says

I am a parent of a lesbian. I am proud of my daughter and her partner! I live in Wausau, my daughter was raised her. I am ashamed of the council members remarks. I plan on attending the parade and will support the LGBT community. My husband and son will be going with me. I told my daughter and her partner to come up and walk in the parade. There are many people who will support the parade, and a few who are bigots, But I think everyone should come and support the parade. You never know if your child is struggling with the issue of coming out. Remember go and support the parade!!

13. nunya bizness says

He’s a homophobe…. fk wausau… gay pride has nothing to do with indecencey…. david nutting go ahead and turn your back and see if something stiff runs up that tight ass of yours…. GAY PRIIIIIDE GOOOOOOOOO US…..

14. Brigitte says

Mr. Nutting: don’t forget to love thy neighbor. God created all of us equally. Jesus preached acceptance. Don’t forget that.

So many of my friends are in same sex relationships, and they have families. they provide loving, caring, stable homes for their children. I have never seen any of them participate in deviant behavior.

Who deems you fit enough to judge your fellow man? I thought the judging was left up to the Lord.

and lastly, let he who lives without sin cast the first stone.