Common | Eric Holder | Martin Luther King, Jr. | News | News Clips | Trayvon Martin

Attorney General Eric Holder 'Shares Concern' About Zimmerman Case, MLK Image Goes Viral: VIDEO

Holder

In a speech given today in Washington, D.C. to a gathering of the predominantly African-American sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, Attorney General Eric Holder spoke out about the George Zimmerman case for the first time since Zimmerman was acquitted on all charges:

“The Deltas are deeply and rightly concerned about this case. The Justice Department shares your concern. I share your concern. And as we first acknowledged last spring we have opened an investigation into this matter. Independent of the legal determination that will be made I believe that this tragedy provides yet another opportunity for our nation to speak honestly about the complicated and emotionally charged issues that this case has raised. We must not, as we have too often in the past, let this opportunity pass.”

The Washington Post reports that Holder will speak about the Zimmerman case in further detail tomorrow when he addresses the NAACP in Florida.

In his statement, Holder also pledged, "We are determined to meet division and confusion with understanding and compassion — and also with truth."

MLK Over the weekend, an image of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a black hoodie, created by concept artist and Disney imagineer Nikkolas Smith back in 2011 in the wake of Trayvon Martin's shooting, went viral after former Obama administration adviser and soon-to-be co-host of CNN's re-vamped political debate show Crossfire, Van Jones, re-introduced the image into circulation on Twitter, asking others to re-tweet and share the image. Rapper Common also shared a version of the image on Facebook and it quickly began to trend on Instagram under the hashtag, "MLK."

As BuzzFeed notes:

"[Smith] titled the image April 4, 1968, the date MLK Jr. was killed, and coincidentally, also Smith’s birthday. One of his captions for the image is 'Suspect or Saint?'

'I write that because you don’t know who these people are,' he says. 'You don’t know if you shot the next Martin Luther King.'"

Watch a short clip of Holder's speech AFTER THE JUMP...

(image: Nikkolas Smith via Facebok)

Comments

1. The truth is that MLK, Jr. would be ashamed of the racism of Holder, Obama, and those who have persecuted Zimmerman simply because he is White/Hispanic.

Posted by: James E. Pietrangelo, II | Jul 15, 2013 7:09:04 PM

2. Troll time!

Posted by: moike | Jul 15, 2013 7:14:06 PM

3. Yes, I was just complaining another thread about the trolls here.

I love how racists want to now claim MLK as their own. Its absurd, but they feel like because they aren't wearing the white hoods, that makes them less racist.

Clue: You are not fooling anyone.

Posted by: Factoid | Jul 15, 2013 7:21:11 PM

4. @factoid. you do your argument no favors throwing around "white hoods" insinuations.

trolls on both sides when it comes to race

Posted by: gomez | Jul 15, 2013 7:49:27 PM

5. I agree 100 percent with the first post. And for Holder to imply Zimmerman will be "prosecuted" again is to make a mockery of the US judicial system. The jury was six women chosen by both sides, and they made a unanimous decision. Live with it.

Posted by: MIke | Jul 15, 2013 7:49:58 PM

6. The grotesque racism on display in these threads is making me ill.

Shame.

Posted by: melvin | Jul 15, 2013 7:55:55 PM

7. Yeah, when you don't want to face facts, you cry "racism"! It was Alan Deshowitz, Harvard Law Professor, who said this was a kangaroo court. Is he racist?

Posted by: MIke | Jul 15, 2013 8:45:29 PM

8. the suggest Zimmerman is being persecuted because of his race is UTTERLY ridiculous.

I don't care if he is purple. He went out armed to hunt "criminals." He was specifically told by the police NOT to confront the "suspicious" youth. He pulled a gun on a kid, who (as anyone would) tried to take it away from him. I wasn't there... Maybe if Martin had gotten the gun away - we would have had a different trial.

But make NO mistake, if Zimmerman had just stayed home to watch TV, carried a stun gun instead, or heeded the 911 dispatchers who told him to back off, Trayvon Martin would be alive.

Posted by: fanboi | Jul 15, 2013 8:45:41 PM

9. I guarantee that the jackasses on here complaining of white persecution also wrongly complain that minorities don't support LGBT rights. Sickening.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jul 15, 2013 9:10:29 PM

10. That MLK image is DISGRACEFUL. How any sane and reasonably educated person can look at that and not cringe is beyond me, especially if they're black. No Limit N-word is being compared to Martin Luther King. The man must be rolling in his grave.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 15, 2013 9:15:48 PM

11. @ RATBASTARD

The intent is not to compare MLK to Trayvon Martin. In MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech he said that he dreamed of a day when people would be judged on the content of their character and not by their skin color.

Trayvon Martin was profiled and judged by George Zimmerman as being a criminal solely for being a black teen walking down the street which then led to his murder.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 15, 2013 10:18:39 PM

12. @Brian in Texas,

You know what's sad [truly sad] and what you and others leave out when you complain about Trayvon being 'profiled'? Young black males DO in fact very disproportionately commit a lot of VIOLENT crime and a HUGE amount of gun related crime, the majority in the U.S., actually. This is what almost all 'progressives' try to ignore, shy away from, or mock as 'racist', and untrue. It of course ISN'T untrue. Neither is it 'racist' to mention it and to understand this is the NUMBER ONE REASON why young black guys like Trayvon are 'profiled'.

Brian, when I'm in certain situation and environments where my safety especially could be compromised, I 'profile' those around me. I make snap judgments, and act accordingly. I don't act like a PC zombie, which is a very fool hardy thing for anybody to act when their safety and security is concerned. And I'm not just talking about young male 'of color', I'm talking about all kinds of people and characters. But luckily I'm a really good judge of people under such circumstances due to a lot of experience, and I wouldn't behave like all young males 'of color' are a threat, which of course is beyond stupid. I can generally tell if a [for the sake of argument, young man, of any 'color'] is a potential threat by the way they hold themselves, the way they speak, etc., Although that line can be very blurry. Many 'thugs' don't dress, act and speak the stereotypical way some people think they do [such people are brainwashed by stereotypes from TV, movies, etc.]. Many bad people who will do you harm and will if given the chance can be quite charming and 'cool'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 16, 2013 12:10:27 AM

13. Well, the jurors heard the evidence and testimony.

I have to say, if this jury can't convict him, everybody should sit back and take a deep breath and let the clue sink in.

Or are you just too embarrassed to admit the media used Martin, Zimmerman, and you, again ?

Posted by: Buckie | Jul 16, 2013 1:31:51 AM