Elton John | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Elton John to Undergo Surgery After Being Stricken with Appendicitis

Sir Elton John canceled tour dates today and a spokesman confirmed that he has appendicitis, according to a notice posted on his website:

EltonThe multi-award-winning artist had called in doctors after falling ill during his recent European tour. Following a number of exploratory scans and blood tests with his medical team in the UK, a diagnosis of appendix abscess surrounding retrocaecal appendicitis has been confirmed.

Sir Elton is currently undergoing a course of intensive antibiotics and is expected to undergo surgery in the UK in the coming weeks, once doctors can be confident they have sufficiently reduced toxins within the inflamed appendicitis site.

John was told to postpone all forthcoming European shows:

The spokesman confirmed Sir Elton will not return to touring until he has fully recovered from both the planned surgery and any damage caused by the appendix abscess. He added, "Elton is incredibly disappointed to postpone these tour dates. To know that he made such super-human efforts and continued to perform to thousands through his illness only confirms his dedication to his European fans. He is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."

Comments

1. "Now many of you may have heard that I was stricken with appendicitis, but I am here to tell you the truth, Cleveland, and that is, that in a spasm of sisterly generosity, I have donated my tits to Cher."
    Don't let me the oldest queen; who recognises this?

Posted by: scotsyank | Jul 9, 2013 8:08:31 PM

2. I hope he recovers! Simply love his music, especially the song "Daniel." Apparently, "Daniel" is about a man who volunteered to fight for the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War. According to the song, "Daniel says [Franco's Spain] is the best place that he's ever been." Took a lot of guts to write something like that in the '60s!

!Arriba Espana! !Viva Sir Elton John!

Posted by: ernstroehm's ghost | Jul 9, 2013 8:08:47 PM

3. 'Daniel' was written in the 70's, and makes no reference to Franco. Lovely song still, though.

Posted by: scotsyank | Jul 9, 2013 8:19:04 PM

4. When I first heard of this procedure for treating appendicitis I almost thought it was joke. Even with a burst appendix today's procedure is to treat with antibiotics and then operate laparoscopically up to two months later.

Posted by: JONES | Jul 9, 2013 8:32:14 PM

5. @Jones Um, isnt that whats happening? They are treating him with an intensive course of antibiotics and then they will operate. It may be laparascopically and it may not. My sister just had a severe case of appendicitis and they did exactly that with her, but they did not do it laparascopically as it was severe and there were some other complications.

Posted by: OberonOZ | Jul 9, 2013 8:53:20 PM

6. Step aside, scotsyank! Only room enough for one oldest queen. The Divine Miss M ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jul 9, 2013 8:55:51 PM

7. Step aside, scotsyank! Only room enough for one oldest queen. The Divine Miss M ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jul 9, 2013 8:55:51 PM

8. Having been there with a ruptured appendix some 42 years ago and a month in the hospital at 9 years old, touch and go (about the time I was begging my father for $7.00 to buy Elton's Greatest Hits I), I hope the medical advances since then clear the way for a modern day speedy recovery.

Be well Sir Elton. Here's wishing you back on your feet and back in the news with your positive example as a gay parent.

Still love your music, love David, loving watching the kids growing up absolutely "blessed."

Peace and Love from the Caribbean!

Posted by: castaway | Jul 9, 2013 9:34:42 PM

9. @OberonOZ
    Yes they are doing the new treatment with Elton.
    Old style was an emergency surgery which often had severe
    consequences and a prolonged hospital stay much like castaway describes.
    When you say burst appendix most people still think of peritonitis and emergency surgery but more often that's not the case in today's medicine.
    Not all cases can be treated this way and your sisters complications probably necessitated surgery.

@castaway
    Glad you made it and hope you got the album.
    And if you did get it that you still have it.
    Can't beat vinyl for sound quality.

Posted by: JONES | Jul 9, 2013 10:16:14 PM

10. I hope he's OK.

Love his music from 1969-1973 ("Empty Sky" to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road") plus some later stuff like "Songs from the West Coast", what a hot streak he and Bernie had! My second concert ever was EJ at the Forum in late 1974, still one of the very best concerts I've ever been to.

His new album is getting a good pre-release buzz, looking forward to hearing it.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jul 9, 2013 11:14:32 PM

11. Looks like that spell Madonna put on him finally worked!

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 10, 2013 7:58:36 AM

12. I always thought Daniel was written about me.

Posted by: Dan | Jul 10, 2013 12:18:40 PM

13. @ JONES
    Thanks for the <3! No I don't still have the vinyl, lol. Must have gone in a garage sale somewhere down the line --just like my CD's are destined to go soon. Surely it was worn out as I played it over and over, particularly "Daniel." I didn't actually get it until at 14 I finally had to buy it for myself and wrap it up and put it under the Xmas tree "to me from Santa." lol

Posted by: castaway | Jul 10, 2013 9:45:17 PM

14. PS: probably the only thing on my "bucket list" would to see Elton perform live someday. Better make it soon as the clock is ticking, eh?

Posted by: castaway | Jul 10, 2013 10:00:02 PM