Chicago | Music | Music Video | News | Steve Grand

Steve Grand's Slow Rendition of "All-American Boy" Will Melt Your Heart: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 2.08.24 PM

Gay country music heartthrob Steve Grand stopped by Windy City Live in his hometown of Chicago to discuss his sudden career success, the inspiration behind his hit song, and debut his first ever television performance: a poignant keyboard rendition of "All-American Boy." I don't know about you, but I certainly enjoy watching this smouldering star's rise to fame.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very nice. Grand's cover of "How To Love,"
    that he recorded in 2012, is also good...

Posted by: Ken | Jul 19, 2013 4:51:56 PM

2. Proud and open from the beginning! I hope he continues to be a huge success. Beautiful, writes his own stuff and can really sing live without auto tune. A dream come true!

Posted by: dorishin | Jul 19, 2013 5:07:42 PM

3. you lost me at country music. id rather sit in on a sarah palin lecture.

Posted by: nowayjose | Jul 19, 2013 5:09:19 PM

4. Why does everyone keep describing him as a "gay country singer." He said himself, that he doesn't consider himself country.

Posted by: James | Jul 19, 2013 5:17:58 PM

5. Very real and authentic young artist artist, but I have to say (in the words of Randy Jackson) - a little pitchy. I wish him all the best.

Posted by: Tony Diaz | Jul 19, 2013 5:26:31 PM

6. He sings with such honesty and passion in his voice, I'll take that over boring "perfect" vocals any day and no auto tune. He has more of a Bon Jovi sound in his video that I prefer, I don't see him as a country artist but broader appeal. Almost forgot, HE"S HOT!

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 19, 2013 5:40:45 PM

7. I don't think "pitchy" means what you think it means. Steve had some weak phrasing in this performance (a very common vocal failing for untrained singers) but this was still a very creditable live (with no electronic assistance or enhancements) performance. It's a beautiful song and he performed it well, given the situation. Kudos to Steve for his song, his singing and his honesty.

Posted by: Bob | Jul 19, 2013 5:42:52 PM

8. Go Stevie, go...! Haters gonna hate, walk by them, smile and wave. Nothing but admiration for you...!

Posted by: John | Jul 19, 2013 5:51:57 PM

9. I love watching comets pick up more and more speed and stardust. Go Steve!

Posted by: Dback | Jul 19, 2013 5:53:28 PM

10. video not loading.

Posted by: MIleHighJoe | Jul 19, 2013 6:09:15 PM

11. Grand has had the experience of getting rejected by straight men "a thousand times"??? That ridiculousness only compounds the inanity of reinforcing the myth that all gays are out to get straights in bed which recent research shows is THE main fear behind homophobia and opposition to gay equality.

Finally, as a gay columnist for "Slate" summed up: "This particular narrative of the tantalizing straight guy and lovesick queen is so hackneyed in gay culture as to be laughable. Perhaps the only bright spot is that it ends not with a punch in the face or scene of public humiliation but with a gentle dismissal. I guess that means that change has occurred on the gay panic front, which is nice. But what the video also suggests is that gays are still hovering on the periphery of straight parties and couplings, yearning for a chance to get in on the action—instead of finding love and happiness among our increasingly legally protected selves. It’s just that now, rather than getting a bloody nose when the ruse falls apart, our hero will merely be left alone. Tolerance, in other words, is the best we can hope for. Forgive me, but I find that a little less than revolutionary."

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jul 19, 2013 6:16:00 PM

12. Can we just call him a singer for now? Does he have to be a "star?" That seems like a lot of pressure to dump on a kid who hasn't released a single LP yet. (Has he even released an EP?)

I'd love for him to become a "star" -- goodness knows we could use a few more successful LGBT musicians on the pop charts -- but he's just not there yet and there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 19, 2013 6:43:10 PM

13. PS. The singing was fine. People who complained about it are nuts. It was certainly not "pitchy."

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 19, 2013 6:49:20 PM

14. I love him, he's gorgeous, and he's got a wonderful voice, but I really hope if he is on his way to stardom, that he hires a publicity coach to help him with his public appearances, because there are just way too many 'you know's in that interview.

Posted by: bernard | Jul 19, 2013 6:53:50 PM

15. He is certainly not a very good interview with all his ahhs and halting and inability to explain himself. Youth and good looks keeps you interested and his does have a nice voice. Let's hope he isn't a one-hit wonder because I'd really like to see him around.

Not wild about the song especially when he takes one word and spreads it across ten notes, catches a breath, and adds a few more repeats.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jul 19, 2013 6:55:16 PM

16. Calling Steve "country" is the least of his worries. The thing that will kill his career is calling him "gay". It's a career-killer because it stereotypes him and it also tells women that he is not date-worthy.

Female consumers drive a lot of the sales of artists whose music sounds like Steve's. They won't buy from him except, perhaps, in a fit of token support which quickly fades. Just look at Adam Lambert's fading commercial appeal.

If you need any proof of females' aversion to gay and bisexual male singers, just look at the itunes top 100 singles chart in the USA, Britain or Australia. Not one charting act is an openly gay or bi male. Pat Robertson would be proud.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 19, 2013 7:07:00 PM

17. It may be hackneyed for a gay boy to pine away for the striaght boy, but that's because it's still so common. For a lot of gay kids in their teens (for anyone, for that matter), you have no control over whom you are attracted to. And in many schools or communities, there may not be a whole bunch of gay kids just like you looking for love.

I fell in love with striaght guys all the time. I knew it was a disaster, and it was real heartbreak, but I was young and I couldn't control my desires any more than you can.

I wish him success, and perhaps if this hackneyed story reaches more straight people they will be gentle with us when we do fall for them. like anyone should be when you have someone loving you and you can't love them back.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 19, 2013 7:49:43 PM

18. The trolls question alot gay musicians on here, and yet Cher gets a pass....interesting..

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 19, 2013 8:53:39 PM

19. Something worrisome must be happening on anyone who makes more than two sentences commenting just a relatively great performing of a simple gay guy with dreams. Chill.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Jul 19, 2013 9:17:01 PM

20. Thought he was hot at first "You know" but this would have been better "You know" had had he not killed the interview "you know". Once he opened his mouth "you know" he lost me "you know??" Needs some help with the interview process "you know"

Posted by: matt | Jul 19, 2013 9:31:20 PM

21. Talented and total hottie.

Posted by: tikko | Jul 19, 2013 9:45:22 PM

22. That was great!

Posted by: Theo | Jul 19, 2013 9:47:54 PM

23. He's actually very talented. I'd edit a few melismas, but other than that, he really has a good sense of pitch, rhythm, movement, and melody line.

And he's gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

This song could be sung by a girl about a hot guy. I think it will be very popular, and I think he will also be popular with the ladies.

Posted by: bravo | Jul 19, 2013 10:13:02 PM

24. Why am I craving some cheddar? And if only there was some url I might be able to find him at.

Posted by: robbergenius | Jul 19, 2013 10:32:14 PM

25. "Y'now" "Y'know" "Y'know"

ARRRRGHHH!