News | News Clips | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Trans Teens Find Love While Transitioning Together

Arin Andrews and Katie HillAt first glance, Arin Andrews and Katie Hill of Oklahoma are your average young couple. However, the two met under what some might consider unusual circumstances, and have found themselves in the limelight as a result. Katie and Arin are both trans, and met each other at a support group in Tulsa. Furthermore, the two have, as the British tabloid The Sun called it, "swapped genders", and met each other while both undergoing the transition process.

Two years ago, Arin and Katie were known as Emerald and Luke, respectively. One excelled at ballet and competed in beauty contests, while the other was the son of a Marine Colonel. Both struggled throughout their childhoods with their identities. 'The teachers separated the girls and boys into separate lines for a game... I didn't understand why they asked me to stand with the girls," Arin told the Daily Mail. "Girly things didn't interest me, but I was worried what people would think if I said I wanted to be a boy, so I kept it secret." Meanwhile, Katie confided that "Even from age three, I knew deep down I wanted to be a girl. All I wanted was to play with dolls. I hated my boy body and never felt right in it." The two unfortunately had to endure bullying throughout their childhoods, which was one of the many reasons why they bonded so quickly during their first days together.

“Being transgender myself, I understand Arin better than anybody else — how good he feels and how complete he feels," Katie told The Sun. She also quipped to Daily Mail: "We're both size five, so we even swap our old clothes our [mothers] bought us but we hated."

Now that the two have successfully completed their transitions, they can resume their lives with each other in bodies they feel more comfortable in.

"Now when I’m out in a public pool or lifting weights, no one raises an eyebrow. They just think I’m a guy. ... I can wear a tank top, which I couldn’t before, and I can go swimming shirtless. I can just be a regular guy. And I’m so lucky to have my family and Katie to rely on."

Arin Andrews Katie Hill 2Katie added...

"We look so convincing as a boy and a girl, nobody even notices now. We secretly feel so good about it because it's the way we've always wanted to be seen."

HuffPost Gay Voices editor Noah Michelson, when discussing this story on the site, noted that...

"It brings to light the idea that sexuality and gender are not the same thing. So both of these individuals are heterosexual...They're not gay just because they're transgender, and that's something that blows people's minds still."

Although, if you ask Katie, she offers a much simpler analysis...

"To me, Arin’s just my Arin. He’s always looked manly to me. But now he’s had the surgery he’s much more confident and comfortable with himself."

Watch The Sun's original video and read the full story HERE.

You can watch HuffPost discuss the story on video HERE.

Comments

1. Before the anti-Trans trolls come out to ruin this thread, let me just congratulate these two beautiful individuals. Inspiring.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 24, 2013 2:35:15 PM

2. GORGEOUS couple!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jul 24, 2013 2:37:08 PM

3. They are both crazy adorable.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 24, 2013 2:37:09 PM

4. WONDERFUL! oh, how this story makes me heart burst. lovely, lovely, lovely. and yes, they're both gorgeous as heck. she's a doll and he's a world of WOOF.

love is beautiful.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 24, 2013 2:39:45 PM

5. Congrats on the transition and being able to feel comfortable in their own skin. You can see how happy they both feel... Both of them are ridiculously attractive, too. :-)

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 24, 2013 2:41:09 PM

6. This is kinda weird. It's like a soap opera plot.

Anyway, I hope the best for both of them. Some people are just lucky in love.

Posted by: duckie | Jul 24, 2013 2:45:55 PM

7. Rather unique story, but beautiful. All the best to them.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 24, 2013 2:52:58 PM

8. What a beautiful couple. I'm so happy for them. I wish more kids had supportive parents like theirs.

Posted by: Nick Name | Jul 24, 2013 2:53:08 PM

9. That's very sweet. Good on them.

Posted by: yuninv | Jul 24, 2013 2:55:03 PM

10. "Although, if you ask Katie, she offers a far less intellectual analysis.."

Something about that line made me cringe so hard. I'm sure RJ can come up with a similar sentence that isn't so painfully awkward and unintentionally insulting.

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 24, 2013 2:56:01 PM

11. Lovely story.

Posted by: mitch | Jul 24, 2013 2:57:01 PM

12. The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "that dude must have been a girl at some point - baby-making hips for days".

Either way, they're cute. Positive vibes their way :)

Posted by: Rick | Jul 24, 2013 3:03:29 PM

13. Wonderful story. I wish them the best.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 24, 2013 3:10:54 PM

14. This is stupid. So he didn't like breasts, fine. But he likes breasts now?

Posted by: litper | Jul 24, 2013 3:42:08 PM

15. Litper, someone's sex has nothing to do with their sexual orientation. I think that this story proves that.

Posted by: Cadence | Jul 24, 2013 3:51:09 PM

16. Really great story. I've always wondered as well why Trans is part of LGBT? It's not sexuality; it's gender.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 24, 2013 3:56:23 PM

17. Try as you might, you never lose those woman's hips...

Posted by: TomTallis | Jul 24, 2013 3:59:01 PM

18. They're beautiful (not saying that in any "surprised" way b/c they're trans, just pointing it out). Vapid response, I know, but wow.

Congrats to the both of them on their transition and on finding love!

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jul 24, 2013 4:07:22 PM

19. @Rowan - because gender-identity and gender-expression continue to earn the ire of Right-Wing Conservatives, just like being gay does.

they don't want gay people to be freely, openly, GAY.

and they dont' want transgendered people to be openly, freely, transgendered.

that's why it's LGBT. because we're all in it together, and we're stronger when we stand united together. maybe now, in 2013, you'll finally understand this.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 24, 2013 4:07:40 PM

20. So this is a story about a heterosexual couple. They were heterosexual before their "transition" and they are heterosexual after. What does this have to do with gay people?

Posted by: AndyW. | Jul 24, 2013 4:08:09 PM

21. How romantic. Hopefully, they will be given a double room at the psych ward.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jul 24, 2013 4:14:24 PM

22. The gay community needs to stop with the trans-phobia, it is disgusting. I hear it all the time, especially online. Discrimination isn't OK and the fact that another discriminated minority has the gall to promote discrimination of another is just insane.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Jul 24, 2013 4:18:57 PM

23. @you didn't get the point, lgbT people

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 24, 2013 4:20:34 PM

24. Little Kiwi--

Gotta disagree with you on LGBT bro. There is no one right wing with one view of all gays and all trans people. For some it may be a gender thing and for others it may be a Bible thing and for others it may be a sexual hangup. Who knows and who cares? Even if some teabaggers lump gay and trans together, you can't go around defining gay people based on what some right wingers hangups might be.

Truth is that sex is different than gender. Gay and trans are two different things. And we are not stronger when we buy into a lie that they are the same.

Posted by: CameronSanDiego | Jul 24, 2013 4:21:14 PM

25. Jesus H, commenters here can't stop bitching about the - largely imaginary - hostility from the black community, even in the face of massive support from black people. But guess who is first to throw trans people over the side of the boat?

Disgusting. What part of equal is so friggin hard to understand?

Posted by: melvin | Jul 24, 2013 4:55:09 PM