Weiner’s Wiener In The Headlines Again

Anthony WeinerFormer Congressman and current New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner found himself at the center of even more phallocentric controversy early Tuesday upon the revelation of new images depicting racy online conversations between him and another younger woman.

Weiner acknowledged his transgressions in an impromptu news conference in New York City. He admitted to sending explicit text and picture messages to multiple women, and did so for more than a year after leaving Congress disgraced for engaging in the very same behavior. Weiner did not delve into any specifics as to the amount or frequency of such exchanges, or the identity of any of the women he messaged. Instead, he offered this vague explanation in a statement:

“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me."

The New York Times, in their report of the events, made sure to mention that…

"The revelation collides with the narrative Mr. Weiner has offered throughout the campaign, in which he has repeatedly suggested that he has spent his time since leaving Congress rehabilitating himself and repairing his family relationships."

Weiner Chat 1The images in question first appeared on the gossip site "The Dirty", which offers a disclaimer at the bottom that "the content that is published contains rumors, speculation, assumptions, opinions, and factual information. Postings may contain erroneous or inaccurate information." The site's publisher, Nik Richie, did defend the authenticity of his post, saying that:

"My source is solid. She really thought Anthony Weiner and her were in love, they spoke on the phone daily multiple times a day for 6 months. Anthony Weiner played with her emotions and mind. Most calls were phone sex. He promised her many things including a condo in Chicago (1235 S. Prairie Ave) where they were planning to meet up to have sex. Anthony Weiner has a shoe fetish, particularly heels."

Said images depict Weiner interacting with a woman whose username and avatar are blurred out, and depict Weiner interacting under both his real name and the pseudonym "Carlos Danger". At certain points in their exchanges, Weiner expressed that he was "deeply flawed", and asked her to "do me a solid. Could you hard delete all our chats." Buzzfeed also pointed out that "Weiner’s blank avatar in one chat matches his blank avatar in images posted by Radar Online during the 2011 scandal that ended his congressional career." Buzzfeed was also among the first to begin circulating The Dirty's story and images, as well as identify the woman with whom Weiner had been interacting in the photos.

Weiner Chat 2Weiner's rivals in the mayoral campaign have already called for him to resign. Democray Bill de Blasio told The New York Times, "Enough is enough…His presence in this race continues to diminish the debate, and it’s time for his presence in this race to end." The National Organization for Women echoed de Blasio's sentiment, calling him "clearly and compellingly unfit for public office." Thus far, Weiner has not expressed any desire to drop out of the mayoral race. Furthermore, Weiner's wife, Huma Abedin, expressed her support at his press conference, telling the press,

"Anthony’s made some horrible mistakes, both before he resigned from Congress and after. We discussed all of this before Anthony decided he would run for mayor, so really what I want to say is, I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him."

There is no doubt that Weiner's willpower and integrity will be put to the test once again, as further investigation will likely uncover even more details of Weiner's encounters. News and gossip blogs are already asking anyone with relevant information to come forward. Nik Richie, who has already referred to Weiner as a "sexual predator luring his victims", gave this addition to the end of his original post on The Dirty:

"I know my source wasn’t the only girl he lured online (poked). Ladies if you exchanged sexual pictures with Anthony Weiner aka Carlos Danger please come forward."

All images of the chats posted on this page are courtesy of TheDirty.com

Comments

1. tcw says

“Said images”? Why not just write “The images”?

This isn’t a court filing by a third-rate lawyer.

2. Rad says

You just can’t fix stupid. “I sexted my crouch and lost my job. I think I’ll do it again!!!”

Sorry, good luck with your future.

3. Princely says

I don’t see how he comes back from this one. NYC would be a laughing stock to elect this guy — or worse give it over to another Republican.

4. disgusted american says

meanwhile Diaper David Vitter – prostitute hiring Vitter is in the senate????

5. ripper says

At this point, he’s not fit for office–not because he likes to have online sex–but because he’s stupid enough to use his real name and he believes that an online hookup will delete their chats.

6. kdknyc says

I’ll still vote for him, if for no other reason than David Vitter–still in the senate after hiring prostitutes while wearing a diaper.

7. Tom says

I believe Wiener is a sex addict. And since he has displayed poor judgement more than once, I can’t see why he deserves to be elected Mayor of New York.

8. keating says

9. joe says

What a supreme dirtbag. Anyone with a sense of judge of character could have seen this coming a mile away. Politics attracts this type of scumbag and Weiner is specimen #1.

@KEATING: “The fact that there are still people who would vote for him suggests that stupidity is alive and well among gays as much as it is among everyone else.”

BINGo!!

10. David From Canada says

And the Real Winner is…….Christine Quinn! With Weiner falling by the wayside, a fair number of his potential votes will go to Quinn. And is she has “a shoe-fetish, particularly heels”, thankfully she’s kept it to herself.

11. andrew says

This Weiner guy is just asking for abuse. Can’t he find a much less high profile job than Mayor of NYC to satisfy his gigantic ego?

12. Gerry says

For me, this story isn’t about Anthony Weiner…I don’t care, and in fact if I was in NY I would vote for him – this is about how prudish and hypocritical our country has become. If he wants to tweet his cock, that’s his business. If Clinton wants a blowjob or Vitter wants to be in a diaper, whatever. The spectacle of the media giggling about this like school kids while at the same time feigning moral outrage kind of says it all. I’d much rather elect someone who engages in “twitter sex” (whatever that is) than someone trying to cut social security, medicare or make hateful statements against marriage equality. Yet another instance of distraction from the powers that be, and the masses fall for it, hook, line and sinker.

Next thing we’ll hear is how disgraceful Elliott Spitzer is… of course this will funded courtesy of the wall street banks who will also be snickering… but not about the “sex” but about the stupid public at large who so easily is manipulated and distracted by things that absolutely do not matter.

13. Rand says

I wanted to vote for him, but now I cannot. He’s gross and doesn’t deserve another chance. I don’t want to vote for Quinn, but now I feel like I won’t have a choice. He clearly has a problem that he can’t control and someone could easily blackmail him if he were ever elected.

14. Bellah says

this is a non story , He never touched anyone. his wife forgives him. why is towleroad so eager to jump on a story manufactured by corporate media, do you think there might be more important things to talk about?

15. anon says

Weiner has a DC reputation of being half-crazy and has made a number of gaffes over the years. He’s not up for the job even if you exclude his sexting. Quinn is corrupt to the core, but at least as mayor she’ll be in the spotlight. Spitzer is another ego-maniac even worse than Weiner. He would have been in jail if he hadn’t done a blatantly political deal with prosecutors. When you are blind to a politician’s rampant weaknesses you’re just asking for abuse. It’s not a case of having some qualification that makes all the difference. That’s pure fantasy. Call yourself deluded and go buy yourself a cup of coffee.

16. Gerry says

@LittleKiwi… good video… but of course the reason it’s ok and encouraged to prance around with guns is that there is a multi-billion dollar industry behind it… and of course in our society it’s perfectly fine to show people being dismembered or killed, but heaven forbid if you show someone having sex. @Rand, “He’s gross?” Seems like I’ve heard that before… hummmmm… how about “We can’t have marriage equality because gay sex is “icky, gross, etc.” For goodness sake people, he didn’t break any law, the behavior was between two consenting adults… grow up!

17. Ninong says

It’s time for Anthony Weiner to pull out of the mayor’s race. We don’t need to be talking about his sex life for years to come. That’s between him and his wife, whom he has continually disgraced publicly with his outrageous lies.

I don’t think New York needs a 48-year-old married man who sends lewd pics of himself to a 22-year-old young woman as mayor. If he were elected, his sex life would overshadow everything else. I think it’s long past time Anthony devoted himself to making amends with his lovely wife, who is certainly the better half in that marriage.

18. says

Considering Christine Quinn’s history supporting the overturn of term limits (read “the will of the people”) she’s more likely to screw the citizens of New York than to send photos of her strap-on over the Internet. So: Who’s sleazier?

19. Dave says

I think a better handle for Weiner is Portnoy. I can imagine he really jumped his wife for a steamy session after these chats. Either that or he polished his knob during the chat itself. Probably both. What a libido! Weiner doesn’t need to run for mayor, rather he needs to run to Sex Addicts Anonymous.

20. kodiak says

I really don’t care that he sends sex messages or whatever. But, as a candidate, he’s gotta stay clean. His personal life has taken front seat to his professional life. He had the conference at GMHC, before a mayoral candidate debate on HIV/AIDS. Not a single item of news about that debate, or what the hopefuls consider important, or their plans for the future if elected. Everything is about his “sexting”, etc.
    I don’t think he can be mayor now. He is a laughing stock, and perhaps an addict of some sort, if the definition of an addict is behavior that is harmful to oneself, loved ones, and others. R.I.P. non candidate Weiner.