Belle Brockhoff | I'm Gay | Olympics | Russia | Snowboarding | Sochi Olympics

Australian Snowboarder Belle Brockhoff Comes Out as Gay to Make Statement About Sochi

Brockhoff

20-year-old Australian snowboarding Olympic hopeful Belle Brockhoff came out of the closet late last week to take a stand for gay and lesbian athletes.

Said Brockhoff about going to the Olympics:

"I have a feeling that I would have to kinda go back into the closet a little bit because I don't want to risk my, like, you know, safety, being arrested or deported. I want to be able to compete and live my dream and become an Olympian. That's always what I've wanted to do. ... I honestly find it a little bit disrespectul and a little bit sad not only to me but to other athletes and it's my dream, and I want to be able to be who I am, I want to be proud of who I am and be proud of all the work I've done to get into the Olympics and not have to deal with this kind of law."

Brockhoff says she'd like to make a statement if she goes to the Games:

Maybe a little bit of a badge, but, yeah, it's definitely a little bit scary when you think about, like, arrest and deportation, pulling out of events and all that stuff.

Watch Brockhoff's interview HERE.

Comments

1. Plainly spoken from the heart without comparing it to an etiquette dilemma.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Aug 26, 2013 11:27:49 AM

2. Good for Brockhoff.

She is in a position of enormous privilege (as are all Olympic contestants) and therefore she has an obligation to loudly condemn these fascist Russian laws.

If she chooses to go to that backward dump Russia then she needs to understand that the millions of LGBT Russians'human rights are more important than her right to compete.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 26, 2013 11:29:34 AM

3. We also have to think that if Russia wanted to- they could arrest or detain all the "suspected" LGBT competitors in order to medal in more events. You can be arrested for just be suspected of being gay- not only spreading so called propaganda.......

Posted by: ToddB | Aug 26, 2013 11:30:08 AM

4. @TODDB - I'm in no way defending Russia, but you can't be arrested for being gay or being suspected of being gay under the propaganda law.

Whether citizens are, in fact, arrested for those reasons is unclear, but it's highly unlikely a foreign LGBT athlete would be arrested in Sochi unless they made some sort of unequivocal statement promoting "unconventional" sexual orientations.

The Russian government is evil but they are not stupid. No matter how they treat their own citizens, I think they are going to give a LOT of leeway to foreign visitors during the games. They will want to make it seem like we were all just making a fuss about nothing.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Aug 26, 2013 11:41:23 AM

5. Well said! Belle Brockhoff.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 26, 2013 11:44:34 AM

6. Thanks Jack- I will keep my fingers crossed for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

Posted by: Toddb | Aug 26, 2013 12:01:56 PM

7. Is it a rule that snowboarders have to be ugly? Shaun White

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 1:24:13 PM

8. And you are wrong Jack.

Russia will arrest anyone proclaiming to be gay. They arrested four dutch tourists just for being there.

So, no, fail

Posted by: dean | Aug 26, 2013 1:34:09 PM

9. The below comment is why I stopped commenting on Towleroad. The website owner should be banning anyone who makes a comment like the below. The fight is hard enough much less to have to come on pro gay websites and see nasty personal comments about the topics, people in the fight, people on our side.

It is just like the wedding pictures articles on this website. I would go over there to view them, looking forward to seeing some joy and happiness only to read, "The groom on the left is a flaming queen"

I don't even know why I bothered to try one more time to read TowleRoad. You don't see this on other websites. The attacks are against the Haters, not against our own people. (well unless they are out of line and this young snowboarder is NOT out of line)

Is it a rule that snowboarders have to be ugly? Shaun White

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 1:24:13 PM

Posted by: StraightGrandmother | Aug 26, 2013 1:36:14 PM

10. I agree with StraightGrandmother. Andy knows who these trolls are but won't do anything about them.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 26, 2013 1:46:39 PM

11. I don't think athletes really have to worry about being arrested. Not because Russia wouldn't want to, it's more like they don't want the bad press of arresting an athlete or tourist for wearing a rainbow badge. After the games all bets are off.

Posted by: KEVIN | Aug 26, 2013 1:58:35 PM

12. Very proud of lesbians in sport. They have integrity.

Why are there so few gay male Olympic athletes?

Posted by: Randy | Aug 26, 2013 3:09:29 PM

13. I apologize. She's darling, and so is Shaun White. And while we're at it, Apollo Ohno doesn't really look like a rodent.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 3:19:11 PM

14. That's a man,baby!

C'mon, it's just a joke.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 27, 2013 9:37:23 AM