Ben Affleck to Play Batman in ‘Man of Steel’ Sequel

Ben Affleck has been chosen to step into the suit of the Caped Crusader, Variety reports:

AffleckThe actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Batman-Superman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.

The film, directed by Zack Snyder, already has a release date of July 17, 2015. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, and Diane Lane will co-star.

Comments

1. andrew says

I think Wentworth Miller would have been a better choice. He is a fine actor and has a kind of catlike/mysterious look. I understand that these movies cost tons of money to make and so they need a big name box office draw. So Ben is a good choice.

2. Robert says

So, Mr. Silverman is it? Are we to believe this isn’t some ignorant, stunt queen move? Is Backdoor Farrah to be Wonder Woman? Terry Crews can play the flash. And the villain will be Darkseid as played by Samuel L. Jackson.

You know what, make that last one happen, and I’ll watch your taped abortion, I’ll even spring for the 3D.

3. Fell's Angel says

I guess Michael Fassbender was booked for the next 2 years…

Who needs: brooding complexity, shame, anger, inner turmoil, conflicted morality? I want Milquetoast Pretty. And dialogue woodenly delivered. Mixed with faux-portentous eye contact & forehead/eyebrow leaning delivery. (queue George Clooney)

I’m genuinely baffled why he even threw his hat in the ring for this. Just as he had successfully rehab’d his image as a successful and talented director. To open himself up to the immediate scrutiny of his limited on-screen capabilities. (Hello unwatchable “DareDevil”) is enough to invoke hubris. Who in Hollywood wouldn’t have been overjoyed with the billing of “The Next Clint Eastwood”? And he’s got 2 dramatic releases coming up that are far more within his wheelhouse (to reference a groan-inducing hetero-trendy term) on deck.

Still, as a fellow Cantabrigian, I really hope he defies the instant scorn odds and somehow pulls this off.

4. Fell's Angel says

I guess Michael Fassbender was booked for the next 2 years…

5. david from Edmonton says

Worst decison ever – how stupid are the producers. Flabby Ben, too old and just not right. They may as well have chosen Leslie Jordan, at least it would be entertaining. If nothing ele we still Have Henry to look at and admire.

6. Zlick says

Oh please. Just in Batman movies alone, there was near universal grousing about -gasp – comedian Michael Keaton playing Batman (he nailed it), and much more recently the same near universal hang-wringing and moaning about Heath Ledger playing the Joker – and we all know how THAT turned out.

7. Jjohn ferrie says

I LOVE IT,BEN WILL BE THE BEST BATMAN EVER.HE HAS A GREAT BUILD,NOT TO MENTION WHAT AN AMAZING ACTOR HE IS.I KNOW I WOULD GO TO SEE IT,CANT WAIT!!!!!!