Chris Hayes | Cory Booker | New Jersey | News | Steve Lonegan

BigGayDeal.com

Cory Booker Tells Chris Hayes, 'My Sexuality is Not an Issue Right Now': VIDEO

C_booker

MSNBC's Chris Hayes asked Senate candidate and Newark mayor Cory Booker about recent remarks by his opponent Steve Lonegan mocking Booker's pro-gay remarks, remarks in which Booker revealed he told Twitter followers, "I hope you are not voting for me on the presumption I'm straight."

Replied Booker:

"The point I'm getting a chance to make right now is that we need to stop in America talking about anybody in the public realm besides what is important, the content of their character, the quality of the ideas, the courage within their hearts to serve others - that's what's important. And so here we have an opponent that is trying to say God-awful things and literally saying 'well I believe a guy should be a guy'. Almost like saying that you are not a man if you're gay. That is so extreme let's shine lights on this for a second...Being a man is about love. About kindness to others. About standing up for what's right. My sexuality is not an issue right now."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. It isn't, and shouldn't be, but he just made it one.

Posted by: Leo | Aug 30, 2013 11:02:52 AM

2. His opponent may believe what he said, he may not. He may be an idiot, or he may be deploying a pretty typical propaganda technique.

Cory Booker had all of the media attention. His opponent has to do something to get attention, but not call attention to anything of substance like policy. He throws out a personal attack appealing to homophobia. He gets immediate media attention, even here, where we would never have heard about him, and he has the chance to derail several press cycles, and perhaps the entire election, for Booker by "forcing" him to address the attacks. This response was well played by Booker.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 30, 2013 11:15:37 AM

3. His opponent, however, made the wrong move because Cory Booker is direct and willing to engage him on this silly nonsense. And Cory will win on that issue if he keeps saying brilliant things like this. That was a full on owning of his opponent.

Republicans know all they have are wedge issues to try to defeat people like Booker. But this makes it clear to me that Booker has no issues shutting it down effectively.

Posted by: Lonagun | Aug 30, 2013 11:26:49 AM

4. What's interesting is a number of people forget Booker has directly answered the "gay" question. HuffPo reran the article (after this broke) when a voter asked Booker are you gay and Booker's response was, "I am not gay".

And because he has answered the question, I'm curious as to how his sexuality can become an issue LATER (playing out now before election) unless at a later point he says, "I am gay".

Posted by: Belthazar | Aug 30, 2013 11:31:34 AM

5. Whether Cory Booker is gay or strait doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. Frankly, it's nobody's fu@king business.

Posted by: Kieran | Aug 30, 2013 1:07:02 PM

6. I think Chris Hayes is adorable.

Posted by: arundel | Aug 30, 2013 1:19:39 PM

7. He is by far the coolest, and perhaps best looking, politician. It would make him even cooler if he is straight. It's about time heterosexual men say its NOYFB if I am gay or straight.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 30, 2013 1:23:31 PM

8. A top rule in politics is don't say anything weird.

Posted by: anon | Aug 30, 2013 1:46:26 PM

9. I don't think I've heard a single republican candidate for any office lately, or already in any office...speak as concisely and from the heart as Cory. Even if you don't agree with him on some issues, it can't be denied that he's smarter & communicates better than any republican in print or on camera. Are all the intelligent republicans hiding out somewhere?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Aug 30, 2013 3:11:33 PM

10. What LONAGUN, MICHAEL and PAUL B. said.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 30, 2013 3:24:02 PM

11. I love his response. And if he's straight(as he's said before), that's even cooler. As for best looking politician, that would be Brian Sims in my opinion.

Posted by: Rorty | Aug 30, 2013 3:57:09 PM

12. Well-crafted response, but still an evasion. Yes or no. We are far from the post-gay era. People must still declare themselves in order to advance the movement.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 30, 2013 5:13:36 PM

13. Well-crafted response, but still an evasion. Yes or no. We are far from the post-gay era. People must still declare themselves in order to advance the movement.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 30, 2013 5:13:36 PM

14. Chris Hayes has so little credibility, I can't imagine why anyone cares what he says or does.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 31, 2013 11:31:10 AM

15. @Hagatha says who? What the bleep do you know about anything? Chris Hayes is one of the better and more perceptive commentators/analyzers on cable TV right now. Suggestion? Sit down, shut up, listen and learn.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 31, 2013 2:23:35 PM

16. "Yes or no... People must still declare themselves in order to advance the movement."

@Richard: I completely disagree. On the contrary, it will advance us toward an eventual post-homophobic society if MORE people will STOP defensively declaring themselves straight (with the implication that "gay" is an insult and a threat to their heterosexual privilege) and instead respond in this much classier way.
    Others in society, including youth, will see in celebs like Booker and James Franco and Matt Damon and the One Direction boys a more thoughtful way to respond to playground taunts like: "Homo!"
    They can respond by screaming and stomping that "I am NOT one of those!!" Or they can calmly turn it around and say, "If someone is gay in this class, why do you have such a problem with it? It shouldn't BE a problem."

Posted by: GregV | Aug 31, 2013 8:54:32 PM

17. So Steve Lonegan likes to suck on big long brown things? Sounds to me like a come-on. Also, this is part of the reason I find Cory Booker to be an even more exciting fella than Barack Obama was in the late aughts. (And that's a tall order!). Cory Booker FTW.

Posted by: Martin Haro | Sep 1, 2013 8:31:08 AM