Former UN Ambassador John Bolton: I Support Gay Marriage on a State and Federal Level

Former U.S Ambassador to the United Nations and Republican John Bolton is considering a run for President in 2016, and he's also discussing his support for marriage equality in an interview with the National Review:

BoltonMoving ahead, Bolton is expecting two things: Conservatives who have long cheered him may be turned off by some of his social views, and the national political press will likely be divided between hostility and indifference. “I have the advantage or disadvantage of having never run before, and I speak in longer sentences than you find on Twitter,” he says. “But that’s part of my hypothesis. People are ready for something with more depth.” On domestic issues, he says, he’s a self-proclaimed “libertarian,” which he knows will jar people who think he’s interested in running purely to irk Senator Rand Paul, another likely 2016 candidate and Bolton’s ideological opposite on foreign policy. “My argument is that you can’t protect your liberties at home unless we are protected internationally,” he says. “I think that argument can have currency across the Republican spectrum.”

“I can go to voters and tell them, without reservation, that I’m for limited government, as much as possible, on taxes, on regulations, but on foreign policy, I want to make sure we’re protected,” Bolton explains. “It’d be a mix of being against nanny-ism and libertarianism. On abortion, I’m about the same as Reagan; I’m against it except in the cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. On gay marriage, I support it, at both the state level and the federal level. Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future. I concluded, a couple years ago, that I think it should be permissible and treated the same at both levels.”

Bolton has hinted at his support for marriage equality in the past, predicting that it is "going to happen". He also supported the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Comments

1. Francis #1 says

“Gay Marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future”.

Translation: As a socially libertarian Republican hopeful presidential candidate in the 2016 election, supporting marriage equality is what I need to do to be a more viable candidate.

2. James says

He will never run for the presidency. It never ceases to amaze how gay men will be bitter about someone who is siding with them on gay marriage. God forbid someone support gay marriage AND be strong on national defense.

3. Moz's says

PS

@ james, there is a huge difference between being strong on defense and lying out right to cause a war that was unnecessary. Iraq never attacked the US on 9/11, it was majority Saudi members of al qaeda trained in afganistan & not 1 Iraqi

4. tim b says

Well, I’m now free to ignore every “John Bolton might run for President” article between now and 2016: the Republicans will never nominate, let alone elect, a candidate who supports marriage equality.

They hate us even more than they love pointless war.

5. anon says

As the right’s “reliable lunatic” on foreign policy–someone who can be counted on to say and write the most war-happy arguments–it may very well be that he’s a Rand Paul stalking horse. It’s more probable given that he’s never held elective office, either. How effective he’ll be at raising money is another matter.

6. andrew says

John Bolton is the ultimate CHICKENHAWK. As a young man he did whatever was necessary to avoid service in the Vietnam War. As an older man he is the ultimate INTERVENTIONIST. Like Cheney and most of the Neocons, as old men, out of harms way, they think military intervention/war is the solution to most international problems.

7. Princely says

He’s a fascistic clown. I don’t think the Rep party would support his lunacy. If they do, I expect Steve King or Louie Gomert to get the nom before he does.

8. Onnyjay says

Bolton is another embarrassing leftover from the Bush Outrages, we’re better off without his “support” for marriage equality or anything else.