Film and TV | Harry Potter | I'm Gay | Jason Isaacs | News | Playing Gay

BigGayDeal.com

Harry Potter Actor Calls Casting Of Gay Actors And Gay Characters 'Ridiculous'

Lucius malfoyWentworth Miller's recent decision to come out in protest of Russia's anti-gay laws was courageous for a number of reasons. Jason Isaacs, best known for his work on films such as The Patriot, Peter Pan, Black Hawk Down, and for playing Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter series, detailed many of those reasons in a recent interview with UK's The Telegraph, reasons that he calls "ridiculous".

“I have a lot of gay friends who don’t come out,” said Isaacs in the interview. “If you are a romantic lead, there is a perception – I don’t know if it is true or not – that you will no longer be cast as straight people." Many agents are convinced that, if the public knows that you're gay, they'll be unable to see you as a romantic lead in a heterosexual love story. Similar comments have been made by Bret Easton Ellis, and promptly landed him in hot water with GLAAD.

Isaacs continued:

“Even when casting gay roles, there is a tendency to cast straight people, so they are lauded for their transformation. It’s ridiculous. The notion that a gay actor can’t seem like they are in love with a woman on screen is so patently absurd I can’t believe it still exists.”

Jason-isaacs-jason-isaacs-25494081-350-346Of course, one might argue that if more gay actors start coming out, the better they'll be able to change the public's perception. But Isaacs certainly respects his friends' right to embark on their own coming out journey on their own terms:

“It is not for me to push my gay friends to come out. I certainly don’t think that anyone should sacrifice their careers, if that’s what they think it would be, to make a political statement. But my friends who have done that feel immensely relieved and walk taller in their shoes. I would never judge anyone.”

Another actor from the franchise, Harry Potter himself, no less, is one of those straight actors who was lauded for his transformation into a gay character. He even has a widely-discussed gay sex scene in Kill Your Darlings, one that he called "unshocking" according to HuffPost Gay Voices. Radcliffe expressed similar sentiment in aniinterview with Out magazine, in which he said:

"You never see a gay actor getting asked what it’s like to play straight -- to my knowledge, at least, there is no difference in how heterosexual and homosexual people fall in love."

Comments

1. Uhm

title is not what he said

what he said was its ridiculous to believe gay actors cant be cast to play a straight role but straight actors when cast to play gay roles are considered brilliant

In other words, he is totally supportive of casting gay actors for straight roles

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 24, 2013 9:26:34 AM

2. This is an absolutely terrible, misleading, and defamatory title. Please change it.

Posted by: esurience | Aug 24, 2013 9:32:56 AM

3. This is an absolutely terrible, misleading, and defamatory title. Please change it.

Posted by: esurience | Aug 24, 2013 9:32:56 AM

4. I hate to be one of "those" people, but please change the title.

Someplace in the Tpwleroad archives is a report of a 2007 interview with Wentworth Miller. It was an interview Miller gave to prove he wasn't gay. I bet Hugh Jackman feels silly for his recent "I'm not gay" interview.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Aug 24, 2013 9:47:24 AM

5. A complete misrepresentation of what was said. Even comparing it to Brett Easton Ellis is an insult. He said "there is a perception that you won't be cast" and "some agents believe", both of which are true, those perceptions exist.
    Whoever wrote this article should be ashamed of themselves both for the hitjob on this actor, and for believing their readership too stupid to read for themselves.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 24, 2013 9:50:52 AM

6. i think the headline means the way gay characters are cast--i.e. with straight actors--is riduclous. Calm down

Posted by: dizzyspins | Aug 24, 2013 9:53:19 AM

7. Talk about a link bait of a title. How very beneath this site.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 24, 2013 9:54:52 AM

8. I dont think the title is inaccurate; he did call the way in which gay actors are cast and the way that gay roles are cast for ridiculous. perhaps it could be made clearer, but its certainly NOT inaccurate.

Posted by: fanatapan | Aug 24, 2013 10:01:20 AM

9. The title could be better, but upon reading the article I totally understood that Issacs was being supportive and calling out the industry for failing to use openly gay actors in straight roles.

Posted by: MajorTom | Aug 24, 2013 10:02:45 AM

10. Towleroad, you really need someone to edit your copy. The headline is so misleading that it's embarrassing. One expects to read that Isaacs is going to slam casting gay people in gay roles and the article is quite the opposite.

I love Towleroad and I appreciate the hard work that goes into putting this up every day. But, you really, really need to copy edit your items better (and, get a proofreader).

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 24, 2013 10:25:39 AM

11. I agree that the headline gave me the opposite impression (as if he had said that a gay actor should never be hired for anything and all roles should be straight). It could have been titled something like:"Harry Potter Actor says hesitation to cast gay actors is ridiculous."

I agree with him that it's tiring to see actors like Eric Stomestreet congratulated in interview after interview for "beliveably playing a gay man." Nobody says to Angelina Jolie, "Your real-life spouse is a blond but in such-and-such movie you're with a dark-featured bald guy. How in the world do you do it? When you kissed his forehead in the birthday party scene, how did your lips feel?"

Posted by: GregV | Aug 24, 2013 10:27:17 AM

12. That title is NOT what he said. What the hell is wrong with Towleroad's new writers?

Posted by: Dana Chilton | Aug 24, 2013 10:36:39 AM

13. Bad reporting Towleroad...He said he supports gays...

Posted by: Ankerich | Aug 24, 2013 10:45:26 AM

14. I have to agree with the other commenters. I really like Jason Isaacs as an actor and when I saw the title, I had an "Oh no! Don't tell me he's a big ol Jeremy Irons or Charleton Heston!" moment.

Well, he wasn't. He's still the jason Isaacs I admire. The title is salacious, misleading, and somewhat defamatory.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 24, 2013 11:15:45 AM

15. I'd expect to see a title like this on an AOL/Huffington Post article, not on Towleroad.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 24, 2013 11:36:20 AM

16. You are thoroughly, completely and irredeemably incompetent.

I'd accuse you of putting a deliberately false title on this article so that you would get more clicks, but, after reading your other posts, I cannot believe you're that smart.

The New Towleroad is riddled with mistakes, articles you can't believe, and "news" that's days old. Does Andy Towle want this site to go under? It would be much faster if he just shut it down.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Aug 24, 2013 11:44:22 AM

17. I almost forgot the anti-gay hatred on the part of the author to be found in his articles, as well. Mustn't forget that.

Something's got to be done about a site that pretends to speak for the LGBT community when it's actually become one of our enemies.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Aug 24, 2013 11:49:48 AM

18. Would this have gotten more hits if the title was not so misleading? I guess Tlrd don't think so. Fair enough.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 24, 2013 11:52:42 AM

19. one wonders if Jason Isaacs & his people could sue for libel/ defamation based upon the title

Not a lawyer, but seriously the title needs to be changed to better reflect reality. Its been a while since I 1st read it and many others have pointed out how horribly misleading the title is

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 24, 2013 12:02:19 PM

20. Yup, have to agree, the title is worded in a very misleading way.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 24, 2013 12:08:17 PM

21. I love Towleroad but have to agree with the above commentators - the quality of the writing, headlines and general proofing has really been on the slide recently. This article is so confusing - it's all over the place. And yep that headline is misleading.

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Aug 24, 2013 12:16:02 PM

22. WORST title of an article on here EVER. TOTALLY misleading! What is happening with Towleroad with all these new writers. ANDY-- please fix this! Who the hell is RJ AGUIAR and WHY is he F***ing up Towleroad???

Posted by: iawl | Aug 24, 2013 12:58:20 PM

23. Completely misleading and inaccurate headline! What the hell is happening with Towleroad???? All these new writers and a total lack of consistency with Andy's vision!!! Who the hell is RJ Aguiar and why is he trusted with Towleroad's rep? He is f***ing it up big-time here!

Posted by: iawl | Aug 24, 2013 1:01:15 PM

24. Good god change the title. His words are lucid, understanding, and entirely acceptable. The title reads otherwise and is atrociously rude.

I would give this guy a hug! Or a bro pump, whichever he preferred.

Posted by: Austin | Aug 24, 2013 1:07:45 PM

25. The title suggests the complete opposite of what he said. Seriously, fix that.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 24, 2013 1:18:28 PM