Macklemore | News | Ryan Lewis

BigGayDeal.com

Macklemore Accepts VMA for 'Same Love', Says 'Gay Rights are Human Rights': VIDEO

Award_macklemore

Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, and Mary Lambert took the stage to accept the MTV Moonman at the VMAs for "Best Video with a Social Message" for their marriage equality anthem "Same Love".

MacklemoreSaid Macklemore:

"I'll be honest. I really wanted to win the award for Best Rap Video but this Moonman here stands for a lot more. I've been writing songs since I was 15 and out of every single song I have every written to me this is the most important record out of all of them. And to watch this song in the last year spread across the world is a testament to what is happening right here now America on the forefront of equality. Gay rights are human rights there is no separation."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you missed the performance of the song they did later in the show (with surprise guest Jennifer Hudson), watch it HERE.

And if you somehow missed the epic video they won the award for, watch it HERE.

Get More: 2013 VMA, Artists.MTV, Music

Comments

1. So the closet cases won an award, did they?

Posted by: Adamn | Aug 26, 2013 8:03:22 AM

2. Poor little ADAMN, so bitter and clearly very lonely.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 26, 2013 8:17:22 AM

3. If MTV is so gay-friendly, why weren't there any openly gay or bisexual male performers from the current music scene? Steve Grand? Adam Lambert?

Instead, MTV insulted our intelligence by segregating us gay guys away into the 'social message' category. How quaint.

Notice also that there was hardly any male skin shown. Female performers like Miley can show a lot of skin and be surrounded by female dancers who show a lot of skin. But when was the last time you saw a male singer show skin and surround himself with male dancers who show skin?

Posted by: Adamn | Aug 26, 2013 8:33:52 AM

4. END THE BISEXUAL DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

Wapner's on at 3. Derp.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 26, 2013 8:40:07 AM

5. @AdamN is correct. But I look forward to reading the posts telling you that you suck and that you are wrong. You're absolutely correct, though.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 8:43:00 AM

6. @ADAMN

If they're already helping the cause, what would be gained from them coming out of the closet, if, indeed, they are? It's not like they're conservative politicians fighting against our rights during the day and hitting the gay bars at night.

I believe that if they're helping the cause, if they're LGBT, or queer, or straight, or whatever, they're sexual orientation isn't any of my damn business.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 26, 2013 9:34:21 AM

7. I just realized who ZETA is... he's everyone's favorite troll proponent, UFFDA. New usernames are fun!

Posted by: crispy | Aug 26, 2013 9:51:57 AM

8. Congratulations wonderful people!

Posted by: Jim | Aug 26, 2013 10:18:00 AM

9. God, the trolling in the site is exausting.
    No matter how good are the news, there's always a frustrated biching troll to complain

Posted by: jjose712 | Aug 26, 2013 10:28:11 AM

10. Macklemore is a true hero. And he's gorgeous, too.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Aug 26, 2013 11:19:51 AM

11. It's not the trolling that is horrible... it's that it's so easy to troll. Get a proper comment section, Towle. Jesus.

Posted by: LITTLE KIWI | Aug 26, 2013 11:37:54 AM

12. NO HOMO...u r all assholes

Posted by: no homo | Aug 26, 2013 5:29:59 PM

13. I'm gay, totally for equal rights in every regard. But I've thought this song was stupid since it first came out. Can we stop having to pretend it's a good thing?

Posted by: chris | Aug 26, 2013 9:22:14 PM