Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

Michael Douglas Shares Liberace Emmy with Matt Damon: 'Do You Want the Bottom or the Top?' - VIDEO

Douglas

Michael Douglas won an Emmy award tonight for his performance as Liberace in Behind the Candelabra and summoned some innuendo for his acceptance speech in which he shared the award with Matt Damon.

"This was a two-hander, and Matt, you're only as good as your other hand....You were magnificent, and the only reason I'm standing here is because of you. So, you really deserve half of this. Do you want the bottom or the top?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Damon

Comments

1. I said last year this is what Michael Douglas was aiming for, an Emmy for lead actor. He got the Emmy now the gay jokes can roll. Isn't that one of the reasons gay people like Liberace stayed closested to not be made fun of daily for their sexuality?

Congrats to Toby Jones, who is gay, for being nominated. Same for Zachary Quinto.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Sep 23, 2013 12:10:47 AM

2. Ugh. I can't decide what aspect of his self-congratulatory Straight White Male Privilege is worse - this, or "pussy-licking gave me cancer..."

And, frankly, he was a smug, SWMP-mincing, ghastly liberace.

Posted by: epyglottis | Sep 23, 2013 12:14:09 AM

3. (a little drunk?)

Posted by: mike | Sep 23, 2013 12:27:27 AM

4. Hahahaha, I'm not sure what I like more, Douglas winning the Emmy...

Or that it upsets the desiccated angry bitter queens that just can't move on and recognize how awesome it is !

Posted by: UGH | Sep 23, 2013 12:30:56 AM

5. Douglas comments represented no progress for gay people. His lines could have come from any straight poker game in hetero land. Even Matt Damon's body language suggested a big no to gay sexuality.

Neil Patrick Harris dance number was great. Especially the line about the guy who picked him up.

Derek Hough seems questionable -- have to ask Lance Bass about that one. The homage to for deaths was bad -- no film clips. All could have been included in montage.

Posted by: Em | Sep 23, 2013 12:33:33 AM

6. Oh good grief.. that was a funny comment... it wasn't disrespectful...

Posted by: Gerry | Sep 23, 2013 1:21:20 AM

7. Michael Douglas is a pig. Don't hold your breath waiting for GLAAD to criticize him. He's a pig and so is Damon.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 23, 2013 1:24:18 AM

8. I could see how some could find this funny but it made me very uncomfortable to see a room of largely straight faces laughing at this and the other jokes he made relating to gay sexuality.

Posted by: JMC | Sep 23, 2013 1:33:02 AM

9. Note the ugly smiles of the women in the audience.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 23, 2013 2:33:58 AM

10. Note the exact same smiles on the men in the audience. (for the record, the joke is fine with me, just reacting to Adam/rick/jason etc's silliness.)

Posted by: Brian1 | Sep 23, 2013 2:47:39 AM

11. The only reason these Hollywood liberals want us "out there" is so that they can poke fun at our sexuality. Note also how it's only male homosexuality they poke at, and not female homosexuality.

Liberals hate male homosexuals but love their lesbians. This is why we need to kick lesbians out of the gay rights movement. They're on the side of the enemy.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 23, 2013 3:46:13 AM

12. The only reason these Hollywood liberals want us "out there" is so that they can poke fun at our sexuality. Note also how it's only male homosexuality they poke at, and not female homosexuality.

Posted by: Adam | Sep 23, 2013 3:46:15 AM

13. It;s unfortunate that some queens have no sense of humor. I found the jokes quite funny.

Posted by: wheelie81 | Sep 23, 2013 3:50:06 AM

14. Lordy Lordy, where did the Towleroad gays with a sense of humor go? I thought Michael Douglas' first comment was completely unintentional and Matt Damon egged that on...Then Douglas realized what he said and just went with it. I laughed out loud. It was a funny speech and Douglas did pay tribute to Liberace at the end.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 23, 2013 4:47:06 AM

15. Matt Damon wants to Be a Bottom.

Posted by: Nelson | Sep 23, 2013 6:53:19 AM

16. I laughed out loud at the top/bottom joke. Can't believe all the negative comments about it. Lighten up, people.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Sep 23, 2013 7:08:32 AM

17. Very funny! It wasn't offensive, it was tongue-in-cheek and in good taste. And the fact that the audience could laugh, not cringe, is a sign that we're finally overcoming, at least in part, the "icky" factor. Hell, look at all the nominations and wins for this film -- that alone is something for which to be grateful!

Posted by: Marc | Sep 23, 2013 7:41:57 AM

18. It's so sad to see the nelly lotus blossoms on here sniff about a very benign joke by someone who doesn't have a problem with gays AT ALL. The same joke could have been made by any of you sad need-to-be-angry queens any day of the week, so cut the crying.

Posted by: Joey Y | Sep 23, 2013 7:42:58 AM

19. All I can say is the movie was mostly bland and unimpressive, and nobody deserved an award for any of it.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 23, 2013 8:12:52 AM

20. Lighten up Francis. It was frickin funny.

Posted by: Doozah | Sep 23, 2013 9:45:57 AM

21. Lesbians were the main people who took care of gay men through the HIV+AIDS crisis. Lesbians also raised me from the age of 11. Stop being so divisive united we stand. this is the first time ever in world history that gays lesbians bisexuals as well as the trans community have worked together and we are getting our full equal rights in more places than we ever have before. Also the Emmys were hilarious. Know your history or stfu.

Posted by: Alexander | Sep 23, 2013 10:11:00 AM

22. it WAS funny. what struck me, to those who are detracting from it, is that 20 years (hell, 10 years) ago this would not have happened in front of cameras broadcasting to millions of people AND they would have understood it.

i don't think he said anything that straight people don't say about themselves in front of others all the time. this was almost matter-of-fact. for me, at my age, this is a huge change...

Posted by: mike/ | Sep 23, 2013 10:14:56 AM

23. I loved it. I thought Michael Douglas was hilarious and saw or heard no contempt for homosexuals in his speech only proof that he knows the lingo and how much he loved portraying Liberace.

The "two-hander" comment was hilarious.

Posted by: Bobby | Sep 23, 2013 10:49:23 AM

24. I'm with Bobby.

That was hilarious!! Loved it!!

Posted by: Marco | Sep 23, 2013 11:05:26 AM

25. Oh dear, I should be feeling so disloyal to my 'community' - but that was really funny.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Sep 23, 2013 12:05:29 PM