Bode Miller | News | Olympics | Russia | Sochi Olympics

Four-Time Olympian Skier Bode Miller Slams Russia's Anti-Gay Laws and IOC Gag Rules

Four-time Olympian Bode Miller spoke out against Russia's anti-gay laws and rules that prevent athletes from speaking out against them on Monday at the U.S. Olympic media summit, the Chicago Tribune's Philip Hersh reports.

Bode_millerSaid Miller:

"I think it is absolutely embarrassing there are countries and people who are that intolerant or that ignorant. It’s not the first time. We have been dealing with human rights issues since there were humans. My main emotion when I hear and deal with situations like that is embarrassment.  As a human being, I think it is embarrassing...There are politics in sport and athletics. They always are intertwined, even though people try to keep them separate. Asking an athlete to go somewhere and compete and be a representative of that philosophy and all the different crap that kind of goes along with it and then telling them they can’t tell them they express their views or they can’t say what they believe is pretty hypocritical and unfair."

Comments

1. Go Bode!

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Sep 30, 2013 6:59:40 PM

2. It's weird.

On one hand I want the athletes to have a great Olympics because they train so hard and it only comes around every four years.

On the other hand, I'm so disgusted by Russia's anti-gay laws and the IOC right now that I want this Olympics to totally bomb. Horrible ratings, poorer turnout/ticket sales, whatever.

But then I feel bad for the athletes thinking that way. Le sigh.

Posted by: daws | Sep 30, 2013 7:01:12 PM

3. what jonty said ^^

bode, the wild child of the slopes, and all around good guy.

Posted by: bandanajack | Sep 30, 2013 7:02:08 PM

4. LOVE him!

Posted by: Jaysonn | Sep 30, 2013 7:03:37 PM

5. The IOC puts itself in direct collision with the values of the people it claims to represent. The IOC is uninspiring, spineless and bound to the prejudices of our time. This is frustrating to athletes like Bod Miller and anyone who shares the spirit of competition and of being the best you can be.

Posted by: Jay | Sep 30, 2013 7:04:09 PM

6. How can athletes compete to their best ability if some of them are gay and feeling the pressure from a host country who enact law against their presents?

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Sep 30, 2013 7:15:59 PM

7. Bode Miller should withdraw from any participation in the Russian Olympics and express his reasons for doing so publicly to embarrass the Russian people, their politicians and the country itself. ALL athletes should refuse to participate.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Sep 30, 2013 7:17:43 PM

8. Gotta love Bode Miller!

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Sep 30, 2013 8:09:32 PM

9. A real MAN.

Posted by: litper | Sep 30, 2013 8:35:16 PM

10. He's not saying anything any other Olympian hasn't said.

I still think stupid Queers that demand these athletes make a sacrifice none of them will ever make is the height of hypocrisy, and I do not respect any of them. STFU and DO something for a change.

Posted by: Pookie | Sep 30, 2013 10:04:59 PM

11. Spill it Bode. Why would you bother? I'm sure that your worldwide exposure has given you some exposure. And don't tell me queer athletes are easier to beat.

Posted by: CF | Sep 30, 2013 10:14:08 PM

12. I wonder if Bode has ever experienced male sex? That would be impossible don't you think?

Posted by: SoLib | Sep 30, 2013 10:20:02 PM

13. Pookie, CF, Solib - Pepug trolls alert!

Posted by: litper | Sep 30, 2013 11:17:43 PM

14. Something is the matter with some of you people.

Posted by: Bodagatha | Oct 1, 2013 12:32:52 AM

15. BODAGATHA: Being a homosexual commenter, you don't have a leg to stand on saying "something is the matter" with some people. Be very fortunate no one can read your mind.

Posted by: GH | Oct 1, 2013 1:50:16 AM

16. GH;

I can read your mind and being;. You are a disgusting little troll who daily looks upon a tiny penis under his little Swastika shaped-bush. And you curse your momma for marrying a tiny-dicked dna sample. So sorry you have to use tweezers to remove those crabs you ot feom your sister.

And about that 'Mind'? Well, Ya Momma certainly didn't marry for brains!

Now F-off and go cry on the Grand Dragon's robe.

Posted by: gretchen | Oct 1, 2013 11:23:39 AM