Four-Time Olympian Skier Bode Miller Slams Russia’s Anti-Gay Laws and IOC Gag Rules

Four-time Olympian Bode Miller spoke out against Russia's anti-gay laws and rules that prevent athletes from speaking out against them on Monday at the U.S. Olympic media summit, the Chicago Tribune's Philip Hersh reports.

Bode_millerSaid Miller:

"I think it is absolutely embarrassing there are countries and people who are that intolerant or that ignorant. It’s not the first time. We have been dealing with human rights issues since there were humans. My main emotion when I hear and deal with situations like that is embarrassment.  As a human being, I think it is embarrassing…There are politics in sport and athletics. They always are intertwined, even though people try to keep them separate. Asking an athlete to go somewhere and compete and be a representative of that philosophy and all the different crap that kind of goes along with it and then telling them they can’t tell them they express their views or they can’t say what they believe is pretty hypocritical and unfair."

Comments

1. daws says

It’s weird.

On one hand I want the athletes to have a great Olympics because they train so hard and it only comes around every four years.

On the other hand, I’m so disgusted by Russia’s anti-gay laws and the IOC right now that I want this Olympics to totally bomb. Horrible ratings, poorer turnout/ticket sales, whatever.

But then I feel bad for the athletes thinking that way. Le sigh.

2. Jay says

The IOC puts itself in direct collision with the values of the people it claims to represent. The IOC is uninspiring, spineless and bound to the prejudices of our time. This is frustrating to athletes like Bod Miller and anyone who shares the spirit of competition and of being the best you can be.

3. bambinoitaliano says

How can athletes compete to their best ability if some of them are gay and feeling the pressure from a host country who enact law against their presents?

4. Mike Ryan says

Bode Miller should withdraw from any participation in the Russian Olympics and express his reasons for doing so publicly to embarrass the Russian people, their politicians and the country itself. ALL athletes should refuse to participate.

5. Pookie says

He’s not saying anything any other Olympian hasn’t said.

I still think stupid Queers that demand these athletes make a sacrifice none of them will ever make is the height of hypocrisy, and I do not respect any of them. STFU and DO something for a change.

6. GH says

BODAGATHA: Being a homosexual commenter, you don’t have a leg to stand on saying “something is the matter” with some people. Be very fortunate no one can read your mind.

7. gretchen says

GH;

I can read your mind and being;. You are a disgusting little troll who daily looks upon a tiny penis under his little Swastika shaped-bush. And you curse your momma for marrying a tiny-dicked dna sample. So sorry you have to use tweezers to remove those crabs you ot feom your sister.

And about that ‘Mind’? Well, Ya Momma certainly didn’t marry for brains!

Now F-off and go cry on the Grand Dragon’s robe.