Nancy Pelosi | Russia | Vladimir Putin

Nancy Pelosi Zaps Vladimir Putin on Gay Rights: VIDEO

Pelosi

In a press conference yesterday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi discussed Russian Vladimir Putin's controversial op-ed in the New York Times, referencing the bit at the end, when Putin writes:

"We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal."

Echoing a tweet she sent out as well, Pelosi quipped,

“What I found interesting was the closing. He says when we pray to God he judges us all as...I don’t know exactly was his words are...but he says that we are all God’s children. I think that’s great. I hope it applies to gays and lesbians in Russia as well.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Nice sentiments by Pelosi, but I thought she had more intelligence than to believe in that ridiculous 'god' thing.

Putin certainly doesn't - he was just pretending to, as he knows that so many Americans do.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 13, 2013 8:58:44 AM

2. I respect and love having conversations with all of my friends that are Atheist, especially my LGBT friends who are Atheist. I completely understand that it is difficult to believe in God when the church and those that claim a belief in God have done so much to make you believe that there is no place for you in God's heaven and for passing draconian laws right here to make life on earth a living hell; not to mention the wars, slavery, etc. You get my point. However, I do ask that you respect all of us who do believe in God. Please stop calling us idiots for having faith in the unseen. Just remember it is the People who claim a belief in God that are doing those idiotic things to you; it is not God. Trust me, I don’t like those people any more than you do. I am also one of those insane Theist who also believe in science…SHOCKING!!! Off of my soapbox this Friday morning...LOL.

Posted by: THurts | Sep 13, 2013 9:31:33 AM

3. An adult who beliefves in 'god' deserves the same respect as an adult who believes in Santa Claus.

I respect your right to believe in such nonsense.

I do not respect the content of your beliefs though.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 13, 2013 10:57:45 AM

4. @ THURST :

And your evidence for a god is ?

Sure, I'll respect a 'belief'......
    the earth is flat,
    witches fly on broomsticks,
    little babies souls go to 'Limbo'........no, oops, that's abolished.....even though a religious doctrine.

Yeah sure, I'll respect a 'belief'.
    BTW, you'e a monotheist, not a theist.......pay some respect to the ancient Greeks.

Where is there a scintilla of evidence, and no, delusion does not count as evidence.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 13, 2013 11:01:49 AM

5. @ JACKFRNTWIST & MARYM,

What THRURTS is talking about is called faith.

And yes, there have been some horrible atrocities done because of religious faith. But there have also been amazing triumphs of human will and courage displayed from a foundation built on those same faiths.

(oh, Lord, I feel like Ingrid Bergman playing a nun giving the last line from some Hollywood movie...with heavenly angels singing on soundtrack)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2013 11:20:23 AM

6. "Just remember it is the People who claim a belief in God that are doing those idiotic things to you; it is not God." - THurts

I get what you're saying, sounds like hate the sin love the sinner BS hypocrisy Don't forget that a majority of those people who believe in God also believe the bible is the word of God - for them it does comes from God. If some of you Christians, etc...are tired of being classified in the same fold as those bigots then start to voice it!

Posted by: guzzler | Sep 13, 2013 11:30:35 AM

7. But there have also been amazing triumphs of human will and courage displayed from a foundation built on those same faiths. - Derrick from Philly

Please, enlighten me on what those might be?

Posted by: guzzler | Sep 13, 2013 11:34:13 AM

8. It's fairly appalling the way some people talk to/about those with faith. It might make you feel like you're intellectually superior, but really it just shows that you're a huge jerk.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 13, 2013 11:36:43 AM

9. To those of you hating on @THURTS for believing in god, get a life. I do not believe in god in the biblical sense. I believe that there is something more after we die, but I also believe that nobody knows what will happen. To those who believe in god, more power to you. Stick to your beliefs. If others feel the need to berate and judge you on the basis of your beliefs, it speaks more about their character than yours.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 13, 2013 1:21:52 PM

10. @ "Please, enlighten me on what those might be?"

Oh, let's see:

The Indian Independence Movement (Hinduism &Islam)

The Civil Rights Movement in America (Christianity)

The survival & resiliance of Jewish people after the Holocaust (Judaism, of course)

There was strong religious faith which inspired many in that "Greatest Generation" who won the 2nd World War. (everybody)

Mother Theresa's life long work

All those fancy cathedrals, churches and mosques in the world.

....somebody help me out and join in here, will ya'?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2013 1:39:42 PM

11. I'm still thinking.

What about all the great music that was inspired by religious faith?

Handel's "Messiah" aint a shabby piece of work, is it?

Just as religious faith can be seen as the cause of much suffering endured by Gay folks there are Gay folks who believe that it was their faith in God that kept alive during those worst years of personal desperation.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 13, 2013 1:59:19 PM

12. @ Derrick from Philly

I'm thinking more the soundtrack from Shaft, which would make God really cool and badass, like, if I were to believe in God, I would really hope he was.

But if there was a God, I also think the world wouldn't be in the friggin' mess that it is.

That said, to each his own, "believers" just shouldn't shove it down other people's thoats. I grew up being constantly harassed by Calvary Baptists (remember them?) and listen, I'm having the same problem with Buddhists right now. And I technically agree with them…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 13, 2013 5:31:52 PM

13. I forgot Ms. Pelosi—at least somone in our government has decided to speak out (finally) even if it is in passing. Too bad it took a letter from VP the world's most dangerous closet case, in the New York Times, which in my mind has descended to the level of toilet paper. And it's less expensive too!

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Sep 13, 2013 5:36:28 PM

14. Between someone calling the faithful idiots and the faithful saying I'm going to burn in hell for my queerness or nonbelief, I'm thinking the true churlishness comes from those espousing faith. But hey, getting butthurt because someone makes fun of your sky fairy is cool too.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 13, 2013 10:38:21 PM

15. Nancy has the attention span of a fruit fly.

Posted by: OMG-REALLY | Sep 13, 2013 11:29:46 PM

16. I think when you die, you're dead, end of story.
    If you choose to believe in God or the Sky Fairy, or the Easter Bunny, that's fine, just don't expect me to live my life according to your so called beliefs and not my reality.

Posted by: jsb | Sep 14, 2013 2:38:18 AM