Barack Obama | News | Russia

Russian Gay Activist Says He Felt 'Let Down' by Meeting with Obama: VIDEO

1_kochetkov

Euronews reports that at least one of the LGBT activists who met with President Obama yesterday in St. Petersburg felt "let down" by his meeting with the President, because Obama said he had to consider his overall relationship with Russia.

Said Igor Kochetkov of the Russian LGBT Network:

"The President said he can't prioritize human rights in his relationship with Russia because there are other issues as well. I disagree with the President because, in my view, by doing so, we narrow our chances of cooperation in other areas."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why do you allow teaparty.org to advertise on this site?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 7, 2013 1:23:15 PM

2. While I fully empathize with this activist's situation and opinion, one must understand the delicate and oftentimes stress-filled nature of international diplomacy. Obama has gone above and beyond with regard to LGBT issues at home and in Russia. Also, has Putin ever even met this man? Obama made it a -point- to meet with them.

Posted by: Mcgill | Sep 7, 2013 1:23:45 PM

3. David, sometimes it is beyond the control of the site owner over the ad mix that readers see. A lot of it has to do with cookies and other tracking technologies that look at your browse history, social media posts, and even email messages. Towleroad may or may not stipulate what is in their ad agreement but it could cost much more to eliminate certain ads. When I see a Tea Party ad, I click on it at least a few times to drive their click rate cost up.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 7, 2013 1:33:22 PM

4. The president is being sensible here. There isn't a whole lot the American president can do in terms of Russian internal politics and social legislation.

Sadly, unfortunately there are bigger fish to fry - I'm thinking Syria's gassing of her own people and the world's clumsy, painful attempt at a solution. The U.S.-Russia relationship is quite complex at the moment - and we all should take a deep breath and keep perspective.

Posted by: John | Sep 7, 2013 1:38:15 PM

5. This guy can go f himself. He got a meeting with the President of the United States and he's complaining about it. We don't control Russia. If he wants change in his country, he needs to petition his own government, not ours.

Posted by: PeteP | Sep 7, 2013 1:48:08 PM

6. It seems funny to me that we have to "keep perspective" when LGBT people are being targeted, tortured and killed in Russia. It seems funny to me that we used to talk about how the president could "multi-task" when it came to LGBT human rights at home but that it is just not important enough for the LGBT people being targeted in Russia at this time... actually, it is not funny but I guess because we Americans won't be having our children ripped away from us, we won't be beaten by hateful mobs, arrested for protesting or kidnapped by neo-nazi's for YouTube entertainment it is just not a big enough fish to fry... Is this the perspective I am supposed to be keeping? No wonder why the Russians are disappointed, they are completely alone in this hell hole.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Sep 7, 2013 2:03:29 PM

7. @Petep

So what was the point of the meeting then? Celebrity worship?

Posted by: Eugene | Sep 7, 2013 2:14:47 PM

8. Wayne,

It's about being realistic. I was surprised and very shocked that Obama can do anything, when he has a whole pretty homophobic country as well as a government to deal with re this issue.

Also, he would seem medlesome and that would look really bad.

Plus this whole Syria thing? Putin is best buddies w Syria and has already started slamming Obama.

The fact that Obama spoke about this issue AND met with them speaks volumes.

Obama isn't president of the world. Hopefully once his job is done as President, he will go into Human Rights as it seems to be a passion for him.

Are Amnesty doing anything though? Or other large Human Rights orgs? I haven't seen anything. Sad state of affairs.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 7, 2013 2:15:18 PM

9. Rowan, I am aware Obama is the President of the United States, the comments here that these people should be "lucky" that Obama even met with them and should go f*ck themselves is what set me off. And truth be told, many in the world see him as having GREAT influence because he is leader of the "so-called" Free World and had this meeting gone differently, the world that was watching may have had a thought - if even for a moment - about global LGBT human rights... I don't think that potential was lost on these Russian activists who are reaching out for ANYONE who will listen.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Sep 7, 2013 2:37:58 PM

10. I meant to put quotes around Free World.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Sep 7, 2013 2:44:45 PM

11. Another bitchy queen who will never be happy....cue the surprise...

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 7, 2013 3:08:48 PM

12. Typical queens who are never happy. I feel let down because I was born without testicles.

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 7, 2013 3:13:07 PM

13. I named myself after my father. But I mispelleded it. It was spposed to be ANKLEBITCH. Just came out wrong. Now I'm off to chew some poosy, just like my momma taught me.

Posted by: ANKERICH | Sep 7, 2013 3:19:25 PM

14. Actually, Wayne, you didn't even need quotation marks around so-called. If you do leave them there, you don't need the hyphen. And you probably don't need to capitalize free world.

Yes, I'm an annoying editor.

I'm mostly surprised that no one has started the ceaseless, useless argument about the use of T in LGTB in the clip. And how the B got pushed to the back of the bus for the first time I've seen.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 7, 2013 3:40:20 PM

15. Why did they send a wall-eyed guy? Obama should have been interviewed by that perfect genetic specimen Steve Grand. He could have "upbeat" him into anything.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 7, 2013 4:05:17 PM

16. lol Those eyes! Being gay in Russia means you have to watch out of both corners of your eyes at the same time.

Posted by: Hyde | Sep 7, 2013 4:08:09 PM

17. Anklebitch, please leave your gross sexual habits out of public discourse. Obviously your mother, who taught you to be a wretch, failed with manners and dignity.
    Why is everyone so vulgar these days? I'm over it. You should be too.

Posted by: yesplease | Sep 7, 2013 4:20:12 PM

18. Obama doesn't really like gays. He used them for his political benefit, or to appear benevolent. He's in such deep sh-- now he probably didn't have time to chat. Say what you will about Putin, but he really knows how to get someone by the balls.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 7, 2013 4:34:35 PM

19. Josh, yahoo comments section is that way -------->

Posted by: yesplease | Sep 7, 2013 4:43:58 PM

20. Maybe it is time for American gays to marry Russian gays to get them out of the country with a visa.

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Sep 7, 2013 5:28:44 PM

21. Josh please head on back to Gaypatriots and Redstate!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Sep 7, 2013 5:28:50 PM

22. Obama is a weak president. Not a bad president or a bad person but he lacks balls and lets Putin and the GOP have there way without making a strong statement. Biden forced him to finally make the statement supporting equal marriage. Obama should call out Putin and not let this wave of human rights abuses take place behind a new Iron Curtain. Obamas silence only emboldens further abuses such as taking away children from gay parents.

Posted by: terry | Sep 7, 2013 5:55:23 PM

23. Putin couldn't care less about Obama. In fact, I just read that 75 percent of the French population now wants their government to change their position on his Syria mess. Putin is in the driver's seat worldwide, Obama in the back in a toddler car seat.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 7, 2013 6:00:49 PM

24. @Eugene No, the point was to give them a voice, which it did. Now this guy is using that voice to whine about Obama. Pathetic.

Posted by: PeteP | Sep 7, 2013 6:09:00 PM