Bullying | Education | News | South Carolina

Lawsuit Alleges South Carolina Teacher Bullied a Gay Student to the Point of Suicide: VIDEO

Westashley

A lawsuit filed by a mother in South Carolina alleges that a teacher in South Carolina's Charleston County School District bullied a gay student to the point at which he attempted suicide. It says the school district failed to adequately put an end to or prevent the teacher's actions, WCIV reports:

According to court filings from Aug. 30, the West Ashley High School math teacher is not named as a defendant but his name fills the pages in the filing, alleging during the spring, he told called the plaintiff gay in front of other students on a daily basis. The student's attorney said the 16-year-old student is still undergoing treatment and has withdrawn from school to be home-schooled.

The student was called "gay," "gay boy," "Mrs. Pete," and "Mrs. Peter," according to the lawsuit.

The suit alleges the teacher also encouraged other members of the class to pick on and belittle the plaintiff. The student reportedly felt like he could not report the bullying to school administrators and "could not appeal to any of his classmates due to the alienation and isolation."

The bullying got so bad the student tried to take his own life by hanging, the suit alleges.

The lawsuit seeks damages and a jury trial.

Watch WCIV's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Comments

1. I'm happy the mother decided to pursue the school district & the kid is getting treatment but that 'teacher' needs to get canned ASAFP!

Posted by: theo | Sep 7, 2013 2:54:20 PM

2. That "teacher" needs to be put out of his misery.

Posted by: whatthefuck | Sep 7, 2013 2:56:02 PM

3. Smells fishy....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 7, 2013 3:07:13 PM

4. @ ANKERICH

it's 'cause your pussy eating mouth is too close to your nose.

Posted by: boi | Sep 7, 2013 3:23:49 PM

5. I'm sure the teacher is a good, pious evangelical, too. They tend to be smarmy and hateful. I hope the boy wins the lawsuit and they put that school into bankruptcy.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 7, 2013 3:28:40 PM

6. I'll bet my left ball which self-proclaimed morally superior religion the teacher belongs to.

Posted by: vini | Sep 7, 2013 3:43:01 PM

7. The teacher will also one day be caught out toe-tapping in some men's room. I predict.

Posted by: kdknyc | Sep 7, 2013 4:53:32 PM

8. But aren't all authority figures in South Carolina required to be assholes?

Posted by: terry | Sep 7, 2013 5:35:51 PM

9. This is deeply troubling. And disturbing. I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean...these are serious charges. What surprises me even more is the teacher is still working. I would think the school board would suspend pending investigation.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Sep 7, 2013 5:58:50 PM

10. http://westashleyhigh.ccsdschools.com/faculty_directory/mathematics_/alan_ingram

You could see in the lawsuit the math teacher was referred to as "Ingram" and yes they have a web page and yes there's a math department and yes there's an Ingram.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 7, 2013 6:09:54 PM

11. Eh, looks like a lot of bloggers (and students) already have identified Alan Ingram as the guy. Of course he's the "coach", big surprise.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 7, 2013 6:19:35 PM

12. If true, and if there is any real justice in this world, that scumbag of an educator should be charged with attempted murder.

Posted by: Service Alert | Sep 7, 2013 6:38:38 PM

13. I hope this dude is brought to justice if he's done this kid wrong. People forget that adults and TEACHERS can be the bullies too. I have a couple of inappropriate stories about x-stian teachers from my own high school--inappropriate comments, getting other student involved etc. I only wished I pushed it further when it happened. My prayers go out to the boy and his family.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Sep 7, 2013 6:53:38 PM

14. This exact same thing happened to a good friend of mine when he was in jail due to a contempt charge brought about by an unpaid traffic fine. He was locked up for 6 days and one of the correctional officers harassed him a couple of times in front of inmates. It is troubling that some men abuse their authority like this. I just don't get why they do it. Why dehumanize somebody because they are gay?

Posted by: Corey Lovins | Sep 7, 2013 6:58:54 PM

15. I find it amazing a teacher in this day and age, yes even in South Carolina, would engage in such behavior, at least with witnesses around.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 7, 2013 7:01:40 PM

16. @ratbastard. then you are naive to the level of socially acceptable hatred against gays in many parts of this country. boston is not the south

Posted by: gomez | Sep 7, 2013 7:25:37 PM

17. @ Ratbastard :
    I'm not at all surprised......and I'm horrified that I'm not.

Teachers love having a class on their side when there is a victim to pick on. It's called bullying and it goes on among adults as much as among children.
    Any workplace has its amount of bullying. harassment. targeting.
    If these allegations are proved then there ought to be a judicial inquiry into the conduct of the teaching profession and its standards as exist in South Carolina.....but the Judge conducting that inquiry should come from a non-southern state to avoid any issue of bias.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 7, 2013 7:32:56 PM

18. It's hard to believe that things are still this bad in the U.S.A. You're Southern states are the worst, which this example from South Carolina shows. It really would not be safe for a normal person, period, to live down there. My condolences to the young man and his family for being subjected to all this dreadful 18th Century thinking.

Posted by: David From Canada | Sep 7, 2013 8:45:01 PM

19. The only way to make schools take bullying seriously it to sue them until they are scared not to take action. I don't care for lawsuits and wish there were another way but few American organizations do anything just because it's the right thing to do, but scare them with the threat of lawsuits and they see the light very quickly. As for the teacher, he should lose his license. And everyone who knew about this and failed to intervene should suffer the same fate. This is inexcusable.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Sep 7, 2013 9:01:00 PM

20. Where the hell were the principal and the administration in this school????? Their job is to make sure that their teachers are TEACHING MATH not promoting any kind of sexuality. These are the people to blame. Sexual pervert teachers like this need to be fired and not terrorizing kids. He obviously has personal sexual issues and needs to be away from children.

Posted by: NE Rich | Sep 7, 2013 11:06:34 PM

21. i'm not making any assertions or suggestions, but the yp directory has this response...
    LastName: Ingram
    FirstName: Alan
    Secondary:
    Address Number: 2432
    Address Suffix: Rd
    Address Street: Croydon
    Phone: 704-334-5109

Posted by: bandanajack | Sep 7, 2013 11:11:18 PM

22. Bandanajack-- you aint no Nancy Drew. The man that you listed is in a different state and city (Charlotte,NC NOT Charleston, SC) and he is 84 years old-- not too likely that he would be teaching high school.

Posted by: indigoboy32 | Sep 7, 2013 11:37:21 PM

23. If this is true I hope he rots in jail for a long time. But as that won't happen, at least I expect that he can not exert as a teacher anymore.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Sep 7, 2013 11:44:02 PM

24. This is totally believable. I'm a (relatively) recent Florida high school graduate and the abuse I endured from teachers was worse than that from my peers, and that was pretty terrible.

Posted by: JMC | Sep 7, 2013 11:56:28 PM

25. Sue.

Sue them all, and let the courts sort it out !

Crappy teachers are difficult to fire, public education in the US has always sucked.

Posted by: LetsTalk | Sep 8, 2013 1:41:13 AM