John Coons | News | Web Series

BigGayDeal.com

'Six Months for Six Weeks', a Gay Musical Web Series About a Relationship with an Expiration Date: VIDEO

Sixmonths

Six Months for Six Weeks is a six-part web series from singer-songwriter John Coons and filmmaker Alex Berry.

It's a semi-autobiographical one-man show based around songs, and tells the story of two 20-something men in Portland, Maine and their six week "relationship with an expiration date." It's set against 2009's 'Question 1' gay marriage debate.

Write the filmmakers: "Alternatively tender and satirical, it looks at the definitions and value we place on relationships in our changing world."

Watch the first episode, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_coons

Comments

1. The music? Nah. Acting? yeah.

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 20, 2013 9:14:58 PM

2. I lasted about 30 seconds into that song... waiting for when it got good, but it got worse and worse and worse.

You can't do a musical if 1) you don't get the music right and 2) the lyrics sound like they were written by the girl who sang Friday.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 20, 2013 9:41:52 PM

3. Was this Rebecca Black? Just terribad writing.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 21, 2013 12:02:51 AM

4. Hm... so much for constructive criticism. What a bunch of vicious queens. I thought we were supposed to uplift our LGBT brethren and not tear them down.

Posted by: Brandon | Sep 21, 2013 1:09:01 AM

5. Sorry to blow the fantasy, but all gay relationships have an expiration date. Remember that newlyweds... either that, or one of you is going to be miserable. Uplifting? Being gay isn't a club Brandon. We fought for the right to marry, not patch flat tires.

Posted by: Ed | Sep 21, 2013 1:26:27 AM

6. Okay Ed, let's see the statistics you gathered.

My husband's and my relationship expired when he died. I suppose there is a very outside sense that is what you meant. I guess we would have to had died together to make your statistics not work.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Sep 21, 2013 5:52:46 AM

7. To many of the above posters:

Let's see you write, play, and sing something better.

I wish I had his talent.

Posted by: beejay | Sep 21, 2013 9:35:33 AM

8. I's a nice try at something different that doesn't quite make it. Interesting premise cute boys, but the music is weak.

Maybe it will improve with the next episode.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 21, 2013 9:40:32 AM

9. I enjoyed it! Something different!! All the other web-series are grand and unique in their own way but this had a quirkiness to it ... I'm excited for the next one!!

Posted by: Will | Sep 21, 2013 2:00:50 PM

10. You're not over your lover's death. Don't play it out on a comment line. My sympathies.

Posted by: Ed | Sep 21, 2013 2:30:34 PM

11. What an incredible premiere episode! This guy is clearly mega talented -- I'm really curious as to how this is going to progress! Interesting concept -- unlike anything I've ever seen.

Keep it going, John!

Posted by: Joey | Sep 21, 2013 8:41:56 PM

12. Just me, but I got a lot more out of these 14 minutes than I did out of the movie "Weekend," which explored similar relationship-on-a-deadling-issues. (I know a lot of people loved that movie, but I thought it was somewhat overrated.) This, however--this is magical. Can't wait to see the next installments.

Posted by: Dback | Sep 21, 2013 9:15:30 PM

13. This is a great idea but I have some difficulty getting past the half-baked songwriting. Since all the songs have no rhyming structure they feel like all emotion and little craft and I tend to appreciate crafty lyrics. I wish him luck though; it's a pretty ambitious project.

Posted by: JamesinMA | Sep 22, 2013 12:48:35 AM

14. Wow,this episode has me excited for the series. And the music is so good, I can't believe some people here. The music and his voice are on point, the lyrics though aren't so good during some segments.

Anyway, I'm hooked. I hope new episodes consistently arrive. Never know with these web series'.

Posted by: anony6 | Sep 22, 2013 3:01:20 AM

15. I adore this site for all of its content - except the music that is being uploaded. It's either extremely shallow & standard gay bar beats or overly sentimental and emotionally immature love songs. Yuck.

Posted by: Millie85 | Sep 22, 2013 4:44:09 AM

16. @Ryan: So agree. At least I made it pass the one minute mark.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 22, 2013 2:07:29 PM

17. perhaps a bit self indulgent and a too long .. Edit. Edit . Edit

Posted by: MarkBoston | Sep 23, 2013 1:43:16 AM

18. Wow that was amazing! Other gay video makers take note, THAT is what it looks like when you have a goal, conviction to reach goal and a vision of the whole project. I hate musicals! I don't think that guy is hot and yet I watched it and liked it. It felt very honest. Just great!

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 23, 2013 2:23:03 PM

19. A bit self-indulgent. I'm willing to go with the somewhat random musical composition, but I wish he'd gotten a more polished singer to perform the songs. He has a nice camera presence, but an entire monologue in a shower while talking about a first date? He's cute, but that's just random and a bit, well, again, self-indulgent. I'm willing to see where this goes, but I hope it's more than just a psychoanalytic ego trip. Also, you had a series of hot boyfriends that didn't work out and I'm supposed to feel sorry for you? Please, cry me a river.

Posted by: DMP107 | Sep 24, 2013 12:10:57 AM

20. @JAMESINMA Just because a lot of songs have a rhyming structure doesn't mean that a song must. Go listen to "Frank Mills" on the soundtrack of Hair. Some lyrics:

I met a boy called Frank Mills
    On September 12th, right here
    In front of the Waverly.
    But unfortunately
    I lost his address.

He was last seen with his friend,
    A drummer, he resembles
    George Harrison of the Beatles
    But he wears his hair
    Tied in a small bow at the back.

(etc.)

I love it, it's one of the most affecting songs in the show.

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 30, 2013 1:43:13 AM

21. Yeah, he's a talented guy, but this is way too self indulgent to keep my interest. As a die-hard musical theater geek I can handle the crappy songs, but the confessional style, the instagrammy filters, his unwavering belief that everything that he's ever said and experienced is completely fascinating, his lingering gazes into the camera? Too darn much.

Posted by: Jason | Oct 11, 2013 10:31:39 AM