Wrestling Restored to the Summer Olympics

Wrestling has been restored to the Olympics, the NYT reports:

WrestlingChastened by calls to modernize its leadership and energize its matches, wrestling changed its rules, created more weight classes for women and easily prevailed over squash and a combined bid by baseball and softball.

Wrestling received 49 votes, compared with 24 for baseball/softball and 22 for squash in voting by delegates of the Olympic committee. The vote guaranteed that freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling would be contested at least through the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo and the 2024 Olympics, which have yet to be awarded.

Last February, in what was seen as a wake-up call, the 15-member executive board of the I.O.C. removed wrestling from the core sports of the Summer Games after the 2016 Rio Olympics.

If you'll remember, at the time Russian wrestling coach Vladimir Uruimagov blamed the sport's ejection from the Olympics on — you guessed it! Masculinity-hating gays.

“If they expel wrestling now, that means that gays will soon run the whole world,” said Uruimagov, saying it was "a blow to masculine origins. Uruimagov added: "It turns out this committee is headed by representative of these [sexual] minorities."

Uruimagov added: "It is necessary for millions around the world who understand that this is a man’s sport and who understand the need to continue the human race to go out and explain their position to the Olympic Committee. We should prove and explain that in any other case there is no future."

Comments

1. says

Mr. Uruimagov,

Yeah, we gays really hate wrestling. I mean, two guys grabbing, holding and rolling around on the floor with each while being practically naked. Who wants to see that, right? Surely not us “masculinity hating” gays because there is nothing, and I repeat, nothing homoerotic about Greco-Roman wrestling.

2. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

As a high school & college wrestler, I am amazed the IOC would even consider dropping wrestling from the Olympics. It’s the purest of competition & sport, dating back to ancient times. It’s truly a test of physical and mental determination at the most basic level.

Perhaps rolling around the mat with arms and legs intertwined in struggle against an opponent with zero body fat & clad in Spandex was a part of the sport’s appeal to me. However, I credit the determination and intensity necessary to win as character building qualities that served me well in life.

OK, OK, make fun of me if you wish (but I bet I could still pin you on your back in no time flat).

3. Geoff says

Please. Wrestling is one of the most homoerotic things a person can do!! Always (since ancient times) has been…and always will be. Grow up and deal. It also takes skill and power. Great sport!!!

4. Graphicjack says

Yes, next us masculinity-hating gays will want to get rid of gymnastics, swimming and especially diving because clearly we hate watching men in speedos and spandex. I still remember watching swimming during the 1976 Olympics (ah… the speedo years… Lose those body-hiding unitards, boys) and feeling excited but not knowing why… Keep in mind I was six at the time. Diving, though, is the hottest… First they dive in the water in those mini-speedos, which they have to hike up when by get get out if the water… Then they take a mini-shower, then join other hot divers in a hot tub… Hello! What’s more homoerotic than that?

5. Rick says

The comments here kind of underscore the man’s point about most gays being anti-masculinity. You see, most of you don’t like wrestling AS A SPORT, any more than you like football, boxing, hockey or other such sports. All you like about watching it is indulging your sexual fantasies, which revolves around the objectification of men, in general.

Just as most of you don’t “like men”–not as people–no, you “like men” only as sexual objects to be used for physical gratification and then discarded.

Big difference.

So I suspect his assessment of a gay man trying to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics due to an anti-masculinity attitude is right on the money.

I wish I did not think that, but I don’t really see any way around it.

6. Tom G says

Dear @FENROX:

Your fantasy that a gay man cannot really enjoy the sport of wrestling is just that, a fantasy.

A gay man, myself, I can tell you it is first and foremost the SPORT of WRESTLING that appeals to me. It’s totally cool by me that men wrestle with whatever amount of covering of their bodies, the excitement, aggression high, and fun of the sport are exactly the same as any straight guys I have met, and I’ve met and know hundreds and thousands of such men. It’s exactly the same for other gay men who are into wrestling a sport. If I had both the strength and agility of a wrestler I would choose freestyle first – I like the elaborate play of moves and transitions and holds between the contestants. There is a bit less of that in Greco-Roman wrestling although it has its own grab bag of tactics aplenty. I don’t know if there is any more aggression to Greco-Roman wrestlers than Freestyle ones, but to watch G-R match boosts my testosterone and adrenaline to the point I’m sweating and heart pounding by the end of a good match, and it’s not sex I’m fantasizing about or appreciating in the moment, but wrestling. I did some folkstyle in high school, never was on a school team mainly because the junior and high schools here had no wrestling program at all in Studio City at the time; instead, it was when we moved to Chicago and I attended a suburban high school where every other boy wrestled I wanted to learn as much for self-defense and ego protection, but the longer I wrestled the more I loved the sport. Plenty of time to make dates later on if another wrestler were open to it (none were in my case), but the two activities, while superficially connected by body contact and physical exertion, were and are as unalike as any with any other sport. There are cute guys and sexy guys occasionally but most are just guys like me, but not like me in that I’m gay. They never minded nor suspected I was gay, though, because just as they did, I wrestled, had fun. In fact the other guys were entertained by my enthusiasm fun and especially aggression, something I rarely showed to the world except on the mat.