Jack Andraka | News | Science

BigGayDeal.com

'60 Minutes' Profiles Gay Teen Science Prodigy Jack Andraka: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 6.23.11 PM

We previously met Jack Andraka, the 16-year-old openly gay wunderkind who has developed a ground-breaking new way to detect the early stages of pancreatic, ovarian, and lung cancer.

This week's episode of 60 Minutes featured a fascinating look into the Maryland teen's journey from small-town science buff to internationally renowned innovator. This kid is going to revolutionize science, and he knows it.

Check out the story of this boy wonder, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This wonderful young man has a terrific career and future ahead of him. Shame on anyone who may criticize his openly affectionate and exuberant nature, and thank goodness we live in a time where it is easier for a 15 yr old to be openly and unapologetically himself.

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 14, 2013 8:38:25 PM

2. His joy when he wins is infectious!

Posted by: colin | Oct 14, 2013 8:40:43 PM

3. Love this kid, I think he is amazing.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 14, 2013 8:42:28 PM

4. MORE stories about gay role models like this! Actually gay or straight, he is an incredible role model.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 14, 2013 8:43:22 PM

5. Cool story, encouraging, etcetera. That said you have to be always cautious with the hype, many times –and I mean, many, many, many times- promising things never leave that stage, this story sold well because of the guy’s age and factors (as the old fantasy of the basement’s genius that saves the world) but science has slow pace of confirming things, magic spells are for Harry Potter.
    About the 60 minutes show, I’m sure the reporter must have an impressive background, but they should consider having someone younger than 100 y.o. to perform, the guy seemed barely there, he himself should realize that, T.V. demands another excellence.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Oct 14, 2013 9:07:02 PM

6. I saw this interview last night on 60 Minutes and figured the kid was gay. I was wondering, well expecting, 60 Minutes to avoid that issue but at one point they said to him, about a teacher who was fuming at him, "as if you had a Playboy".

It's like, no, 60 Minutes, not every boy reads Playboy.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 14, 2013 9:09:07 PM

7. Brilliant young man! And kudos to his lab mentor at Johns Hopkins for giving Jack a chance to show what he could do.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 14, 2013 9:09:43 PM

8. You go, science grrl

Posted by: Carlos | Oct 14, 2013 9:21:43 PM

9. No mention by 60 Minutes of his political advocacy? Odd.

Posted by: Marco Luxe | Oct 14, 2013 10:03:47 PM

10. Carlos,

Jack is a boy, not a girl or a "grrl." Don't disrespect him.

Posted by: Sami | Oct 14, 2013 10:20:49 PM

11. Good luck to him!

Posted by: Reality | Oct 14, 2013 10:22:26 PM

12. Nice that his family keeps him so grounded. His parent and brother also have impressive credentials (according to Wikipedia).

@SAYTHETRUTH - don't be such an ageist.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 14, 2013 10:22:38 PM

13. Did anyone else notice that his lab work is at the David H. Koch Cancer Research Center?

Posted by: D.R.H. | Oct 14, 2013 10:34:08 PM

14. Hey he says he only really has one gay scientist hero that he knows about (one being Turning). We all just might have two.

Posted by: Mr. Smith | Oct 14, 2013 10:34:41 PM

15. DRH- Yes, I roll my eyes every time I pass that Koch building on Orleans Street.

It is so heartwarming to see Jack's passion and that he has the potential to save thousands of lives. I think we will be hearing more from him.

Posted by: TowsonMdGuy | Oct 14, 2013 11:25:43 PM

16. A 13 minute segment on an openly gay prodigy on 60 minutes. Is it asking too much that they mention his being proudly gay? Gay youths need all the positive role models they can get and homophobes need to know that it might be a gay kid who discovers the cure for cancer.

Posted by: Kieran | Oct 14, 2013 11:32:25 PM

17. Leave it to 60 Minutes to "in" this proudly out kid during National Coming Out Week.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 14, 2013 11:43:46 PM

18. badass - there are a lot of nerdy & brilliant gay men out there - nice to see him representing that

Posted by: steve | Oct 14, 2013 11:43:50 PM

19. So adorable and his energy and enthusiasm is incredibly infectious. Have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more from this kid in our lifetime.

I remember reading about the brother making nitroglycerin but never made the connection that those two were brothers.

Amazing what a supportive and creative environment can do for progress. Schools and the education system of our country should really take note.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Oct 15, 2013 2:08:32 AM

20. We know Jack is gay, how exactly? Not from watching 60 Minutes!

That "Playboy" line was offensive! Not every teenage boy is interested in Playboy! (Is Playgirl still published?)

Posted by: MadProfessah | Oct 15, 2013 3:10:37 AM

21. I saw this segment & all I could think about was thank god that there exists young people with passion.. He's going a long way because of his true passion /you could see it in His eyes every time he spoke..I love that spark in people that makes them light up!,

Posted by: Tony C | Oct 15, 2013 3:15:38 AM

22. @ Kieran: I completely disagree. His being gay is completely irrelevant to his accomplishments. In fact, it would have been wrong to include it. His sexual preference or any aspect of his personal life is not really relevant. His parents and brother fill out the story about how his scientific life evolved. Anything else is off topic. I was pleased to see that it WASN'T included.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 15, 2013 3:20:00 AM

23. 60 Minutes is homophobic, hence the de-gaying of this scientist.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 15, 2013 4:04:20 AM

24. Figured he was gay just by watching the 60 minutes thing.

You never know, perhaps he himself didn't want that aspect of his life to be reported as it may have overshadowed his accomplishment. I don't always lead with "Hi, I'm gay and this is what I do for a living."

For some of us out here in the real world, gay is down on the list somewhere, not always first.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 15, 2013 8:10:41 AM

25. I think 60 Minutes was wrong not to include Jack's sexuality because he has been quite open about his desire to be a role model for other LGBT youth interested in science. When he was contacted by a (gay) reporter who wanted to confirm that he was, in fact, gay and write a story that included that fact this is how Jack Andraka responded:

“That sounds awesome! I’m openly gay and one of my biggest hopes is that I can help inspire other LGBT youth to get involved in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.] I didn’t have many [gay] role models [in science] besides Alan Turing.”

Here is the article: http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/standing-on-the-right-side-of-history-16-year-old-jack-andraka-is-the-edison-of-our-times#.UlyY2lOz66s

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 15, 2013 9:02:15 AM