Asbury Park | Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Retired Catholic Priest Marries First Gay Couples in Asbury Park, NJ: VIDEO

Asburypark

In addition to the midnight weddings in Lambertville and those officiated by Cory Booker in Newark, NJ, three gay couples were married shortly after the clock struck 12 on the steps of the Paramount Theatre at the boardwalk in the Jersey Shore town of Asbury Park. Reverend Tom Pivinski, a retired Catholic priest, officiated the weddings.

Watch the heartwarming video from the Asbury Park Press, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Congratulations to the couples.

Although I find religious belief to be a disgusting lifestyle choice.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 21, 2013 8:36:03 AM

2. I'd like to see more priests do this. There is a role for civil disobedience weighing the church.

Posted by: Clayton | Oct 21, 2013 8:37:10 AM

3. I know one of those guys. Dammit, where'd I put the Kleenex...?

Posted by: MickleSt | Oct 21, 2013 9:39:26 AM

4. I know one of those guys. Dammit, where'd I put the Kleenex...?

Posted by: MickleSt | Oct 21, 2013 9:39:26 AM

5. Congrats to my neighbors in NJ! PA will get there eventually ...

Posted by: Dave in PA | Oct 21, 2013 9:42:20 AM

6. Fully expect Bill Donahue's head to explode! The retired Catholic priest Rev. Thomas Pivinski, who officiated at the ceremonies called his state’s recognition of marriage equality “WONDERFUL.” He said: “I am just very grateful that the state has recognized the equality of ALL people" . . .

Posted by: Mike | Oct 21, 2013 10:07:32 AM

7. I just wonder what kind of "punishment" the Church will exact from this retired priest. As Mike said, Bill Donohue's head will explode. Congrats to all the newly married New Jerseyites!

Posted by: Abel | Oct 21, 2013 11:59:27 AM

8. I hope this priest has money of his own because former bosses will do everything they can to deprive him of his retirement. They do it all the time - even to bishops who served the church for decades and then have a disagreement with the bureaucracy. The Vatican doesn't hesitate a nanosecond to mete out severe punishment to those who disagree with them-if they have the power to do so. They're mean.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Oct 21, 2013 1:52:38 PM

9. On the other hand, the priest's garb looks like it may be a Franciscan habit. If so, the boys in Rome will have nothing to say about his retirement monies; and the Franciscans are notoriously more liberal than those hypocritical, pedophile-hiding/enabling Vatican bureaucrats.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Oct 21, 2013 1:54:52 PM

10. It's just as well this priest was already retired, because he certainly violated HRCC corporate policy. He would have had the wrath of an angry bishop, which is actually worse than or the same as having an angry old queen mad at you.

Now for the good news, that was cool. Congratulations to all of the people of New Jersey for having achieved equal rights.

Posted by: Steve Rider | Oct 22, 2013 7:36:02 AM

11. Looks like Pope Francis' message got out that the RCC needs to forget about being rigid doctrinaire and work towards being more caring. I'm glad to see that not all Catholic priests are like the jerks found in other places and good on this good man for performing the service.

Posted by: Texas Aggie | Oct 22, 2013 1:05:36 PM