"Ex-Gays" | News | Stephen Baldwin | Video

Stephen Baldwin Defends Upcoming Gig At 'Pray Away the Gay' Conference: VIDEO

Stephenbaldwin

The somewhat less famous Baldwin brother, Stephen, is set to speak at a conference called "Rising from the Ashes," which touts "freedom from homosexuality through Jesus Christ." Mr. Baldwin, an evangelical Christian who previously found himself in hot water after expressing support for right-winger and former actor Kirk Cameron, claimed that his involvement in the conference is not necessarily about gay conversion. He is, after all, good friends with Rosie O'Donnell.

HuffPost reports:

The 47-year-old star of "The Usual Suspects" and "Threesome" told HuffPost Live that the conference is primarily "an opportunity for people who are unsure ... to have a conversation about [which] direction they want to go."

"I wouldn't say that my message is, 'You can pray the gay away,'" Baldwin said. "Literally, some of my best friends in the world are gay, and they know I'm evangelical and I know they're gay, and we love each other and respect each other in that way."

Has Stephen cooled down since his Howard Stern condemnations of gay marriage? I'd suspect the answer is no.

Watch him open up about faith and homosexuality, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This was perfect timing! I like to purge after lunch.

Posted by: Mitch | Oct 22, 2013 2:24:37 PM

2. Yeah, he doesn't want to convince anybody, but if they believe what he believes, they sure won't be tolerated if they don't "convert" to being straight. Baldwin, as most Evangelicals, know very little about anything.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 22, 2013 2:28:16 PM

3. All the Baldwin brothers are ridiculous.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 22, 2013 2:33:37 PM

4. What a dumb tool he is

Posted by: Ted | Oct 22, 2013 2:36:09 PM

5. He got neither the looks, nor the brains.

What an utterly ridiculous family though.

Posted by: danswon | Oct 22, 2013 2:41:48 PM

6. Goodbye Baldwin No.2 No wonder he is.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 22, 2013 2:42:38 PM

7. He is an A-hole

Posted by: Rene | Oct 22, 2013 2:46:20 PM

8. Am I the only one laughing at how fast people like this backpedal once anyone calls them out on their anti-gay bigotry?

Also, I know I'm old because I remember when Stephen Baldwin used to be hot. That really was a long time ago, wasn't it.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Oct 22, 2013 2:49:13 PM

9. Tie the Baldwins to the Kardashians and drop them off the pier.

Posted by: Endora | Oct 22, 2013 2:53:27 PM

10. I agree with Endora!

Besides, this is the only gig he could get, the smarmy little creep.

Posted by: Lifesart | Oct 22, 2013 3:03:15 PM

11. Why doesn't anyone ever interview these alleged "best friends" that are gay. Whenever one of these wackos starts spouting off at the mouth, they always seem to throw in the "some of my best friends are gay" declaration. What self-loathing gays would be friends with someone like this?

Posted by: shaun | Oct 22, 2013 3:11:29 PM

12. His movie Threesome was a cutting edge, pro-gay movie for its time. How funny how far things have come for our culture and Mr. Baldwin, sadly though in opposite directions.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 22, 2013 3:13:05 PM

13. Wow, he's... degraded in every possible way. He looks like zero IQ mod muscle. Of course, in reality, he's zero IQ he's zero IQ ultraright wingnut muscle, so I guess that's fitting.

Posted by: Tarc | Oct 22, 2013 3:39:19 PM

14. Has anyone ever asked Baldwin why he is so convinced that the gay can be prayed away? He's so sure of it, in the face of all common sense and scientific research, that I wonder if he believes this because he believes that he's been able to pray away his OWN gay.

Posted by: Jere | Oct 22, 2013 3:49:11 PM

15. "Some of my best friends are gay..."
    At what point do people realize this is the worst thing to say when confronted with their bigotry?
    On a side note, Kirk Cameron makes me LOL though, the two of them are quite the homophobic pair.
    Do these people really believe that Jesus would stand with them? (if he even actually existed) The Jesus I read about seems to contradict so many of the Christian haters out there...casting the first stone and such...especially since Jesus never commented on homosexuality. (which wasn't even a term back then..you know...when the world was flat!) So where do they get their info?? Leviticus? yeah...like anyone actually lives their lives avoiding on ALL the sins in Leviticus. Better put that shellfish down and sell your daughters into slavery, and seclude yourself from others if your a woman menstruating.

Posted by: John | Oct 22, 2013 4:24:52 PM

16. Every white supremacist has black friends. Every anti-Semite has Jewish friends. Every anti-gay fundamentalist wacko has gay friends. Just ask them and they'll tell you. How can this happen? Has anyone ever seen these "friends?" Do they have names? Are they like Mr. Bobo, a little kid's invisible clown friend? Who believes this BS?

Posted by: Jim | Oct 22, 2013 5:00:34 PM

17. Why don't they ever talk about praying the straight away? I know, I know .. but still.

Posted by: mA Mc | Oct 22, 2013 5:02:16 PM

18. Clearly does not understand the definition of R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Oct 22, 2013 5:31:54 PM

19. When I was a little kid i thought he was really cool. I'm embarassed about that now, since he is such an ugly idiot now.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 22, 2013 6:02:09 PM

20. "Since I became a Christian I am doing a radio show....." huh ?

So I guess he's an atheist as regards all the other gods......except for his bible god.

He is one of the most boring men I listened to.
    On another topic it seems to me that this 'Rising from the Ashes' or 'Praying the Gay Away' is peculiarly American.
    Sure, there may be imported off-shoots in Europe ( I don't know where).....but all this evangelical, Jesus , ex Gay urge is particularly American.
    There are probably historical and immigration causes of such absurdity.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 22, 2013 6:14:32 PM

21. "I want to communicate the journey I'm having...."

Who the f*** speaks like this ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 22, 2013 6:16:06 PM

22. There is absolutely nothing behind those eyes. Nothing.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 22, 2013 6:17:01 PM

23. He is a completely useless amount of biological matter.

Posted by: Mighty | Oct 22, 2013 6:49:30 PM

24. I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    I will not say anything about how dumb he looks.
    ". . .-98-99-100"

Posted by: Mike | Oct 22, 2013 8:49:57 PM

25. Who cares what a crackhead thinks?

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Oct 22, 2013 11:48:20 PM