Jack Andraka | Medicine | News | Science | Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert Talks to Gay Teen Science Prodigy Jack Andraka: VIDEO

Andraka

Stephen Colbert last night welcomed Jack Andraka, the 16-year-old gay science genius who developed a groundbreaking new way to detect early stages of pancreatic, ovarian, and lung cancer.

Asked Colbert: "Have you thought about using your powers for evil, cause this is the age at which normally supervillains make the turn?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you missed Andraka's 60 Minutes segment, catch it HERE.

2_andraka

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

Comments

1. Awesome kid!

Posted by: Michael W. | Oct 31, 2013 9:32:34 AM

2. I wonder how it feels to be that smart. He seems really grounded.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 31, 2013 9:46:51 AM

3. Brilliant young man. That's what can happen when a kid comes from a supportive & positive family.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 31, 2013 10:11:28 AM

4. I love how everyone and their dog and their dogs fleas likes to point out that he is gay, and yet Jack himself almost never mentions it.

He is a GAY 16 year old, a GAY genius, who is going to grow up to be a GAY scientist. I wonder if it was pancreatic cancer or GAY pancreatic cancer he developed a test for?

As someone who wears, with pride, the gay label, the way the gay community likes to paint gay all over this kid reminds me more of Carrie at the prom being doused with pig blood and less like our community celebrating one of our own's achievements.

Posted by: Michael Sawyer | Oct 31, 2013 10:16:14 AM

5. @Michael
    Pointing out that some kid is gay...compared to bloody carrie?

Get to a shrink fast.

The amount of self hating trolls on this site is just astounding.

I hope 16 year old Jack and other like him NEVER READ THE COMMENTS ON HERE.

Posted by: QJ201 | Oct 31, 2013 10:18:58 AM

6. I agree about the trolls on this site; negativity abounds irregardless of the subject matter...

That being said, I hope this young man gets the accolades he deserves! What a promising future :)

Posted by: mX | Oct 31, 2013 10:24:43 AM

7. Brilliant, grounded and adorable.

@QJ201, "Get to a shrink fast."

No kidding. Why the hell do people like that even frequent this site? It must be torture.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 31, 2013 10:30:11 AM

8. Michael Sawyer: He never mentions he is gay because he is never questioned about his life apart science.
    The time he was questioned about dating girls he mentioned he is gay.

And this is a gay site, if Jack was straight it wouldn't be any reason to post something about him here (this is not an scientific or medical site).

And frankly i don't get the comparision with Carrie, maybe you can explain that.
    Curious that in one of the few articles nobody was trolling you had to mention something like that

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 31, 2013 10:33:53 AM

9. "self hating troll

Oh, stop it. Stop with the idiotic "self hating" nonsense. I loathe the attempt to dismiss anyone people disagree with by flinging out that label.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Oct 31, 2013 10:35:19 AM

10. wikipedia:

"Jack has been openly gay since he was 13, and discussed that in interviews with The New Civil Rights Movement, the London Evening Standard, and Washington's MetroWeekly, among others. When asked to be interviewed about his sexual orientation, Jack responded, "That sounds awesome! I’m openly gay and one of my biggest hopes is that I can help inspire other LGBT youth to get involved in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics]. I didn't have many [gay] role models [in science] besides Alan Turing."

Posted by: roby | Oct 31, 2013 10:43:02 AM

11. Regardless of internalized feelings or how over the top the media is, or over publicized this story may be, this is about celebrating and supporting our children's achievements and guiding them as contributors to a healthy society. As parents, neighbors and gay elders here, we have a social responsibility to support and uplift the next generations and help them make the world a better place. So I am grateful for all the promotion sites like this give this story.

Posted by: spg | Oct 31, 2013 10:47:32 AM

12. Henry Holland, anyone who visits a "site with homosexual tendencies" and then bitches about too much emphasis on "the gay" deserves to be dismissed.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 31, 2013 10:48:12 AM

13. Henry Holland: I'm not seeing the disagreement, bitching about everything, yes, but disagreement, no. To disagree you have to post an opinion that has any sense

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 31, 2013 10:48:19 AM

14. Good to see someone happy about science who is too young, and too much a hero, for the critics to attack him for it.

Suck on that, reddit.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 31, 2013 10:51:06 AM

15. This dude rocks. Out, empowered, brainy and unstoppable. Take note, fully grown adults who troll the site daily; this KID is doing what you trolls won't ever do - stand up to be counted. KUDOS!

Posted by: Swoon | Oct 31, 2013 10:57:04 AM

16. I see at least two of the self-hating trolls are out in force today, since this is a post about a gay person who is successful. Happily, the paid Koch brothers trolls can rest for this post as it has nothing to do with politics.

Good work, Trollroad!

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Oct 31, 2013 11:00:38 AM

17. Because Jack Andraka has been open about being gay and his desire to be a role model for other gay kids with an interest in science I thought the 60 Minutes "documentary" piece about him was wrong for not mentioning it.

This interview was a slightly different situation though and it seemed to be Colbert left him an opening to mention it if he wanted to, by asking about his life outside the lab. At 16 it would be slightly creepy to ask about his sexuality in a standard interview, IMO.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2013 11:10:15 AM

18. Frankly, I found both this piece and the 60 minutes segment a wonderful profile about a talented teenager in the science field. Neither one mentioned that he's gay! There's a small population that actually cares about his sexual orientation, and that's either the LGBT or homophobe community - the LGBT to claim one as their own and hold up as a role model, and the other one to ... I don't know, do some hating on someone?

Bravo Colbert and 60 minutes - let Jack be his own person and choose to disclose his sexual orientation as he sees fit.

Posted by: PadLake | Oct 31, 2013 11:53:25 AM

19. To some of us being Gay is not just a sexual orientation. It is a social orientation, a life history, an identity.
    This blog has taught me that many of you don't feel this way, and that is fine. But some of us do, and that is why we believe in knowing who is Gay, who was Gay in history, and having Gay History Months and Gay history taught in the schools...and sh.t like that. (if I were speaking what I just wrote it would be in my most exhausted & monotone voice because we've covered this issue of "Gay identity" over and over and over again.)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 31, 2013 12:05:44 PM

20. He is 16. I think it is ok to ask him about his identity as being gay (this not a sexual thing), but part of who is as a young man. If he wants to discuss other aspects such as dating, etc. then that is up to him to decide. He is an exceptional young man and that has nothing do with his sexual orienation. The fact he is out and proud makes him even more exceptional!

Posted by: Viso | Oct 31, 2013 12:12:19 PM

21. First of all: congrats to this kid for his amazing accomplishments! No one can seriously doubt he is amazingly talented, indeed perhaps a genius. And he does seem like a really sweet boy. He has my deepest respect.

But.

There's something about this kind of effeminate behavior that I do not like - whether it's a guy's or a girl's btw. It's a kind of 'acted' behavior, influenced by the movies and TV, wherein emotions and intonation are exaggerated to a certain extent so that the audience knows what's being expressed. You see it mostly in movies and shows that target younger audiences and, subsequently, in people who are (or used to be) part of that audience. And in Jack Andraka as well, in my opinion.

He's young an still in the delicate process of finding out who he is (although career-wise he seems to have a better handle on that than most of us do, bless his heart). But I do hope he outgrows his Hollywood girly-girl act. Not because it's effeminate, but because it's not a 100% genuine. (I'm gonna get roasted for this for sure).

Posted by: Miller | Oct 31, 2013 12:23:56 PM

22. Hey Miller, you could always do what Andraka is doing and put yourself out there with 100% visibility as the gay man you are.

You insist he's acting. Why? Because you think he's different in manner from you? That's odd.

So, let's see if you possess even half of Andraka's integrity and courage. I'm not roasting you, by the way. I'm calling your bluff.

So, let's see who you are. You can put your non-effeminate non-acting gay self on youtube, post the link here for us all to see your example of a non-affected gay man.

Surely as an out and empowered gay man you won't give excuses to be as visible and known as gay as this sixteen year old is, right?

So, when can we expect to see you?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 31, 2013 12:40:09 PM

23. Watching this I just have the urge to hook-him-up with that kid in Arizona who built a working fusion reactor in his garage at 17 and works with synthetic isotopes.

"Paging Magneto and Professor X..."

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Oct 31, 2013 12:40:41 PM

24. Miller's take: He's perfect! If only he didn't act effeminate.
    Miller must be felching (Fred) Phelps and (Bryan) Fischer. Bless his heart.

Posted by: parkrunner | Oct 31, 2013 12:58:49 PM

25. @ParkRunner, just ONCE I'd love it if these "I don't like how he's acting effeminate" dudes would put their face to their comments. It's the same old same old - the guys who ramble on and on about "effeminacy" and insist it's a "learned affectation" are always the least willing to stand up to be counted and show who they are as gay men. Oh well. :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 31, 2013 1:08:59 PM