Chris Colfer | Cory Monteith | Darren Criss | Glee | News | Television

All the Performances from Last Night's Emotional 'Glee' Tribute to Cory Monteith: VIDEO

Glee

Not surprisingly, viewers tuned in in huge numbers to watch Glee's tribute episode to Cory Monteith, titled "The Quarterback", and the show posted its best ratings since September 2012.

The emotional episode features the entire cast performing "Seasons of Love" from Rent.  Monteith's real-life girlfriend Lea Michele broke into tears during “Make You Feel My Love.” Naya Rivera sang “If I Die Young” and Amber Riley performed “I’ll Stand By You." Mark Salling performed "No Surrender", and Chord Overstreet and Kevin McHale sang James Taylor's "Fire and Rain".

Just about everything in the show was filmed in one take, according to creator Ryan Murphy.

Watch all the performances, AFTER THE JUMP...

Glee2

Comments

1. If ratings are any indication, we may need to bump off another cast member. Advertisers love those "can't look, can't look away" moments.

Posted by: Criss | Oct 11, 2013 1:31:12 PM

2. Why are we still talking about this kid? He is D.E.A.D. This kid was a good actor, but he certainly wasn't the BEST actor EVER. Seem like they are just exploiting this kids death for ratings.

Posted by: Ted | Oct 11, 2013 1:44:08 PM

3. @ted -- They needed to kill him off on the show. He was playing an integral (maybe not so much anymore, but in the show's beginning) character.

I think a better question is why is the show still on at all. IMHO, it's way past it's expiration date.

Posted by: mickindetroit | Oct 11, 2013 1:57:30 PM

4. I just love watching all those straight"gay" characters show their sadness for a TV show. Maybe Cory dated Lea just to keep all the gays on set at bay.

Posted by: Ghost | Oct 11, 2013 2:10:18 PM

5. Closure and empathy are necessary things in life. I think this was necessary for the cast and the show's fans. People identified in one way or another with this show and its characters, and mourn.

These comments don't seem to show much in the way of empathy or class. A little bit of heart goes a long way, as does silence.

Posted by: Mattzer | Oct 11, 2013 2:18:36 PM

6. Very heartfelt episode.

The style was in alignment with all of Ryan Murphy's Glee work -- touching, sometimes forced and jarring, IMHO. But I definitely felt the love. I fine goodbye to one of the show's original leads. He'll be missed.

Posted by: Chuy | Oct 11, 2013 2:23:25 PM

7. Thank you, Mattzer!
    A bunch of trolls on parade here. Don't like Glee? Don't watch & don't bother to comment.

Posted by: John P. | Oct 11, 2013 2:23:49 PM

8. @GHOST ... really, this is Ryan Murphy's show -- if you didn't know, he's a gay man.

Posted by: Chuy | Oct 11, 2013 2:24:13 PM

9. This show, to an older generation, may well be a hackneyed, artless talent show. HOWEVER, to the younger generations, it is a message and bringer of hope for the future. The old curmudgeons need to understand and respect it for what it is. There are young people who were deeply touched and hurt that their hero died. He may not have been your hero, but he was a hero and a beacon of hope to countless new LGBTQ children lost in a sea of hate and doubt. It's not all about you and your aesthetic.

Posted by: Richard | Oct 11, 2013 2:25:40 PM

10. well said, Richard. I've never seen a whole episode of Glee, but this show is doing a lot of good for the younger generations.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 11, 2013 2:29:02 PM

11. Call a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE!!!

Posted by: mattsy | Oct 11, 2013 2:34:48 PM

12. The show's ratings are on the downhill overall.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 11, 2013 2:47:01 PM

13. I think the NYT represented my opinion regarding this episode and its value and contribution to pop culture. I never understand the angry, bitter nihilists who comment on this sight.

Posted by: Jon | Oct 11, 2013 2:53:48 PM

14. I basically agree with the positive comments posted. But what I have an issue with is whether the emotions of the cast are real - they are crying about the death of Corey - or are they acting - they are crying about the death of Finn.

For instance, during "Make You Feel My Love," Chris Colfer and Darren Criss hold hands and give a loving look at each other. Well, that's acting as their characters. They are reacting as a couple, not two single actors.

Certainly, it seems that in the final scene, Matthew Morrison is sobbing in character, not as himself. (But maybe not.)

So, that bothered me. If they are reacting honestly, that's great and true. If they had to act their sadness, that fake and morbid.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 11, 2013 2:54:27 PM

15. The tv actor OD'd. He was an addict. He was no hero. I never watched the show, nor knew who this tv guy was until he made a bad choice and now others are mourning AND reaping from his death.

As for the younger generation/older generation thing, get over it. We paved the way for you to have such things and you're wasting it on addicts and tributes to them. If you can only find your beacon of hope in a fake character and not take to the streets demanding the govt recognize a disease that is decimating your loved ones, nor enter a church and demand they stop preaching hatred and death about us, then perhaps you should stop watching tv and crack a few books open and go out and talk to us curmudgeons who have survived through all this. We made it through much tougher situations than facing off whiney self-important entitled twerps such as you.

Posted by: Rocco | Oct 11, 2013 2:56:03 PM

16. What reason was given for Finn's death? I was wondering if it would be close at all to Monteith's death. (Man, I miss the original cast.)

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Oct 11, 2013 2:57:34 PM

17. Everyone needs closure--I'm sure this was helpful to the cast, as well.

I only wish they were allowed so sing "live" on several of these songs. I think Lea Michele's performance would have been stunning if we heard her voice shake a bit. Instead, she's bawling, yet her voice is clear and steady. The same for Amber Riley's performance: the girl can knock it way out--but it was so studio manipulated that I can't watch the video.

The show may be a mess, but I almost always enjoy the music.

Posted by: CMLion | Oct 11, 2013 2:59:26 PM

18. Well.

Having been fascinated by (the phenomena), but never having been a fan of Glee, I find this a rather mind-opening experience. A group of talented, albeit "sit-commed" actors/performers turning in, well, perhaps the performances of their lives. Lee Strasberg would have been proud. Only goes to show that real-life experience, properly taken, can have a positive effect. Corniness aside, I was moved, and impressed. Frankly (and take that you trolls) they KILLED it each performance.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 11, 2013 3:07:16 PM

19. ROCCO - i call your bluff. Your so strong eh? well, it's National Coming Out Day - click "record" on your computer's camera, make a video of supportive empowerment, post it on youtube, and post the URL here.

why am i saying this? because, like i said, I'm calling your bluff. You're not a strong empowered gay man who paved the way for others, you're a miserable troll venting your impotent fury that a show that is helping millions of young people had a tribute episode to an actor on the program who died due to drug addiction.

it's shows like this that get tweens and early-teens confident, secure, and empowered to get Out in the world and defy bigotry and demand change.

or, like i suggested, put your curmudgeonly-self on video, sharing your own personal stories. today. National Coming Out Day. because sure, after all you've claimed to have done and been through, you wont' cop-out and give an excuse not to, right?

right.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 11, 2013 3:10:04 PM

20. I guess that once u make a deal with Hollywood, they can make a pie with ur bones after you die

Posted by: MArk | Oct 11, 2013 3:10:50 PM

21. Rocco, some of us can actually read and also watch television.

Some of us are in our 50s and have fought the good fight, openly and politically. We've marched, we've led floor fights on convention floors, we've lobbied and yet, we still feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when we see an episode of this program where two young gay men become engaged to be married.

That is because we know everything we've worked for over the last 35 years is now culminating.

Glee is and has been an important force for social change in the United States, like it or not.

I had to make the same argument for MTV 20 years ago, and now few dispute that fact either.

Posted by: Jon | Oct 11, 2013 3:10:55 PM

22. @cmilion: Exactly my thought. They have had live performances before. Darren Criss sang "Against All Odds" live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG1Hbjcl8E

They should have done the same thing with all of these performances.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 11, 2013 3:13:23 PM

23. And I kind of liked Finn the best, as he was the most real person on the show. So there.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 11, 2013 3:13:25 PM

24. I liked Finn as an actor but yeah, now the show go off into that sunset too after this season.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 11, 2013 3:22:25 PM

25. Wow. I rarely look at the comments on here anymore and for good reason. Cannot believe what a bunch of horrible comments there are here these days. This episode was amazing! I was shaken by the end; Lea Michelle was heartbreaking. It was a chance for the actors as well as the audience to grieve. WHo cares how or why he died. It's sad and it's a loss to those who knew him and those who loved the character. And it made for an amazing hour of television.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 11, 2013 3:35:14 PM