Bullying | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

GOP Candidate For New Jersey's General Assembly Confronted with Homophobic Past

Campbell

John Campbell Jr., a Republican running for New Jersey's General Assembly representing the 22nd District, has come under fire for his homophobic actions while he was in high school. After he announced his candidacy on social media, he received a less than favorable post from a former classmate, Raphael Eidus, who claims the now twenty-three year old targeted him while they were in high school together because Raphael is bisexual. PolitickerNJ reports:

“Mr. Campbell is a homophobe,” Eidus wrote of the Republican businessman from Plainfield. “I went to high-school with John in Edison NJ (the Wardlaw-Hartridge School). In our senior year I came out of the closet as bisexual. At this point John began harassing me and even led a group of his friends to harass me at every possible chance. He even went out of his way to make sure that I suffered on a daily basis.”

Campbell was captain of the tennis team.

“Before I came out every practice began with a stretch with our coach then the team would jog around the school led by the team captain John,” Eidus claimed. “After I came out, halfway through the jog, John stopped the team for a second stretch so that, out of the eyes of any faculty, he could lead his friends in homophobic taunts and even some minor physical assaults on me. To clarify the physical assaults were throwing tennis balls at me and making comments along the lines of "he likes balls in his face". This is minor and no physical damage was done, only mental.”

Eidus wrote that if he did not go on the team jog, he would be kicked off the team, and claims Campbell made sure that he had to endure the punishment every day simply because he wasn't straight.

“At the time John was 18. Since then multiple of the student[s] who harassed me reached out and apologized, John never did,” Eidus wrote.

When asked to respond to Eidus's allegation, Campbell's response was only to say that he did not remember the incident in question:

“I'm being asked to recall something that happened when I was in high school, seven-eight years ago,” said the Republican candidate. “I don't remember the incident.  As captain of the tennis team, I was expected to exhibit leadership at all times.  If I made anyone feel as if they were less than at any point and didn't step up as a leader, I apologize.”

Asked to comment on the response, Eidus objected to Campbell’s recollection of the time frame, claiming it happened five years ago, but added no further elucidation of the event he alleged occurred.

(Photo via Facebook)

Comments

1. He can't remember bullying someone? It was that insignificant to him? That's his best defense?

Posted by: Gruntled | Oct 31, 2013 7:39:08 AM

2. I can imagine no better way to get back at a bully. Hit them were it hurts. Right? No way to tell whether it's true or not however.

Posted by: AD | Oct 31, 2013 7:46:03 AM

3. Oh, he remembers alright. So we can add confirmed liar to his resume. I swear every republican now turns out to be the absolute scum of the earth.

Posted by: patrick | Oct 31, 2013 7:48:11 AM

4. Man talk about playing the victim. The gay accusing him of bullying needs to get a life.
    I certainly don't want to be held accountable for anything I said in high school.

Posted by: sfjerry | Oct 31, 2013 7:53:13 AM

5. Echoes of Mitt Romney and his bullying past, which he also conveniently claimed not to remember. The thing to do now is to track down some of the other perpetrators, the ones who have apologized, and get them to talk about Campbell's actions.

Plus this doesn't sound like a single "incident," but an ongoing campaign of bullying and harassment. Yet another GOP POS with a very convenient memory loss.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2013 7:54:24 AM

6. I think that kids in high school have enough awareness to know if they are being cruel to others or not, so yes, I certainly do think people should be held accountable for what they do in high school. Youth is not a free pass for bullying, not at all!

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 31, 2013 7:59:03 AM

7. ..I bet he'd have NO problem remembering someone calling him the N word tho 7-8yrs ago.....he's a typical GOP uncle Tom LIAR!

Posted by: disgusted american | Oct 31, 2013 8:03:34 AM

8. I could understand this if the guy was 83 now - sort of - but he's only 23? Some people are just born on the wrong side of history, while others seem to run to the wrong side of history and embrace it.

Posted by: adamth | Oct 31, 2013 8:18:59 AM

9. Typical.

At 18, you are legally allowed to vote. You're no longer a child. Anything you do at that point, you do as a man.

This a**hole has a convenient memory.

Posted by: johny | Oct 31, 2013 8:38:31 AM

10. I was a bully as a kid. Something I'm not proud of but there you go. That was who I was at that time. I remember EVERY incident of bullying that I participated in, and they occurred more than two decades ago. Mittens used the same "I can't remember" excuse when confronted with his homophobic past. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 31, 2013 8:41:30 AM

11. sfjerry: Why? so he must endure the bullying and just shut up.
    No way.

Campbell's answer is pretty bad (he needs to learn a lot if he wants to be a polititian). There are several options, deny the facts, say that it was true but he was stupid back then and apologize, or telling his own version of the events if what Eidus said is not accurate.

Saying that you don't remeber the incident implies that there's a positibility it really happens but or you have really bad memory (5 years is not that much specially if what Eidus said is true and this happened a lot of times) or that you bully too many people in high school to remember a single incident.

And Eidus is right on saying this, if the guy is an homophobe is good to know it before vote.

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 31, 2013 8:44:24 AM

12. This does explain why he's running as a Republican. So typical of the right to be bullies.

And to SFJERRY, I'm sure you don't believe you should be held accountable for anything you did yesterday either.

Posted by: 1♥ | Oct 31, 2013 8:51:16 AM

13. Unsurprisingly, the Republican is a liar as well as a bully. By saying he can't remember being a bully, he is admitting he could have been. I know for a fact that I was never cruel like him when I was younger. Only a conscienceless assh*le would be able to forget such a thing.

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 31, 2013 9:01:37 AM

14. If his memory doesn't extend back as far back as high school then he lacks the mental faculties to hold public office.

Posted by: FakeName | Oct 31, 2013 9:01:57 AM

15. Typical repub non apology bs

Posted by: rick | Oct 31, 2013 9:15:55 AM

16. "Doesn't remember". How convenient. I use that excuse all the time too when I'm trying to deny or get out of a shameful, embarrassing incident from my past. (Rarely works.)

Posted by: Bill | Oct 31, 2013 9:32:25 AM

17. This guy must be a racist. He has to be since anyone who disagrees with President Obama is called that. Yeah. This guy is a just a racist in his accusations.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 31, 2013 9:37:36 AM

18. Oh pile on. His mealy-mouthed 'I can't remember verbally and physically assaulting this kid...' make me loathe this idiot.

Good for this man to stand up to this bully and abuser. He belongs in rehab not public office.

Posted by: shamshamehshame | Oct 31, 2013 9:38:09 AM

19. John Campbell is a pig.

Posted by: Critifur | Oct 31, 2013 9:43:37 AM

20. Perry:; If you are not a 5 year old you must try harder, because that level of demagogy is simply childish

Posted by: jjose712 | Oct 31, 2013 10:25:53 AM

21. Perhaps is (well past) time we paid a visit to his Facebook page

Posted by: JT | Oct 31, 2013 10:45:15 AM

22. It still shocks me that African American's WANT to be Republicans...

Posted by: Jumper | Oct 31, 2013 10:52:49 AM

23. Oh, how I just LOVE Selective Amnesia!

Posted by: Swoon | Oct 31, 2013 11:03:04 AM

24. It is about as childish when opponents of Obama are called racist for disagreeing with his policies. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 31, 2013 11:03:43 AM

25. He's a Republican - of COURSE he is a homophobic bully.

Posted by: MaryM | Oct 31, 2013 11:21:37 AM