Chris Christie | Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

NJ Governor Chris Christie: I'd Tell My Gay Child They Shouldn't Have the Right to Marry

Just last week, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Barbara Buono took sitting governor Chris Christie to task on his same-sex marriage views. Yesterday the subject was broached again, this time in the second and final debate between the two candidates. Christie took on Buono's personalization of gay rights (her daughter is openly gay), applying it to his own family. The results were mixed.

ChrischristiePolitico reports

Republican Gov. Chris Christie said Tuesday that if one of his four children came out as gay, he would “grab them and hug them and tell them I love them.

”He would also tell them “that Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman,” he said.

...

“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said. He said he would respect voters if they approved gay marriage, but said the decision does not belong to the courts or the legislature.

Governor Christie's new statement seemed aimed at displaying his human and emotional side while maintaining the conservative values he has upheld repeatedly around this topic. It did not, however, seem to take into account how a child may actually feel should their parents not support them or their desire to marry.

Will this debate impact Christie's campaign? A recent Monmouth University poll places Christie ahead of Buono by 24 points. The chances are looking slim, but perhaps we will see some shift.

Comments

1. I'm on your side, but that Gawker-like headline isn't really truthful or accurate, and you know it. Why not just state the facts?

Posted by: Don | Oct 16, 2013 3:21:17 PM

2. And I'd say, I don't love you back, Dad.

Posted by: kpo5 | Oct 16, 2013 3:21:25 PM

3. And I'd say, I don't love you back, Dad.

Posted by: kpo5 | Oct 16, 2013 3:21:29 PM

4. Bigotry and discrimination against gay folks is NOT "differences of opinion".

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Oct 16, 2013 3:22:19 PM

5. civil rights are not an issue for popular votes.

Posted by: crashops | Oct 16, 2013 3:24:35 PM

6. His kids are either exactly like him or they can't wait to get away from him.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 16, 2013 3:25:39 PM

7. Bottom line is, while 60% of New Jersey voters say they support marriage equality, they don't support it enough to actually do anything meaningful about it. Feel the love....

Posted by: Keppler | Oct 16, 2013 3:26:39 PM

8. and overeating is fine.

Posted by: S. | Oct 16, 2013 3:27:23 PM

9. Loving caring father?

Posted by: Matt27 | Oct 16, 2013 3:29:50 PM

10. Children always have to have their way. But only if they've been raised by brainwashed liberals.

Posted by: MD | Oct 16, 2013 3:43:07 PM

11. If his kid looked anything like him I doubt he could find a boyfriend, much less a marriage partner.

Posted by: wuddawudda | Oct 16, 2013 3:45:12 PM

12. I just love family values. Don't you?

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Oct 16, 2013 3:46:22 PM

13. It baffles me how he continues to play so well in N.J.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 16, 2013 3:46:45 PM

14. Stop making fun of weight challenged lesbians. They do pretty well in the marriage and children department.

Posted by: LT | Oct 16, 2013 3:47:24 PM

15. Stop making fun of weight challenged lesbians. They do pretty well in the marriage and children department.

Posted by: LT | Oct 16, 2013 3:47:24 PM

16. Given that equal marriage is inevitable in NJ in the not too distant future, regardless of who the governor is, I would support Christie. He has a good track record on propping up the economy reducing unemployment.
    Also despite his opposition to gay marriage, he has supported the gay community in other areas like banning reparative therapy, so I do not think you can just classify him as a homophobe like other in the Republican party.

Posted by: Martin | Oct 16, 2013 3:49:13 PM

17. So civil rights should be left to the voters? That worked so well here in the south, there was certainly no need for the courts or legislatures to be involved. Oh, wait...

Posted by: rjinva | Oct 16, 2013 4:23:38 PM

18. Heaven help us from the voters. Make sure not to vote in the next election either. We only vote when we win, otherwise we could give a rat's ass what the voters think.

Posted by: MB | Oct 16, 2013 4:27:31 PM

19. Human rights are not a voter's issue. They're not a choice. Being fat or thin is kind of a choice. Christy should concentrate on the obvious choices, and leave his kids out of it. What a loser.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 16, 2013 4:45:17 PM

20. That's exactly how Rick Santorum answered the same question. Christie is morphing into Rick Santorum on social issues. That can't be good for his future aspirations.

Posted by: woody | Oct 16, 2013 4:57:02 PM

21. Completely wrong Christie. Love is unconditional and love is what a descent parent feels for his son and daughters. Human rights are not a popularity contest.

Posted by: Jay | Oct 16, 2013 5:03:02 PM

22. Choose one of the following:

A)"You're my child and I love you, but I don't believe you should have the same chance at happiness that your mother and I had."

B)"You're my child and I love you, but I don't think your emotions are as valid as mine."

C) "You're my child and I love you, but I'd rather you live in sin than be married."j

D) "You're my child and I love you, but I think your mother and I deserve 1,200 laws that serve to support and protect our relationship, and you and your 'partner' don't."

E) All of the above.

Posted by: Clayton | Oct 16, 2013 5:14:41 PM

23. I feel bad for New Jersey having this homophobic asshat as their Governor. The GOP brand is dead in the water anyway. Especially after this govmnt shutdown. Good luck in 2016, Christie. Hillary will be wiping the floor with your ass.

Posted by: Papa | Oct 16, 2013 5:25:01 PM

24. And his self-respecting gay kid will pull out of that sweaty pig hug and say, FU, Dad.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 16, 2013 5:32:26 PM

25. I did the exact same thing that Mr. Christie said he'd do, and my youngest son committed suicide. On the upside, funerals are cheaper than weddings.

Posted by: Rick Warren | Oct 16, 2013 5:45:14 PM