NJ Governor Chris Christie: I’d Tell My Gay Child They Shouldn’t Have the Right to Marry

Just last week, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Barbara Buono took sitting governor Chris Christie to task on his same-sex marriage views. Yesterday the subject was broached again, this time in the second and final debate between the two candidates. Christie took on Buono's personalization of gay rights (her daughter is openly gay), applying it to his own family. The results were mixed.

ChrischristiePolitico reports

Republican Gov. Chris Christie said Tuesday that if one of his four children came out as gay, he would “grab them and hug them and tell them I love them.

”He would also tell them “that Dad believes that marriage is between one man and one woman,” he said.

“My children understand that there are going to be differences of opinion in our house and in houses all across this state and across this country,” Christie said. He said he would respect voters if they approved gay marriage, but said the decision does not belong to the courts or the legislature.

Governor Christie's new statement seemed aimed at displaying his human and emotional side while maintaining the conservative values he has upheld repeatedly around this topic. It did not, however, seem to take into account how a child may actually feel should their parents not support them or their desire to marry.

Will this debate impact Christie's campaign? A recent Monmouth University poll places Christie ahead of Buono by 24 points. The chances are looking slim, but perhaps we will see some shift.

Comments

1. Keppler says

Bottom line is, while 60% of New Jersey voters say they support marriage equality, they don’t support it enough to actually do anything meaningful about it. Feel the love….

2. Martin says

Given that equal marriage is inevitable in NJ in the not too distant future, regardless of who the governor is, I would support Christie. He has a good track record on propping up the economy reducing unemployment.
    Also despite his opposition to gay marriage, he has supported the gay community in other areas like banning reparative therapy, so I do not think you can just classify him as a homophobe like other in the Republican party.

3. rjinva says

So civil rights should be left to the voters? That worked so well here in the south, there was certainly no need for the courts or legislatures to be involved. Oh, wait…

4. MB says

Heaven help us from the voters. Make sure not to vote in the next election either. We only vote when we win, otherwise we could give a rat’s ass what the voters think.

5. tinkerbelle says

Human rights are not a voter’s issue. They’re not a choice. Being fat or thin is kind of a choice. Christy should concentrate on the obvious choices, and leave his kids out of it. What a loser.

6. woody says

That’s exactly how Rick Santorum answered the same question. Christie is morphing into Rick Santorum on social issues. That can’t be good for his future aspirations.

7. Jay says

Completely wrong Christie. Love is unconditional and love is what a descent parent feels for his son and daughters. Human rights are not a popularity contest.

8. Clayton says

Choose one of the following:

A)”You’re my child and I love you, but I don’t believe you should have the same chance at happiness that your mother and I had.”

B)”You’re my child and I love you, but I don’t think your emotions are as valid as mine.”

C) “You’re my child and I love you, but I’d rather you live in sin than be married.”j

D) “You’re my child and I love you, but I think your mother and I deserve 1,200 laws that serve to support and protect our relationship, and you and your ‘partner’ don’t.”

E) All of the above.

9. Papa says

I feel bad for New Jersey having this homophobic asshat as their Governor. The GOP brand is dead in the water anyway. Especially after this govmnt shutdown. Good luck in 2016, Christie. Hillary will be wiping the floor with your ass.

10. Rick Warren says

I did the exact same thing that Mr. Christie said he’d do, and my youngest son committed suicide. On the upside, funerals are cheaper than weddings.

11. Craig says

He has to say that to have any chance at getting the GOP prez nomination. Remember Obama was anti-marriage equality at one point. No worries, the GOP has destroyed any chance at the presidency the past two weeks.

12. joel says

Yea, I love you but don’t think you should have he same rights as your siblings because you see your gay and therefore less worthy of the automatic rights of normal people.
    Disgusting that he thinks that his statement in some way would humanize his bigoted stance.

13. Paul B. says

Sorry, but a man that can’t even see his own penis without a mirror the size of mars …has nothing to say about anyone else’s preferences, orientations, addictions, appearance or rights. I just don’t understand how anyone with so many obviously “big” problems, can judge anyone else about anything at all. Personally, I love big folks…but he’s just plain disgusting.

14. paul says

another example of how Christie is NOT a moderate. He is doing a really good job at messaging this meanwhile his stand on gun reform, economics as well as many other things are as disgustingly parochial and retrenched as the rest of the GOP. He is slightly right of Attila the Hun in many respects.

15. Bill says

Which is why Christie leaves little to be desired on a national level. We’re done with politicians who can baldly say, “You, my tax paying American constituents will never be treated in exactly the same way as these other constituents over here.” Plus, America will never elect a 300 lb. President. Sorry Chris, won’t happen.

16. Bill says

17. dam846201 says

I’ve decided I want to vote on Christie’s RIGHT to be “morbidly obese.” I mean, I was born gay & he wants the public to vote on my right to marry. I want to take a vote on his looks; they’re displeasing to me.