Gay Marriage | News | Oregon

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Oregon Couple's Story of 42 Years of Love Will Touch Your Soul: VIDEO

Oregon

Do Ed and Warren deserve to be married? Of course they do. But the state of Oregon does not think so...not yet, anyway.

In an incredibly touching video from Oregon United for Marriage, Ed and Warren take us through four decades of their relationship since they got together at the University of Oregon, bought their first home at age 24, and came to the place they are today.

Says Warren:

"I think I'd almost curl up in a ball and just wait to die if something happened to Warren. We love each other in Oregon. We met in Oregon. We've lived our lives together in Oregon. It's time for us at age 64 to be married after 42 years. It's time to make that leap of... Young people need to know that you can live for 42 years with another person and still be crazily in love. We want to be able to get married....It's time."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

4_oregon

Comments

1. Awesome...that is all.

Posted by: Willbesurfing | Oct 26, 2013 11:54:02 AM

2. Wonderfully touching and compelling. There's nothing like love...even to the most cynical, jaded, old queen like myself. I hope they're able to marry soon. (*Sniff*)

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 26, 2013 12:02:30 PM

3. Love. Show this video to the hate groups.

Posted by: Matt27 | Oct 26, 2013 12:08:30 PM

4. Beautiful.

Posted by: UrbanMike | Oct 26, 2013 12:09:55 PM

5. This is a wonderful story, genune and touching. But the extreme close-ups are a nearly ruinous distraction. No one gets that close up when they're talking to someone. It would be extremely offensive if they did. It's the personality and the story itself that needs to be conveyed, not the crow's foot valleys or the yellow tooth cliffs of advancing years. Ultimately, what we look like means almost nothing compared to who we are.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 26, 2013 12:11:53 PM

6. I don't see how anyone could watch that video and not tear up, beautiful.

Posted by: jsb | Oct 26, 2013 12:13:26 PM

7. Why a fricken lap dog? If I move to Oregon and I'm surrounded by bigots, I'd get two things: A gun and a Rottweiler or Doberman.

Posted by: QUE NO | Oct 26, 2013 12:14:13 PM

8. This is exactly the kind of support video that would have made a big difference when the Prop 8 campaign was being waged in CA. It'll turn more than a few heads around, and melt more than a few hearts. Bravo!

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 26, 2013 12:16:04 PM

9. Oregon, it's time. America, it's time. This is just beautiful.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Oct 26, 2013 12:18:50 PM

10. I can really relate to this because my partner and I are the same age as this couple and have also been together for 42 years. There are a lot of good times and hard times as well and we've gotten through all of them together. We're in Illinois and don't have the freedom to marry. Hopefully, it will come to Illinois soon, or we're leaving. As the saying goes, we're not getting any younger.
    As for showing this to the bigots, I don't think it would help. They have no capacity for love or compassion. It should, however, influence those reasonable people who have never thought about the issue.

Posted by: Rich | Oct 26, 2013 12:23:36 PM

11. Rock on Guys.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 26, 2013 12:30:14 PM

12. GREAT! Fantastic easy going couple. Hope that Basic Rights Oregon uses this their tv advertisements. Think that EVEN straight people would understand this love and identify with them . . .

Posted by: Mike | Oct 26, 2013 12:54:03 PM

13. @UFFDA, well you username describes your attitude

Wouldn't be Towleroad without some troll shitting on a sentimental story with some dumbass comment

Posted by: QJ201 | Oct 26, 2013 1:11:15 PM

14. As an Oregonian I too believe we should have full marriage equality here and that it will happen very soon.

It should be noted that Oregon extends almost all the same rights to domestic partnerships including joint tax filing. In the past week it was announced that Oregon will now recognize same sex marriages performed out of state. My husband & I were married last year in New York and then filed for DP here at home.

There is no compelling state interest to deny married status to same sex couples in Oregon and that will be made clear by a federal court soon enough if voters do not change the state constitution in 2014.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Oct 26, 2013 1:32:55 PM

15. Great video! I hope they run this ad in upcoming initiative to repeal the ban on same-sex marriage. As an Oregonian, I do find it ironic that Basic Rights Oregon sponsored it. They have a terrible track record spending a lot of money on it's overpaid managers with very little result. The campaign that put the ban in the state constitution was especially poorly run by BRO. They had twice the war chest but only ran 1/3 the ads of the opposition. Those ads also said nothing about the actual campaign. BRO also does a thorough job in jealously tearing down other organizations in the LGBT community working toward the same goals. While Washington state next door was working to successfully pass marriage equality, BRO sat on its hands being "cautious". We have lawsuits that are making their way through the courts that may make the repeal moot and bring about quality faster. Lawsuits that BRO opposed, saying it was "too soon". I'm very, very wary of BRO and many in Oregon feel the same way.

Posted by: A Wary Oregonian | Oct 26, 2013 3:43:33 PM

16. this is almost worth putting up with all the caca, glambert and shitney posts. almost.

more please. and THANK YOU.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Oct 26, 2013 9:38:48 PM

17. (Damn, this blog needs a reply feature like every other blog)

QJ201: I don't think UFFDA meant to be as negative as you thought. The continual super closeup style is indeed a poor choice.

Oh, and Que, they had a bigger dog. Now they have a lovely small one. In their area of Oregon they are no doubt not surrounded by bigots but by Portlandia. Like a lot of states, they live mainly in the sticks and certain certain culturally behind areas.

Most people don't want a mistreated dog with a spikey collar snarling in the front yard collar and straining at the end of a big chain.

Posted by: emjayay | Oct 27, 2013 12:17:33 AM

18. Sweet, sweet couple. Hope they get their wish.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 27, 2013 4:19:04 AM

19. Great, great story.

Posted by: Raul | Oct 27, 2013 11:06:52 AM

20. Crazy sweet! They sure have my admiration.

And people get old. We get wrinkly. Get over it my young brothers!

Posted by: JT | Oct 28, 2013 7:39:17 AM

21. Just beautiful.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Oct 28, 2013 1:25:20 PM

22. Beautiful, as an old fart Stonewall era couple for 37 years, now in our sixty's ourselves, we have to say "IT'S TIME". We've been together thru sickness, organ transplant, parents deaths, 7 different homes, several pets and much more. Most of the straight couples we know have been divorced and remarried. They ask what our secret is. We tell them what I'll tell the haters. It's about love, simple easy to understand (not easy to find) love.
    It's love get over it.