Alec Baldwin | Andrew Sullivan | GLAAD | News

BigGayDeal.com

Alec Baldwin Blasts 'Fundamentalist Wing of Gay Advocacy', GLAAD and Andrew Sullivan, for His Firing

Alec Baldwin spoke with Gothamist yesterday about his firing from MSNBC and the report in the Post which broke the news.

BaldwinSaid Baldwin:

"There's nothing you can do when you get thrown in this washing machine, nothing. You know? Nothing. All you end up doing is just defending yourself all day long....Martin Bashir's on the air, and he made his comment on the air! I dispute half the comment I made... if I called him 'c--ksucking maggot' or a 'c--ksucking motherf--ker'... 'faggot' is not the word that came out of my mouth. That I know. But you've got the fundamentalist wing of gay advocacy—[GLAAD's] Rich Ferraro and Andrew Sullivan—they're out there, they've got you. Rich Ferraro, this is probably one of his greatest triumphs. They killed my show. And I have to take some responsibility for that myself."

GLAAD's Ferraro responded with a statement to Towleroad via email:

"I consider GLAAD's campaigns to end the Boy Scout of America's ban on gay scouts, raise national visibility of the violence and inequality facing transgender people, and battling for marriage equality to be among my 'greatest triumphs.' But if a teacher, coach, local radio show host, or parent realizes that anti-LGBT slurs are outdated and unacceptable because of this Baldwin issue, I guess we'll call it a win. Alec Baldwin's team has not been open to turning this incident into an opportunity for public education and that's unfortunate."

Comments

1. Alec Baldwin is clearly an angry, and very stupid bigot.

Does he not accept that with his on-the-record list of verbal abuse against his (at the time) pre-teen daughter; and his history of angry assault and homophobic slurs against journalists, then of course he is going to be watched.

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 27, 2013 9:57:13 AM

2. Hahahaha!!

Posted by: Phil | Nov 27, 2013 9:59:15 AM

3. Alc Balwin is working in Hawaii on Cameron Crowe's new movie.

I think he should be fired from that movie as well.

His homophobia and violent behaviour makes his a danger to the people he works with.

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 27, 2013 10:01:51 AM

4. It's pretty amazing how certain media blows things out of proportion and pits people against people. Yes, he has anger management issues but now this whole incident will create more antigay bigotry, and for what?

Posted by: Junior | Nov 27, 2013 10:03:31 AM

5. The firing of the bigot Baldwin will not create more anti-gay bigtry.

It simply means than Alec Baldwin - the violent homophobe - has been sacked for his violent homophobia.

I believe in giving people 2nd chances.

But this violent bigot is on what - his 20th chance.

Alec Baldwin needs to retire.

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 27, 2013 10:07:18 AM

6. He just doesn't get it, does he?

Posted by: Clayton | Nov 27, 2013 10:14:44 AM

7. no, he doesn't get it. and, he doesn't have to - he has more money than god, so it really doesn't matter to him, or anyone else around him, as long as the bills are paid.

you have to care about more than yourself to realize a) you have an anger problem, and b) it's never right to call people names, even when yelling in an angry fit.

Posted by: northalabama | Nov 27, 2013 10:30:19 AM

8. So sad to see someone fall apart like this, but he brought it on himself. I can't look at his face anymore.

Posted by: Adam | Nov 27, 2013 10:38:59 AM

9. As his career implodes in the U.S., I'm sure Putin would give him honorary citizenship in Russia.

Posted by: keating | Nov 27, 2013 10:41:53 AM

10. Oh ya, there's a right wing fundamentalist aspect of the gays alright. They post here all the time. Gays are always innocent, always right, always above criticism, and always self-righteous. In fact they just might ruin our progress. And I'm not Rick.

Sorry you lost your job Alec. You've got a big, undisciplined mouth (sort of like Charlie Sheen) but many of us know you're not any kind of enemy to gay people.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 27, 2013 10:42:00 AM

11. Only he can know what he really said, but even if it was - and no I can't quite believe it - clocksucking maggot or something like that - he's got to be held responsible for being really stupid. On the other hand, maybe maggots have been really good at something pleasurable all this time, and we should give them a 2nd chance, too!

Sorry, Alec, you're a tool. Blaming others for your reflex-homophobia, or if you insist - abject stupidity of phraseology, is just plain lame. Oh, and your show was boring and was bound to be cancelled soon anyway.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 27, 2013 10:45:47 AM

12. B

Baldwin has a long history of homophobia. He delighted in playing the gay pedophile Boy Scout leader on Saturday Night Live for years. Now those homophobic chickens are coming home to roost. This hypocritical liberal is no "ally".

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 27, 2013 10:49:37 AM

13. When his latest outburst hit the news I said we were witnessing a full on "Charlie Sheen" and I feel vindicated!

His show really sucked if you ever found yourself with nothing to do on a Friday night. I must have been guilty of this once because i saw it and it was dreck.

MSNBC should have sentenced him to six more months of hosting it as punishment. Run along now angry man.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Nov 27, 2013 10:52:39 AM

14. Keep digging that hole, Alec. Pretty soon, you won't be the "spokesperson" for Capital One and your only allies will be the "tea party" adherents.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Nov 27, 2013 11:01:00 AM

15. Stop it with Alec Baldwin.

Posted by: ZWEEGAS | Nov 27, 2013 11:02:37 AM

16. Full speed ahead Alec, prove your critics right.

Posted by: adamth | Nov 27, 2013 11:13:19 AM

17. Lets not get carried away here, GLAAD is a useless org that isn't as capable as anyone here is making it out to be. It's not even a loud failure. And Alec isn't a bigot, he is clearly, CLEARLY, a MORON.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 27, 2013 11:13:39 AM

18. I am a gay male and I am so tired of the self righteous gay police he said something out of frustration with the paparazzi get over your never do wrong selves

Posted by: Steve | Nov 27, 2013 11:17:55 AM

19. Poor guy. I'm ashamed about this as a gay man, i believe there are more important things to fight for than getting a decent guy fired from his job. SO fckng what if he's an angry guy??? who the F cares??? Gladd and hrc are money grabbers that don't really care for the core of the gay community....half of you wouldn't be invited to one of their events...so homos get over yourselves!!! sorry alec.

Posted by: Bosie | Nov 27, 2013 11:19:30 AM

20. Baldwin did everything wrong from a public relations perspective once the story broke. He's his own worst enemy.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 27, 2013 11:23:58 AM

21. He is in denial about his anger management problem, and will blame everyone but himself.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 27, 2013 11:45:54 AM

22. @MARYM Sit the f*ck down and shut the f*ck up. You don't no sh*t about nothing. Alec Baldwin has anger issues, maybe, and his choice of words were imprudent to say the least, but a violent bigot? I doubt it. You try leaving your apartment like a normal human being and have a face full of photographers, one in particular who has been a thorn in your side forever, and see whether or not YOU explode in a rage. The price of celebrity is high but sometimes some of those c*cks*cking f*g photographers need to be called out for their harassment and unnecessary invasions of privacy. It's a shame Mr. Baldwin couldn't control his temper but from what I know about the photographer, he IS a c*cks*cking f*g and a major, first-class @$$hole to boot.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 27, 2013 11:46:32 AM

23. Honestly, I am also tired of GLAAD having the final word on who gets to say what, and their public reeducation campaigns. Not because I don't think people need to get called out for hate speech, but because I think GLAAD has made a BUSINESS out of this. They are often not fighting the real enemy, and instead wasting time on this American obsession with rehab for people who offend our sensibilities. I want to see the culture change, not just see people go to a whole bunch of GLAAD orchestrated events to redeem their public image and fill the pockets of whoever is currently on staff at that organization.

Posted by: mike128 | Nov 27, 2013 12:18:23 PM

24. Gay people should do a better of job of knowing who their enemies are. Alec Baldwin is not an enemy of gay people. He's been a fighter for liberal causes for years, and he reminded the world not to vote for Christine Quinn in part because she blocked assistance for people with AIDS. The one thing he's guilt of is using a schoolyard taunt. Given how much support is on his resume, I can forgive it.

Also, SNL's "Canteen Boy" sketch was hilarious.

Posted by: DrunkEnough | Nov 27, 2013 12:33:50 PM

25. AB is right that he's a victim of what amounts to opportunistic negative PR, but what he fails to account for is the fact he's a great beneficiary of the media spotlight, probably far more than he's suffered from. What's he's trying to claim is that he should not suffer any loss via the media, and only accumulate benefits, but this is ridiculous.

Posted by: anon | Nov 27, 2013 1:09:58 PM