Gareth Thomas | James Haskell | Rugby | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

British Rugby Stars Gareth Thomas and James Haskell Talk Sochi Olympics, Gays in Sports: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 4.46.50 PM

Gareth Thomas, the first openly gay international rugby player, and James Haskell, London Wasps flanker and LGBT ally, both stopped by Sportslobster TV to discuss among other things the upcoming Sochi Olympics and the wider issue of the lack of openly gay professional athletes. Best Movies Ever reports:

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 4.57.08 PMWhen asked what his thoughts were on the questions raised about upcoming sporting events planned for countries where there are laws in place against homosexuality, such as the 2014 Russian Winter Olympics and 2022 Qatar World Cup, Thomas gave strong views: "If I was part of a squad going to these countries - I would go there as a gay man and be the best at what I was doing and prove that their laws can not stop me at being the best I can be in sport. Athletes can't have the power to make decisions as to whether to compete in countries where they tolerate homosexuality. They often only have one chance to be the best and they have worked so hard to get there that nothing should hold them back."

England and Wasps flanker, Haskell, supports these views and claims many rugby players are hiding their sexuality due to perceived stigma: "Statistically there must be gay rugby players out there but I don't know of a single one. I feel bad anyone struggles to be true to who they are, as no one should have to live a lie."

"With Gareth - being gay was just a side story, as he was just a brilliant rugby player first and foremost. I don't think most in rugby could care less whether a teammate was gay - but there are definitely boundaries where some who you call friends and teammates may look at you a different way if you come out. The fact a rugby player may say they prefer men to women does not mean it should have any relevance in sport. Certainly in rugby it is becoming more acceptable but, regardless of what people may say, there will always be preconceptions and stereotypes in the sport."

Check out a video of the two discussing gay players as well as Thomas's upcoming biopic starring Mickey Rourke AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. There's not a CGI budget big enough to make Rourke look like Gareth.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Nov 8, 2013 7:50:12 PM

2. Maybe Haskell should tell us about his same-sex experiences first...

Posted by: litper | Nov 8, 2013 7:53:44 PM

3. That said, I love how handsy those two guys are with each other!

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Nov 8, 2013 7:53:48 PM

4. Neither Gareth nor James have the true interests of gay people at heart. If they did, they would talk about the horrible effect the laws are having on Russia's gays, and not how important it is for the athletes to be at Sochi.

The athletes will be pampered in Sochi. In the streets of St Petersburg, a gay will be murdered.

Posted by: jimbryant | Nov 8, 2013 8:46:17 PM

5. I won't watch any of the 2014 Hate Olympics in Sochi.

Posted by: Tom | Nov 8, 2013 9:54:26 PM

6. The truly unfortunate thing is that when all the idiots of the.world think of gay men this is not what they.see..
    but the reality is most men dont need to advertise their sexuality choice with hair and makeup

Posted by: Grant | Nov 8, 2013 10:17:59 PM

7. Gareth does look weathered and I love how the straight guys calls him out for being a "bitchy queen". I thought Gareth was supposed to be a rugged athlete. Not!

Posted by: TruthSerum | Nov 9, 2013 1:06:16 AM

8. Andy and team, auto-play audio ads are not cool. Find a way to stop them or you'll lose readers.

Posted by: Markles | Nov 9, 2013 2:02:14 AM

9. I'm so looking forward with baited-breath in watch the Sochi Olympics with out and proud Johnny Weir commentating and Thomas Roberts investigative reporting.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 9, 2013 3:23:26 AM

10. Handsome, real men.

Posted by: Matt27 | Nov 9, 2013 3:29:43 AM

11. Grant the only bitchy queen here is you

Posted by: litper | Nov 9, 2013 3:46:34 AM

12. English guys are hottt.

Posted by: tony | Nov 9, 2013 10:47:21 AM

13. James Haskell has a big thick one, if my Dieux du Stade memories are correct.

Posted by: bravo | Nov 9, 2013 5:52:52 PM

14. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx9bph_james-haskell-dieux-du-stade-2010-hq_redband

check it out

Posted by: DMiner | Nov 10, 2013 3:08:46 PM

15. "Statistically there must be gay rugby players out there but I don't know of a single one"

Statistically the rugby players have not the same mental and hormonal structure than ballet dancers and interior designers. I see rugby is one of the most masculine thing men can do, this is why this question has come into my mind to search. Man-eater fighters might rarely like to smoodge other man-eaters, I suspected. So actually I see my suspicion confirmed.

Posted by: Gyula | Jan 8, 2014 10:52:09 AM