College | Football | Gay Slurs | Michigan | News

BigGayDeal.com

Eastern Michigan University Football Coach Regretful After Being Fired For Rant, Gay Slur: LISTEN

Ronenglishfired

Ron English, the now-former Eastern Michigan University football coach, has expressed regret over a furious tirade against his team that took place in October and included a gay slur, among other expletives. The blow-up was recorded (likely by one of the team members) and sent to school officials who confirmed its authenticity. They also verified that the rant was among the reasons for English's dismissal.

The Detroit News reports:

“I received a tape of a situation in which Coach English had addressed the team and used wholly inappropriate language,” Eastern athletic director Heather Lyke said in the statement Saturday.

“We hold our coaches and staff to high standards of professionalism and conduct and there is no place, particularly in a student environment, where the language is appropriate. The statements made by Coach English are absolutely unacceptable. My decision to make a change in leadership of our football program was the culmination of a lot of factors including the comprehensive review of our program, the competitive performance and this tape.

In an interview with the AP, English seemed particularly regretful about his usage of the gay slur, and he hoped that this incident would not impede the continuation of his career elsewhere.

The Journal Gazette reports on that interview:

“As a man who has coached 21 years, obviously, on this occasion and particular meeting, I lost my poise, got upset and used language that was inappropriate, particularly as it pertains to homosexual slurs. I regret that,” English told the AP in a telephone interview Saturday, hours after the school released a statement explaining why he was fired the previous day.

“I apologize to the university for putting it in this position and tarnishing its reputation. I look forward to continuing a career that has been marked by molding men of integrity, passion, and intensity for 21 years.”

Listen to the (censored) outburst, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Translation: “I regret that [the outburst was recorded and my employment was terminated].”

Posted by: JCTSF | Nov 12, 2013 12:36:03 PM

2. Read: "I'm only sorry I got fired from my job and not what I said".

Posted by: Sam | Nov 12, 2013 12:40:50 PM

3. Bigots are pathetic people.

Posted by: Nick | Nov 12, 2013 1:01:49 PM

4. And we are to believe that this was the only such bigoted tirade in 21 years ?

Oh Ron, you have us rolling in the aisles.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 12, 2013 1:30:40 PM

5. Knowing nothing of the mans past why would we not take his apology seriously?

We've all said things we regret.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 12, 2013 1:35:27 PM

6. Derrick, paging Derrick for the defense.

Posted by: endorita | Nov 12, 2013 2:06:41 PM

7. “I apologize to the university for putting it in this position and tarnishing its reputation."
    - I apologize to the university, but not the LGBT community, 'cause, well, they don't pay my bills so I don't pay them no mind.

Posted by: GuyOnYourRight | Nov 12, 2013 2:18:20 PM

8. Regretful I got caught.

Posted by: JEFF YORK | Nov 12, 2013 2:41:08 PM

9. @ "Derrick, paging Derrick for the defense."

Oh, please, I didn't even listen to the tape....ain't interested.

Now if he spoke about stank b.tches who change their posting names on Towleroad every few weeks--then I might have listened.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 12, 2013 2:51:37 PM

10. I'm with Brian, we've all said stupid things. This shouldn't cost him his livelihood, I hope he gets another chance and that he has learned from his mistakes.

Posted by: Andrea | Nov 12, 2013 3:55:46 PM

11. Mr. English certainly speaks my language. Everyone knows the f word is an insult to one's masculinity. And insults to one's masculinity is a great way to incite within someone a rage necessary to be the top man he can be.

Posted by: Asam | Nov 12, 2013 4:42:41 PM

12. ASS-AM;

My husband makes a great Top Man, and he is the sweetest, kindest man I ever met.

So, care to refrain your pablum! troll?

Posted by: bear | Nov 12, 2013 5:10:16 PM

13. Either there's something wrong with my computer, or that 'rant' was comepletely unintellible to everyone else. This is one of those times when an accompanying transcript would have been useful. On the other hand, a pep talk from a coach to a lockerroom full of jocks would be completely wasted on me.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 12, 2013 5:42:12 PM

14. Apparently gays never do this....hypocrites!

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 13, 2013 9:36:47 AM