Gay Marriage | Hawaii | News

Hawaii House Advances Marriage Equality Bill 30-18; Final Vote on Friday: VIDEO

Hawaii

After hours of debate and at times deafening disruption from a group of anti-gay protesters outside the chamber, the Hawaii House advanced the marriage equality bill on a second reading to a third and final vote on Friday. The vote was 30-18 with 3 members excused, KITV reports:

"If it passes the House, the bill will have to be approved by the state Senate because of three amendments. The vote came after several rejected attempts to modify and change the bill, plus smaller votes that revealed support to move along the measure. House lawmakers took turns giving testimony that ranged from sarcastic to emotional."

One surprise in the vote came from Rep. Jo Jordan, a lesbian, who voted against her own rights:

One lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Jo Jordan of Waianae, said on the floor that she would oppose the bill — despite her thoughts and beliefs and gay marriage potentially benefiting her personally.

"No, nobody's going to beat me up. Nobody's going to throw me out of my (LGBT) community — I'm not quite sure of that," Jordan said.

But Jordan said she set aside her beliefs when she listened to five days of testimony during a joint committee hearing and listened with an open heart. Much of spoken public testimony during the hearing came in opposition to the bill.

Watch a report from KITV, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_hawaii

Earlier:

Comments

1. The House has surfed over the slime of Bigot Bay and made a sunstruck beach head above the gnashing sharks who suck as the tide goes out.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 7, 2013 7:34:28 AM

2. Haven't seen a roll call to confirm that she followed through on it but, when I was following the live tweeting of the Honolulu paper on the proceedings, openly lesbian House member Jo Jordan vowed to vote against the bill (meaning that she would be voting along colleagues who stated last night that the bill needed to be passed in order to "inoculate" children from being taught about homosexuality) as she said she needed more time to speak with her constituents. She received applause for her remarks. Pretty disgusting. http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/memberpage.aspx?member=jordan&year=2013

Posted by: Patric | Nov 7, 2013 7:42:09 AM

3. Hey black lady holding that sign.."Let the people vote"......How about WE ALL VOTE on YOUR RIGHTS????

Posted by: disgusted american | Nov 7, 2013 7:45:29 AM

4. Well, the world is full of Uncle Toms. I hope she receive what she deserves

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 7, 2013 7:53:19 AM

5. "Let the people decide." They DID decide, when they elected their Legislature. I am saddened that people are really that willfully ignorant of how representative democracy works.

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Nov 7, 2013 7:56:31 AM

6. @jjose712 - The word you want is "quisling."

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Nov 7, 2013 7:57:25 AM

7. For the life of me, I cannot understand what Jo Jordan was thinking. And just because she's willing to throw her own rights under the bus doesn't mean she should do that to others. It's like when Elton John or Rupert Everett said because they don't want to get married, gay marriage isn't important.

When will people understand that human rights should never be put to a vote? Hawaii isn't so much governed by the Aloha spirit right now.

Posted by: Larry | Nov 7, 2013 8:03:50 AM

8. "Let the People Vote", Ummm, NO!

Posted by: mymy | Nov 7, 2013 8:03:51 AM

9. Hey Jo, if your constituents wanted to pass a law to imprison all LGBT people would you listen to them then? Kapo!

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 7, 2013 8:09:10 AM

10. Jo Jordan is a piece of self hating Uncle Tom trash. Or she's got a mean case of Stockholm syndrome. Either way she needs therapy and medication. Voting against that bill is not going to make those bigots respect you, and you've just lost your respect from "the community."

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Nov 7, 2013 8:10:12 AM

11. Why is 'testimony' considered anything more than people giving their opinion? Unless you're a credentialed professional, what difference does my equality under law have to do w/ your religious belief?

And this Lesbian is supposed to be a lawmaker? Well, it appears she's got the 'politician' part figured out.

No, she wouldn't be welcomed in my community.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Nov 7, 2013 8:11:11 AM

12. "I might vote against something that I personally believe in. I personally believe I should have the right," Jordan said. "You know how hard it is for me to say no? I have to say no."

If Jo Jordan believes she exists as a politician merely to record the loudest vote of the people, then she is proving her own obsolescence. We don't need politicians for that. Decibel meters can do that.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 7, 2013 8:22:56 AM

13. What is disturbing is the Police Chief stated he would not enforce the law if it was passed. I would think he needs to be removed from his job if he's not going to enforce the laws.

Posted by: Macmantoo | Nov 7, 2013 8:26:55 AM

14. there's a special place in hell for people like Jo Jordan...

Posted by: bg | Nov 7, 2013 8:27:44 AM

15. Jo Jordan as a homophobic lesbian politician who'll vote against his own equal rights? I think Ms. Jordan has much deeper problems than simply being homophobic. She needs a serious intervention.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Nov 7, 2013 8:28:30 AM

16. I'll personally donate to her opponent the next chance I get. Might be the first time I donate to a bigot, but at least that bigot will be an honest bigot.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 7, 2013 8:31:41 AM

17. I'm glad the public comment sessions are over. That wasn't a hearing. It was an assault planned in parish halls across Hawaii. And it was an assault where the speakers used "the children" as human shields.
    Disgraceful.

Posted by: woody | Nov 7, 2013 8:34:05 AM

18. Jo Jordan? Girl has lost her mind.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Nov 7, 2013 8:34:44 AM

19. Jo Jordan will benefit from the bill others had the courage to pass. Whatta gal!

Posted by: woody | Nov 7, 2013 8:37:32 AM

20. @DISGUSTED AMERICAN - "Hey black lady holding that sign"

Assuming that anyone who is not white is black, is disgusting. You should visit, maybe live there for a few years. You might learn something.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 7, 2013 8:54:34 AM

21. Jordan is unprincipled and evidently self hating. Supporting religious bigotry has never been the job of a politician. In this Republic, we expect politicians to use their judgment to enact legislation, not simply puppet what even a majority of their constituents believe.

Posted by: candideinnc | Nov 7, 2013 8:58:27 AM

22. @DISGUSTED AMERICAN...that woman is not black. You hate black people so much that even staring into the eyes of a woman who is obviously a person of pacific-islander ethnicity you have to slam blacks. LOL! I always get a kick at casual white racism. As a latino I deal with it regularly.

Posted by: pedro | Nov 7, 2013 9:06:27 AM

23. The people DID vote, all the way back in 1998, when they amended their constitution to grant the authority to define who gets to marry to the legislature.

(That should never have been allowed, because it's a fundamental right, but that doesn't change this fact.)

Their Constitution now says that the people don't get a direct vote on this any more. It is explicitly reserved to the legislature. Not to the people. Them's the rules. Back to civics class.

Posted by: Lymis | Nov 7, 2013 9:14:14 AM

24. @Disgusted American, not everyone who is a non-white is black. My sympathies for your limited exposure.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Nov 7, 2013 9:24:50 AM

25. Jo Jordan seems more like a homocon with that type of thinking.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Nov 7, 2013 9:26:00 AM