MSNBC Cancels Alec Baldwin’s Show Amid Fallout from Anti-Gay Slur

Baldwin

Alec Baldwin's MSNBC show has been canceled amid fallout from his use of an anti-gay slur last week. But it was more than just that, the NY Post's Richard Johnson reports:

Baldwin’s dismissal was decided on partly because of his diva-like behavior toward co-workers, a source said.

Besides demanding a humidifier because he claimed the air at 30 Rock was too dry, Baldwin alienated staffers when he demanded a separate makeup room being used by a woman with cancer who is sensitive to hairspray.

When Baldwin was told he couldn’t have his way, he allegedly bellowed at the top of his lungs, “I don’t give a f - - k if she has cancer or not, I want that f - - king makeup room.”

Baldwin indicated the show might be at risk in a HuffPost piece he wrote last week defending himself.

Comments

1. Francis says

A lot of things came together that led to this. The #1 reason of course, is ratings. Alec’s ratings were terrible and rumors were already flying he was going to only last one season. So his show was already on edge and his recent actions just pushed MSNBC over the edge.

I feel a little bit bad for Alec now, but he brought all of this on himself and supposedly, he didn’t really care to continue the show to begin with.

2. Mike says

Ha, not only is MSDNC throwing him out the door, they’re giving him a huge kick in the ass on the way (the cancer-“makeup” room). Hee hee, this is a messy divorce. :)

3. Matt27 says

He has to learn the hard way to take the responsibility. Has he learnt anything, only time will tell.

4. Kev C says

I don’t see how they could fire Alec and yet keep the other losers at MSNBC. Lawrence O’Donnell, the angry white liberal, and Al Sharpton, the angry black liberal. Maybe Alex wasn’t angry enough for MSNBC, but gosh darn it, he tried to be.

5. David From Canada says

What a sad man with such behavioural and anger issues. And to think that he’s considering being a politician!!!!!

6. Jerry says

Alec Baldwin acting like a diva?

THE DEVIL YOU SAY!

There are easily dozens of theater people in New York City that could have told the MSNBC bigwigs about that from years back.

7. Rick says

Good riddance to Liberal rubbish. Alec Baldwin’s behavior is evidence that most liberal dems are not our friend. Those types are simply using us for political/societal control. Don’t fall for it!

8. Adam says

9. JackFknTwist says

@ KEV C :
    we should all be liberals otherwise we end up as spoiled brats of Philip’s Academy holding down, with others, a classmate to bully him and cut his hair.
    Or we would end up as exposed hypocrites despising 47% of the people whom we are running for office supposedly to serve.

Or worse, we’d end up on Fox trying to have a not-so-meaningful conversation with that anorexic birtch Anne Coulter as she stirs into her cauldron her eye of newt and toe of frog.
    Give me Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Rachel and O’Donnell any day of the week…… we need more outrage and indignation at the vermin of the Green Eggs and Ham Clowns/Tea Baggers.

10. Rad says

In all honesty, I tired to watch his Chris Matthews interview (I think it was his first show), and I had to turn it off. At every point in the conversation, he turned the topic around to his opinion on the subject. It was just wretched. I thought to myself, “Gone by Christmas”. And indeed…

11. Derrick From Philly says

12. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Good riddance to Liberal rubbish.”

Yeah, right. I’m going to change political party membership in 2016 just so I can vote for Ted Cruz. A real Papi Chulu!

13. Tom says

I am not sure what is up with Alec of late, but it seems he is a good candidate for anger management.

14. Derrick from Philly says

Sorry. An erotic Freudian Slip (or lazy spelling.

Julian Castro is a Papi ChulO out of Texas. Ted Cruz is indeed a papi chuluuuuu out of hell.

15. says

It was a decent show and I am going to miss it. It is difficult to find interesting talking on the tube. Baldwin provided that. His radio show is also very good, even thought Baldwin can, at times, be an egomaniac.

16. Red says

Yep, 30 Rock has been ruined for me too. Can’t stand Baldwin now and don’t get anyone who defends him and says he’s NOT a homophobe, he IS.

17. will says

I’m so sick of bitchy vindictive people MORALIZING and telling us all what’s wrong with Alec Baldwin.

It’s SO damn easy to come on here and say: “good riddance!” and “violent ugly bigot”. Like what this needs is 36 unforgiving and vengeful posters dogpiling on anybody who says “fag”.

18. anon says

Most celebrities behave as badly as Baldwin once they get near the top of their profession. Part of what happens is they realize the worse they behave the more people give them quarter, so it’s a self-reinforcing phenomenon. This happens in business too. Baldwin just didn’t know how to play the game correctly.

19. Zlick says

I saw one episode of his show, which was interesting only because he had the two stars of 2001: A Space Odyssey on to talk about that classic film.

I won’t miss the show at all, but its cancellation restores the puzzle of why a solid block of ultra-liberal news shows is followed by hours of real-life hard-core prison shows – which would hardly appeal to any liberal I know.

At any rate, I don’t think Baldwin’s liberal leanings are completely cancelled out by his go-to anti-gay slurs when he’s angry – but it’s bizarre that’s where he instantly goes when mad, and I hope this experience helps him get to the bottom of that and get the freak over it.

20. Neil Nielsen says

It’s a way for them to dump this show sooner than they probably would have anyway. From tvbythenumbers:

“[Up Late with Alec Baldwin] ratings declined about 40 percent over the course of its run. The premiere garnered 654,000 viewers and 172,000 adults 25 to 54. Its final episode on November 8 managed only 395,000 viewers and 101,000 adults 25-54.”

21. Michael says

I’ve never seen his TV show (as I’m anti-cable news), but his radio show is on point.

We need to stop crucifying people for anger-induced words. I know that I say inappropriate things when I’m angry, and I’m sure I’d say terrible things if some photographer was encroaching on my family. Actions speak louder than angry words, so let’s take a look at his actions instead of critiqueing a run in with an obnoxious pap.

22. Danny says

It’s really very sad that Alec Baldwin is what passes for “talent” in 2013. It just shows you how far America has declined.

23. Kev C says

It’s 2013, and he angrily called someone a fag. It’s depressing when the gay rights movement hasn’t yet enlightened the “pro-gay” liberal community. Imagine how little progress we’ve made with those not pro-gay. Go back to wearing Che Guevara T-shirts, worthless liberal numbskulls.

24. Mort says

Seems to me that Alec Baldwin became a star because audiences responded to that rage-simmering-beneath-a-placid-surface thing he had going on. (And, of course, because of his winning ticket in the genetic lottery.) Lord knows his shtick has been amply rewarded over the decades. That his rage has bubbled to the surface as he’s reached an awkward, less-bankable age shouldn’t really come as a surprise.

And the fact remains that Baldwin was a kid from a not-very-posh part of Long Island where “fa**ot” and c**ksucker” were insults that were fired at both friends and enemies — so commonplace, even banal, that they essentially became lodged in the reptilian part of the brain, possibly never to be dislodged.

Based on the evidence I’ve seen, if Baldwin isn’t purely liberal-minded, he at least aspires to be. I’m not trying to excuse his stupid behavior. It’s just that I think he’s more an immature jerk than a bigot.

25. Jim says

You can’t be a prima donna when you’re not prima anymore and your donna is over the hill. After all, what does a movie actor need with a cable TV show if his movie career is still alive? There’s always Saturday morning kids shows.

26. Tom says

So MSNBC has canceled his show at long last! When are the advertisers going to realize that nobody watches ANY Baldwin commercials or buy ANY of their products because of him?

27. Ryan says

This was always sort of inevitable, but for the record the one time I accidentally watched his MSNBC show (which was before these recent shenanigans), it was actually pretty good and done in a somewhat refreshing format, and I was impressed by the fact that he actually knew what the hell he was talking about.

It’s almost too bad he’s such a walking disaster. MSNBC would do well to try another host in a similar, more off-beat format for the same day/time. It was a weird mix of lightheartedness and depth that worked and I’m sure others could replicate it.

28. NwYrkr says

I have never, and still do not understand his appeal. Only watched 30 Rock a couple of times and thought “meh”, same for the talk show. Now if I can revert to purely superficial area, what was with the spiked hair-do thing he was sporting during the ads ? he looked like a mutant unicorn.

29. Liam says

I watched his show and enjoyed it. It was an hour of conversation with one person. His interview with the new mayor of New York was great. It was before the election and I really had an understanding of who deBlagio was after watching that show. It is a shame this had to happen. Baldwin is a brilliant man but his personal flaws always seem to get in the way.

30. lookyloo says

Too bad they’re axing him now.
    He’s gonna get to blame gay-activists for the cancelation and people won’t know any different.

Because, not only can his general professional behavior swirl into troubled-diva territory, as the article points out, but the show had crap ratings as well – But nobody’s gonna be discussing that.

31. andrew says

Alec Baldwin’s frequent anger outbursts indicate that he is a troubled individual in need of psychiatric help; that and low ratings led to his show’s cancellation.