BigGayDeal.com

News: Adam Levine, Hawaii, Rob Ford, Bridegroom, Trey Fadel

RoadLGBT workers caught in stand-off as ENDA gets blocked.

RoadCBS program Mike & Molly criticized for transphobia, anti-gay humor.

LevineRoadAdam Levine is People's Sexiest Man Alive.

RoadThe Regnerus Fallout: "For more than a year, this study has influenced proposed legislation and legal decisions in the U.S. and abroad to hinder LGBT couples’ rights to marry and adopt children. The Regnerus Fallout is an information campaign designed to bring you everything you need to know about this study, how it was orchestrated, and why it still matters today."

RoadCongressman Trey Fadel (R-FL), who was arrested for cocaine possession late last month, just voted to drug-text food stamp users.

RoadApple's 'spaceship' campus gets final approval.

RoadRob Ford's talk show Ford Nation is canceled after just one episode: "While Ford Nation pulled about 155,000 viewers, according to overnight ratings, it is a victim of the brutal economics of cable TV and the Fords’ relative inexperience with the medium: Monday’s episode took five hours to record, and another eight hours to edit, making it an unusually expensive endeavour for a niche network that is in only about 40 per cent of Canadian households."

RoadSpider-man: Turn Off the Dark to end run on Broadway with huge losses.

Blond_lambertRoadAdam Lambert goes platinum blond.

RoadWhat does 'traditional marriage' mean in Hawaii? "As State Sen. Gilbert Kahele, a native Hawaiian from Miloli'i on the Island of Hawai'i, recalled in a remarkable speech in support of the marriage equality bill that was then being discussed in a special legislative session, same-sex relationships between both men and women were not only accepted in Hawai'i but 'part of the very fabric of Hawaiian history.'

RoadColton Haynes flashes his pits for Flaunt.

RoadCandace Gingrich on the Cheney family feud: “The struggle that the Cheney family is going through is one that lots and lots of families go through when it comes to LGBT family members. I feel for them, because it’s magnified about 8,000 times, but the bottom line is that one sister does not accept the basic right of her other sister. Nobody running for office should be espousing that anyone should have less opportunity and less rights than anyone else.”

RoadVIDEO: Daniel Day Lewis's son is a rapper.

RoadWill and Kate get twerked in the face.

2_bridegroomRoadWill Bridegroom get an Oscar nod? "There are officially 151 films vying for the Best Documentary Feature Oscar this year. For that huge number of entries, a deadline looms this Friday: That is the last day of voting by the Academy’s docu branch for the lucky 15 that will make the shortlist of finalists, which will be announced in early December."

RoadThe Village Voice profiles the Cockyboys adult film studio.

RoadEastern Mennonite University could be the first Mennonite institution to formally reverse policy prohibiting tenure-line faculty from pursuing same-sex relationships: On Monday, President Loren Swartzendruber announced a six-month “listening period" on the policy to involve students, faculty and staff.

RoadAnti-gay African church leader lands teaching position: "An African bishop, whose appointment as dean of a foundation at Dartmouth College was rescinded over his past comments about homosexuality, has been named a fellow at a Massachusetts divinity school. Bishop James Tengatenga of Malawi will serve as a Presidential Fellow at Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge for six months starting in January 2014, the school said in a statement on Monday."

Comments

1. Bridgegroom deserves an Oscar. Would be amazing news.

Eastern Mennonite University supposedly will talk to Mennonite leadership after the 6 month listening period concludes about what to do with gay leadership. That is not good news because Mennonite leadership is anti-gay. At least there will be dialogue unlike the usual shutting off and cutting out anyone who dares not be anti-gay within Mennonite (and other) faith.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 20, 2013 3:36:53 PM

2. Bridegroom certainly has an emotional punch ...but it doesn't deserve the Oscar.

It may not seem, at first viewing, to be "an important film" - but Sarah Polley's "Stories We Tell" is a profound work of art, and filmmaking at its finest.

As for Rob Ford - get into rehab, dude. STAT.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 20, 2013 4:11:11 PM

3. Drug-TEXTing, eh? How very 21st century! Next thing you know they'll come up with computers that than copy edit your posts.

Posted by: Buster | Nov 20, 2013 4:11:17 PM

4. Bishop Tengatenga is going to love Cambridge and Boston. Plenty of homeless and deprived hustlers of all ages, races, ethnicities he can 'minister' to.

Sarcasm off.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2013 4:35:16 PM

5. "LGBT advocates immediately pounced on Boehner’s remarks, saying there’s no basis to believe the bill would lead to “frivolous lawsuits,” citing a recent study by Government Accountability Office finding that the enactment of similar state laws have resulted in “relatively few employment discrimination complaints"

Well, if there have been relatively few complaints, then what good is the passage of ENDA going to do?

The answer, of course, is that it will not do any good at all because it is pretty much impossible to prove discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, since it is an "invisible" characteristic and any employer can therefore simply claim that they did not an employee was gay in the first place and therefore it was not possible that discrimination took place.

Which undoubtedly explains the dearth of complaints under state laws and demonstrates how attempts to legislate acceptance are doomed to failure.

And the fact that "trans" people pretty much cannot find employment anywhere (it sounds from the article as though their unemployment rate is in excess of 60%).....just demonstrates how totally unacceptable "gender-non-conformity" is and will ALWAYS be in mainstream society.....and no law is going to change that reality either.

Passing laws will not do anything to end homophobia; only changes in the male culture....and rejection of the culture of effeminacy by gay men.....will do so......

Posted by: Rick | Nov 20, 2013 5:07:11 PM

6. As long as I live, I will never forgive effeminate and trans people for convincing my father that since I'm gay it means I want to be a woman.

Every time I would sneak the neighbor's dog into my bedroom to perform oral sex on it, my dad would make be dress up in black-face drag, because you liberal effeminates who don't hate black people made him think that that's what i wanted to do.

But I'm Rick, and I'm a real man, and all I wanted was to be able to perform oral sex on my neighbor's dog while wearing a pair of my own father's soiled underpants on my face.

I hate that gender-nonconformists are finding the confidence to be Out when I as a homosexual man never grew the pair needed to do so. I hate it. I am just so angry. I'm probably going to die in a few years, and nobody has ever loved me or accepted me.

And I blame you effeminates. It's your fault my dad wouldn't let me put his soiled underpants over my nose while I performed oral sex on my neighbor's dog.

The dog was male, by the way. Not female. That would be disgusting.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 20, 2013 5:13:52 PM

7. Sexual orientation is an invisible characteristic only if you're closeted. Closeted people find laws that protect people on the basis of sexual orientation threatening because they are being left behind to lead lonely lives.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 20, 2013 5:16:23 PM

8. I am not lonely, Ernie. I am masculine and not a fem. I'd show you all proof of who I am but then my cover would be blow, and you'd see that I'm about as impressive as an anal wart. And I say that having had several.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 20, 2013 5:18:15 PM

9. Fake Rick is the gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 20, 2013 5:20:09 PM

10. "Sexual orientation is an invisible characteristic only if you're closeted."

No, Ernie, I know this may come as a shock to you and others who don't work and live in the social mainstream, but in most workplaces, people do not discuss their sex lives or their personal lives. Generally speaking, I never hear straight colleagues talk about their boyfriends or girfriends....and rarely do they mention their spouses. It is not that they are trying to hide anything; it simply is not relevant in a work environment. Ditto for gay people.....after all, to this day, there is not a single high-level "out" gay executive at a Fortune 100 company that I know of.....in part, because it would be ridiculous to bring up their sexual orientation or their personal life in, say, an interview with the business press......as ridiculous as it would be for a straight executive to start talking about his wife or his girlfriend.

"Closeted people find laws that protect people on the basis of sexual orientation threatening because they are being left behind to lead lonely lives."

If that was directed at me, I am neither closeted (I don't wear rainbow flag pins, but I also have never, ever pretended to be something I am not--and it has cost me in the workplace at times, believe me).......nor am I "threatened" by passage of anti-discrimination laws. In fact, I am all for them; I even lobbied a couple of key Senators on behalf of DADT repeal. It's just that I realize that our problems are not going to be solved by legislation, but will, instead, only be solved by cultural change.

You cannot force people to accept you or like you as a group by passing laws; it just will not work.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 20, 2013 5:41:00 PM

11. Heck, I couldn't even get my anti-gay family to accept me by joining them in hating on other gays, especially effeminate ones.

I would totally show you all who I actually am, and prove I'm not a closeted troll, but I can't do that because who I am actually is a closeted troll.

Also, I like to compare myself to Fortune 500 folks - but really I just live in a rental basement.

I hate effeminacy!!!!

Posted by: Rick | Nov 20, 2013 5:44:50 PM

12. I wish somebody would "drug-text" me.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Nov 20, 2013 5:51:21 PM

13. "I never hear straight colleagues talk about their boyfriends or girfriends"

Sweetie, that's not because they don't do it. It's because they don't like you.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 20, 2013 6:37:28 PM

14. I happened to see that episode of Mike and Molly and what I took away from it is a complete 180 from that article. For the first time I saw a transgendered woman and a man in a booth discussing how he had kissed her (which I read more into it than just a kiss) and there was no "ewww" at all.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 20, 2013 6:52:12 PM

15. Crispy - for the win.

Posted by: HA! | Nov 20, 2013 9:32:23 PM

16. That was awesome, Crispy.

Posted by: ger | Nov 20, 2013 10:15:46 PM

17. Sorry, Candace, but most families don't throw their gay relatives under the bus for expedient career advancement. We could give too craps if Liz & Mary get along. What we care about is that she's fighting against equality and thousands of people, including her own sister, would suffer for her inexcusable f#ckery.

Back to spewing utter nonsense. Eh, Rick? Glad to see you're your old self, again.

Posted by: FFS | Nov 20, 2013 10:49:36 PM

18. Oh, LittleKiwi, for once I have to disagree with you: I have loved Sarah Polley's previous films, but I LOATHED "Stories We Tell," a pretentious, uninteresting film, horribly directed, which was shocking. Also, the excessive Extra Nauseating Super Shaky Cam™ gave me a headache.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 21, 2013 12:05:52 AM

19. Yep, Crispy about summed it up, but Rick, seriously, if you don't know if your work colleagues are gay or straight, or whether they have spouses/families, either it's cause you're completely incapable of interacting with people or everyone you work with has no one to bring to the office Christmas party.

I didn't direct my closeted comment at anyone, but since you went on a defensive diatribe in response, guess the shoe fits. Keep right on thinking that your one-man cultural change campaign is going to solve your personal problems.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 21, 2013 5:47:13 AM

20. For some reason Rick's claim reminded me of this:

Because throwing a $2 million birthday party for your WIFE doesn't reveal anything about your sexual orientation. No, nobody ever talks about that. Or has photos of their wives or kids on their desk. Never. And you'd never invite a colleague to your wedding.

I'm trying to imagine a line of work in which one has no idea who colleagues live with... CIA maybe? No, actually, among themselves, as long as you have the same security clearance, you'd probably know. I give up. Wish Rick could tell us, but that would blow his cover.

Posted by: KevinVT | Nov 21, 2013 6:06:38 AM

21. Rick, let's go over just some of the countless ways that your heterosexual coworkers "advertise" their sexuality at work every single day:
    * pictures of the family on their desk
    * being late for work because their daughter has the flu
    * talking about their spouse, their kids, their in-laws, etc., in casual water cooler conversation
    * bringing the spouse to the office Christmas party, or having him or her drop by the office sometimes for lunch, or because your coworker forgot their phone at home, and on and so forth,
    * inviting some of the work gang over for dinner or bbq or poker night on the weekend, or even to their wedding or some other special occasion
    * listing their spouse on their health and dental insurance

Like kevinvt, I'm at a loss to imagine any workplace where none of that stuff happens...or any way in which being out as gay at work is somehow *different* from any of that.

Posted by: Craig S | Nov 21, 2013 12:47:59 PM