News | Portia de Rossi

Portia De Rossi on Fears of Coming Out: 'I Just Didn't Want to Be a Lesbian' — VIDEO

Derossi

Portia de Rossi opened up about the fears she had before coming out and getting married to Ellen DeGeneres, in a new episode of the UK show The Conversation, hosted by Amanda De Cadenet.

Said De Rossi:

"I just didn't want to be a lesbian. I'd never met one for a start and I just thought they were strange and that they hated men and they were very serious...I had these ridiculous images in my head and there were no out celebrities or politicians or anybody that I could look to and go, 'Oh, I could be like that'...There was nobody that I could say, 'I could date her and I want to be like her'...I just kind of thought I don't want to live like this. I don't have to, I don't need to, I just shut down the emotional life."

Watch an ABC News report on the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This episode aired on Lifetime last year...

Posted by: Billy | Nov 3, 2013 2:46:34 PM

2. May 3rd, 2012: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1926875/episodes?season=1

Posted by: Billy | Nov 3, 2013 2:48:40 PM

3. Oh, please, this woman appears to be as fakes as a three dollar bill. She changed her name from Amanda Rogers to Portia di Rossi. How phony can you get? Must have taken her a few brain cells to come up with a European-sounding name, I'll grant you that.

Her whining also sounds phony in my opinion. Isn't living in the lap of Ellen's luxury enough to ease her pain?

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 2:58:25 PM

4. What credibility do you have as an actress if you "shut down the emotional life?"

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Nov 3, 2013 3:01:19 PM

5. The trolls are out in force.

Posted by: Polyboy | Nov 3, 2013 3:03:11 PM

6. She was good in Ally McBeal and she was GREAT in Arrested Development. Why the hatin?

Posted by: topher | Nov 3, 2013 3:05:07 PM

7. Adrenan: You are a little bit judgemental, don't you think?
    Change your name is something that a lot of actors/singers do. And frankly, she wasn't an unknown when she started to date Ellen

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 3, 2013 3:05:10 PM

8. many actors change their names when they enter the biz. Julianne Moore changed her name from Julie Smith. #calmdownblanche

kudos to Portia for sharing her story with everyone.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 3, 2013 3:15:28 PM

9. There were a number of out women at the time Portia was growing up. Her whining about a lack of role models does not appear sincere. I would say her 'lesbianism' has helped her rather than hindered her in Hollywood. Women have it much easier than us guys.

This promotion of Portia seems to be tied in with this new show that Ellen is developing for the ABC. It's apparently about a lesbian falling pregnant to a straight guy. How progressive...not.

Portia and Ellen can vamoose. They are not good reps of the gay community.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 3:28:08 PM

10. How the hell can anybody hate on Ellen and Portia? I mean, really, Adrenan, get yourself some therapy.

Posted by: K in VA | Nov 3, 2013 3:32:52 PM

11. They're better than you, Adrenan. You can always put your brave face to youtube and become the "better rep" that you think you may be.

So, let's see you in all your grandness.

You can also list the large number of openly-gay women who were around and Out and visible when Portia was growing up.

Oh, who am I kidding. You don't have the balls to be a visible role-model. Thank god, though. Guys like you are better left ignored.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 3, 2013 3:34:02 PM

12. If Portia didn't like lesbians who were strange, why did she marry Ellen?

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 3:36:09 PM

13. Oh, you're just trolling. I'm sorry Portia is happy and your daily dilemma involves getting Cheetoh-crust off your c0ck because you can't make up your mind whether you should finish wanking or finish snacking. Thanks for playing. wimp.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 3, 2013 3:41:18 PM

14. Kiwi,

Hasn't your Daddy penetrated you yet?

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 3:57:04 PM

15. Ellen has promoted the careers of homophobes on her show.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 3:59:53 PM

16. Can you imagine if towleroad finally just blocked these trolls from being able to comment? without this distraction they'd finally off themselves and not a tear would be shed, by anyone.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 3, 2013 4:06:41 PM

17. Little Kiwi,

If you love Portia so much, why don't you go and eat her out?

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 5:18:52 PM

18. Because I'm a happy, Out, openly gay man who prefers to eat my gay male lover, thankyouverymuch.

you should try it some time. we all know you hate being a gay man - Portia's story should be inspiring you to love yourself instead of being such a resentful and reluctant homosexual.

Now, I shall leave you. I'm sure you're used to that.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 3, 2013 5:33:24 PM

19. ADRENAN P is a well known troll to Towleroad! (Think of him as the super EVIL grandfather of name changing Internet trolls everywhere.) Am CERTAIN that if Portia de Rossi is good enough to be the wife of Ellen DeGeneres and ALSO weathered international press scrutiny for many years in good shape that SHE IS MORE THEN JUST FINE! You can trust that she was meticulously examined and well vetted far more then someone like "Adrenan" could EVEN dream of . . .

Simply ignore him!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 3, 2013 6:40:31 PM

20. I think it is difficult for some people to understand when another person's coming out journey is different than our own. It did surprise me that the sex hungry part of her character on Ally McBeal bothered her so much. We often take it for granted that actors view those parts as fun but it can really bring up a lot of painful issues. I hope She and Ellen continue to have happy times.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Nov 3, 2013 7:32:36 PM