New Jersey | News

Gay Waitress and Former Marine Accused of Hoaxing Public with 'No Tip, Offensive Note' Story: VIDEO

Receipt

Last week we reported that Dayna Morales (pictured below), a waitress at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, New Jersey, received a receipt without a tip back from a customer with a note reading:

"I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I don't agree with your lifestyle & how you live your life."

MoralesMorales's story made national headlines and support, both moral and financial, poured in.

Now a family has come forward claiming that Morales doctored the receipt and that they have the real copy, with an $18 tip that they gave to her, NBC 4 reports:

They also provided a document they said was a Visa bill, which appears to indicate their card was charged for the meal plus the tip, for a total of $111.55.

The couple told NBC 4 New York that they believed their receipt was used for a hoax. The wife says she is left-handed and could not have made the slash in the tip line, which she said looks to be drawn from the right.

"We've never not left a tip when someone gave good service, and we would never leave a note like that," the wife said.

The husband said he and his wife have both worked in restaurants and believe in the value of tipping, and noted that he didn't vote for Gov. Chris Christie because the governor doesn't support gay marriage.

"Never would a message like that come from us," he said.

Morales continues to stand by her story.

Watch the NBC4 report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. sad if true...

Posted by: Rob | Nov 26, 2013 7:44:23 AM

2. I have no idea who is telling the truth in either case. But between this and the mangled lesbian cake story yesterday, it really hasn't been a great couple weeks for lesbian press coverage.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 26, 2013 7:49:47 AM

3. A friend of mine once said that there is nothing worse than a lying lesbian.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 26, 2013 7:49:59 AM

4. I kind of suspected this would be the case. This was just too good a racket, too lucrative to think that attention-starved and dollar-hungry grifters would stay out of the game. The public (and sometimes, sadly, OUR public in particular) is too gullible, too in need of a feel-good, rally-'round-the-flag type story, to avoid being taken in by this kind of foolishness. People are too in need of a 'problem' that they can throw $5, or $10, or $20 at and think they've righted some wrong. It's the secular version of the weekly religious scam where you "offer" a little conscience-easing payoff money to Jesus' dad so you can feel better about yourself.

Posted by: Tinkerbelle | Nov 26, 2013 7:53:00 AM

5. And now, if true, every bigoted organization in America, is going to be using this as an example. An example of how gays are liars, deceitful, and not really the victims of discrimination. It hurts the people who really are the victims of this kind of discrimination. Think of how many have been and just never reported it, maybe because they thought that they wouldn't be believed. Because of people like this (allegedly).

When a straight person does something bad, it's just because some people suck.

But when a gay person does something bad, it's because all gay people are bad and horrible.

And people like this (allegedly) certainly aren't helping to end that way of thinking.

Ugh.....

Posted by: Chris | Nov 26, 2013 7:54:11 AM

6. I wish I could say I was surprised at this, but I'm not. I hate that I approach all these reports of anti gay activity with a skeptical eye now.

Posted by: brian1 | Nov 26, 2013 7:54:53 AM

7. That sucks that they picked a decent family to lie about, when there are so many crappy people that would have been glad to have left that judgmental note.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 26, 2013 7:55:20 AM

8. This incident also illustrates why we shouldn't entrust the gays rights movement to women. Women can fake their sexuality because they don't need to be aroused in order to have sex. Now it's alleged that a woman lied about being attacked for her homosexuality.

Meanwhile, GLAAD appoints a woman as its head. Go figure.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 26, 2013 8:03:42 AM

9. Hmmm, I'd have to see the credit card statement. The "merchant copy" which the establishment uses to process the transaction has the nasty note & no tip on it. The "customer copy" shows the tip and total which could've been added after the story broke to clear their name & discredit the former Marine. Before I consider this case closed I demand to see the credit card statement.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Nov 26, 2013 8:04:07 AM

10. Rule of thumb: Be willing to publicly identify the perp BY NAME....or it didn't happen.

Posted by: Diners Club | Nov 26, 2013 8:04:17 AM

11. Hasn't anyone ever used a credit card? The customer copy arrives blank, with the merchant copy, and is solely for your records. It proves absolutely nothing. They could have just as easily written in a $1000 tip. We're to believe that the waitress somehow erased the tip and total?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 26, 2013 8:12:20 AM

12. If any of the people questioning this family actually did even a cursory search, you'd see on other websites that they ALSO provided the credit card statement to the network, and actually approached the network because they were very offended by this woman's hoax story. Sorry, but she was busted.

Posted by: Joey Y | Nov 26, 2013 8:15:55 AM

13. The fact that this had already happened a few weeks ago, to me indicated that it was not an original story. The pastor who didnt leave the tip because he said "why do I have to give you 18% and I only give God 10%" - that was just a few weeks ago. So, I was skeptical that this was a true story because it just sounded too much like a similar story.

All this says, is that some people are selfish and do not respect the gay rights movement or what those before us have done to pave the way - this woman looks like she just threw us ALL under the bus for some coin and notoriety. I have a better idea, do something great with your life and be known for that. Also we're all sick and tired of the "i voluntarily joined the military to pay off my student loans and that makes me a hero and i didnt fight for yall from my desk job at the base to be mean to me". Sorry - I have more sympathy for homeless vets than for famewhores who didnt get one measly tip.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 26, 2013 8:21:13 AM

14. Yeah, the credit card statement pretty much sinks the S.S. Lesbian Liner. And the fact that they came forward after not being necessarily named... speaks volumes.

Ugh, way to set us back, lady.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 26, 2013 8:22:08 AM

15. Props to TED B. (CHARGING RHINO). He called it when this originally happened.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 26, 2013 8:37:10 AM

16. Could that be another reason? Says another customer or fellow server or whoever ring up the sale that did that?

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Nov 26, 2013 8:41:06 AM

17. If true, this is an embarrassment. The fact that the couple came forward of their own accord makes me believe them.

Posted by: Rafael | Nov 26, 2013 8:48:18 AM

18. This is why I am always initially skeptical. This happens much too often. A few years ago it made big local news when a black woman had racist graffiti painted on her car. Turns out, she did it herself. You learn never to jump to conclusions. I'm still skeptical of the kid who said he got kicked out of his parents house and a friend was asking people to send money.

Posted by: Adam | Nov 26, 2013 8:52:54 AM

19. It goes to show that the media is willing to report anything, without fact-checking, between two ads.

We are just eyeballs being rented out. Remember: if it's free, it means you are the product being sold.

Posted by: Marc | Nov 26, 2013 8:53:10 AM

20. I agree with Chris - you cant erase INK easily without destroying the receipt...!!

Posted by: disgusted american | Nov 26, 2013 8:53:24 AM

21. Some of the hateful and nasty comments above are unnecessary... but completely expected. Because calling someone who is wrong terrible names is better than what they did wrong, how? Anyway...

My take away from this is, well, Yay, Equality! Some Gay People are as bad as some Straight People.

Posted by: JimmyD | Nov 26, 2013 8:59:38 AM

22. That woman is horrible. I went to her Facebook page and she uses Bitstrips as her cover photo. Just ugh.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 26, 2013 9:06:17 AM

23. Remember the lesbian in Missouri(?) who claimed to have been attacked in her home and had anti-gay epithets scratched on stomach (in addition to very neatly done spray-painted graffiti), then it turned out to be a hoax?

I can think of several other instances of attention seeking behavior like this by women, but only one by a man. Believe me, I'm by NO means claiming any moral high ground for men, who get up to PLENTY of nasty cr@p on their own including lying, but I associate this particular strain of attention-seeking with women, an offshoot of Munchausen's or Munchausen's By Proxy.

Or am I way off base for thinking that?

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 26, 2013 9:12:34 AM

24. Um, JimmyD, are you expecting us to praise her, or say "Oh, maybe she made an ass out of the whole LGBT community and yet we should see if she wants support!"? No. She's a jerk.

Posted by: Joey Y | Nov 26, 2013 9:12:46 AM

25. With OUTcomes like this,I am reminded about the difference between a genus and an embezzler... a genus never gets caught!
    Ms. Morales is not a genus. Thanks Andy, for telling us the rest of the story.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin the bleacher Preacher | Nov 26, 2013 9:19:58 AM