Oklahoma | Wal-Mart

Oklahoma Man: Walmart Kicked Me Out for Being Gay

Pacheco and boyfriend

A Chickasha, Oklahoma man was doing some late-night shopping at his local Walmart with his boyfriend when a curious janitor stopped him to ask questions about homosexuality.

The man, Jonathan Pacheco, engaged with the Walmart employee but realized that things were going south when the janitor said that in his Bible, "it is Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve," that theologically-sound argument against the sins of homosexuality.

The unnamed employee then told Pacheco that he wasn't allowed in his store and told him to leave. Pacheco laughed the incident off after reporting the incident to two different store managers, but was concerned that neither took down any information.

Said Pacheco to The Express-Star, "I feel like I can't go anywhere now. Out of all the stores I go to, Walmart is the one that is prejudiced against someone's sexual orientation. I mean, come on."

The paper added:

Spokesperson for Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Kayla Whaling confirmed the company is investigating the incident.

"We are still in the process of talking to all who were involved," she said. "As soon as we are finished we will take the appropriate measures."

Comments

1. Gays shop at WalMart? Who knew?

Posted by: Target! | Nov 7, 2013 2:30:15 PM

2. So an overweight, minority attention queen groping his boyfriend in public was asked to leave. I don't see why this story is of any importance. He was making a spectacle of himself and it made people uncomfortable, so he was asked to leave. Some people just don't seem to comprehend that the majority of Americans are against displays of homosexual affection. Of course Walmart would try to put a female representative on the case as though it makes it seem as though they care, when in actuality they were sticking up for the majority of customers (mostly women) by removing this guy from the store. Leave it to the liberal queens to make a mountain out of a molehill by getting uppity about an act that causes a very rational discomfort in most people.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 7, 2013 2:38:03 PM

3. Shopping at Wal-Mart is like contributing to your own oppression.

Posted by: Kieran | Nov 7, 2013 2:38:09 PM

4. hey, even i've been known to cross the street when leaving target, to pick up a few things.

glad this story made the paper and tlrd. it doesn't seem the store managers cared, maybe next time they'll at least pretend to be supportive of customers.

Posted by: northalabama | Nov 7, 2013 2:39:43 PM

5. Somebodies gettin' their dumb okie ass fired.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 7, 2013 2:44:48 PM

6. Rick: Trolling at your finest, stupid and racist all in one

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 7, 2013 2:53:23 PM

7. Rick - You really need to get your head up your a*** at least then you will be minding your own business. Everyone can then rest easy because YOU cant see what other people are doing,which is not your concern. How about respecting people who are not like you, and if other people did the same America would be a more harmonious place.
    If a guy is holding his girlfriends hand or has his arm around her its really none of your business same if its his boyfriend, husband, none of your business, keep your nose out of other people relationships. If he has his hand on your butt and you dont like it, then is the time to get upset otherwise mind your business;thats how civilised people get along.

Posted by: renovato | Nov 7, 2013 2:53:50 PM

8. The sad thing is, the store did nothing illegal.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Nov 7, 2013 2:57:34 PM

9. Sounds fishy...looking for a settlement maybe?...

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 7, 2013 2:58:57 PM

10. as usual, we have not been given any background on this story, so as to make any coherent sense of the situation.

Posted by: patrick | Nov 7, 2013 2:59:07 PM

11. One more dandy reason to stay the hell away from ChinaMart. They're leeches of the worst kind, as well as haters. "Nuff said.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Nov 7, 2013 3:06:15 PM

12. Unfortunately I work part time at Walmart. It is a terrible place to work, however..... my store, as well as the company as a whole, has always been very very open about sexual orientation, race, gender, etc. This is just from my own experience of course.

I almost hate to defend Walmart, but I find this story hard to believe.

Posted by: E | Nov 7, 2013 3:06:19 PM

13. Ummm... Walmart didn't kick them out at all. A janitor made a stupid comment. That's it. Now if the janitor got security to kick them out because of their sexual orientation, that would be a different story. But that didn't happen... AND Walmart is investigating the incident right now. So basically this is a non-story.

Posted by: David in the O.C. | Nov 7, 2013 3:08:24 PM

14. @Patrick: What's missing, as I read The Express Star report, is the security guard's side of the story. However Walmart prohibits its employees from addressing the media. So, we know what we know until Walmart spinmeisters finish telling the guard's tale to him.

Posted by: Roger | Nov 7, 2013 3:09:41 PM

15. Interesting; the WalMart in this neighborhood is a hotbed for gaysex hookups - its bathroom is always being posted about on Craigslist and not mentioning any names but I know some people who've met up for hot car sex in its massive parking lot after dark - parking cars between all the overnight semi's and box vans.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 7, 2013 3:10:08 PM

16. "employee then told Pacheco that he wasn't allowed in his store and told him to leave" = kicked out

Posted by: northalabama | Nov 7, 2013 3:12:46 PM

17. First, I knew that comment was from Rick the minute I read it. Do you have anything else to do but spend your time commenting and being an ass? Get a life.
    Second, I think the headline was a bit misleading (sensational). It doesnt appear they were "kicked out" of Wal Mart. They were apparently asked to leave by a janitor who didnt have the authority to kick them out as evidenced by the fact that they apparently kept shopping and told a manager. I am in no way condoning the janitor's bigoted remarks and believe he should be fired but this isnt quite the story it was made out to be.

Posted by: BlahBlahBlah | Nov 7, 2013 3:13:18 PM

18. @"...it is Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve,"

I've always wondered what Steve looked like. Was he Black or was he White...or was he some sexy Palestinian with thick juicy lips?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 7, 2013 3:16:23 PM

19. If a minimum-wage park attendant at Disneyland makes a homophobic comment do I get to blame the entire company?

Posted by: will | Nov 7, 2013 3:16:51 PM

20. No, I don't. I mean Rick doesn't. When are you guys going to learn that I, RickUFFDAJason have no life and if I can't come on here every day to anonymously spew my nonsense, I'd be forced to finally off myself?

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 7, 2013 3:18:55 PM

21. Troll Rick, your comments are so dumb they make me laugh.

I would love if some 'janitor' or anyone else asked me about my sexuality. There is only one answer.......and it's not a yes or a no.

And it was Cain and Able who were quarreling about their incestuous relationship .......or were they both hooking up with Steve and that caused the quarrel ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 7, 2013 3:24:59 PM

22. As a gay associate in a rural Alabama Walmart, I find this story hard to believe. I am sure that management will deal with the broom pusher. Did this person expect the manager to call maintenance to the front and flog them publicly?

Walmart's policy concerning sexual orientation is pretty "liberal" and has been for at least the seven years I have been there. I have never been discriminated against or made to feel uncomfortable or unwanted.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Nov 7, 2013 3:42:00 PM

23. A real life Cartman! He laughs the incident off and when people say "Hey make some money" he suddenly is too mentally anguished to leave the house. Oh I'm weeping!

I shop at Walmart. Sometime run in at 1am to pick up something. And any janitor wanting to chat would get a "Don't talk to me" like they would from 99% of the population.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 7, 2013 3:52:16 PM

24. This shows why we need a PANDA now, that is a Public Accommodations Non Discrimination Act. Get on it Congress.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 7, 2013 4:25:16 PM

25. Well Target will gladly take your gay dollars, then spend them supporting anti-equality candidates when they think you aren't looking. So which is worse?

Posted by: PDX_Guy | Nov 7, 2013 4:45:04 PM