Alec Baldwin | News

What Should be Done About Alec Baldwin's Ongoing Homophobic Outbursts?

Baldwin

GLAAD condemned Alec Baldwin yesterday after the actor was caught calling a photographer a "c**ksucking fag" on camera.

"Mr. Baldwin can’t lend his support for equality on paper, while degrading gay people in practice. It's clearly time Mr. Baldwin listens to the calls from so many LGBT people and allies to end this pattern of anti-gay slurs."

What follow-up the organization will take remains to be seen....

Baldwin tweeted again last night:

"Anti-gay slurs are wrong. They not only offend, but threaten hard fought tolerance of LGBT rights...I'm grateful to all of the ppl I meet + hear from who recognize that I would never say something to offend my friends in the gay community...1-Rich Ferraro from @glaad informs me that c'sucker is an anti-gay epithet. In which case I apologize and will retire it from my vocabulary."

How do you feel Alec Baldwin should be punished for his latest outburst? Do his continued slurs involving gay people reveal that although he's a liberal, he's deep down also a homophobe?

Feel free to make your thoughts known in the comments.

Comments

1. Baldwin clearly has serious anger management issues. But the fact that his default tirades are always homophobic should count for something. Being an ally doesn't negate his continuous use of hate speech. We wouldn't tolerate it of others, but why do we continue to tolerate a clearly unrepentant Alec Baldwin?

Posted by: Larry | Nov 15, 2013 8:58:00 AM

2. The point of calling someone a name is to offend them, you're not supposed to do it politely. Name calling doesn't mean homophobic, especially coming from a strong ally like Baldwin. Stop being such a coc... .. ninny.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 15, 2013 8:58:17 AM

3. I think Mr. Baldwin has a large ego and insists upon respect for himself however he does not respect others. He has lost my respect.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 15, 2013 9:01:43 AM

4. First: He needs to issue an actual apology, and stop with the insulting explanations. 'Fathead,' really?? Give us a break.

Second: The guy has anger issues, which concern me far more than his penchant for homophobic slurs. He needs to seek professional help for the former.

Bottom line is that I don't think he hates gay people. But I'm also not certain that he 'gets' us very well either. Not sure how to help him there. Does he have actual friends from the community, who can speak truth to him? That might be a good start.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 15, 2013 9:01:55 AM

5. What a joke, NOTHING, YOU DO NOTHING. Except form an opinion on him as a person, then when next he is in a thing, you use said opinion to make a decision on weather or not you with patronize him.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 15, 2013 9:04:23 AM

6. Alec Baldwin is a flawed individual, like all of us are. I wish he would stop giving he paparazzi these gifts. They egg him on so they can make him explode and sell the footage.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 15, 2013 9:05:57 AM

7. I dunno, but that tweet made me laugh out loud.

Posted by: Carlos | Nov 15, 2013 9:08:56 AM

8. Why should anyone else make a decision on what should be done to "punish" him? He's a horse's butt, so it's up to him to get a grip on his anger management issues. Leave the rest of the world out of it.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 15, 2013 9:08:56 AM

9. I don't get the "he's an ally" bit... What exactly has he done for the LGBT community?

Posted by: Mike in Houston | Nov 15, 2013 9:11:22 AM

10. Let. It. Go. Already.

Posted by: Bigg | Nov 15, 2013 9:12:24 AM

11. "What Should be Done About Alec Baldwin's Ongoing Homophobic Outbursts?" Stop giving him a voice. Very simple. Every time he says something stupid, the media sends the sound bite around the world. Totally unnecessary. Pay no attention and he will shut up and go away.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 15, 2013 9:16:05 AM

12. shoot him in his c0ck$ucking piehole.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 15, 2013 9:18:15 AM

13. So will he be blacklisted like Isaiah Washington was in hollywood?

Hell no, he's a white male. They can say anything they want and get paid twice as much as everyone else for it.

Posted by: Bean | Nov 15, 2013 9:19:31 AM

14. We have bigger fish to fry: ENDA, marriage equality nationwide, LGBT homelessness, AIDS awareness. If it weren't for blogs like this one amplifying the offense, I wouldn't even know about Alec's latest rant. If he was advocating against us, he'd matter. He's not. So, my vote is to let him fade into insignificance - which for Alec is about the worst punishment you could mete out.

Posted by: Keppler | Nov 15, 2013 9:25:08 AM

15. Wondering if we'd be *debating* homophobia if this were Chris Brown.

Posted by: Ryan F | Nov 15, 2013 9:28:52 AM

16. I would accept his "apology" this time, but if he does it again, remove him as a donor. Plain and simple.

Posted by: WOLF | Nov 15, 2013 9:30:50 AM

17. What's to be DONE about Alec Baldwin? Just accept that he's a homophobic jerk and move on. What else IS there to do?

The thing you have realize and accept is that Alec Baldwin's go-to insult when he loses his temper is to call someone a "fag." People who piss him off are "fags" and he apparently doesn't like fags. That's his REAL self, not the "gay ally" he pretends to be, so keep that in mind.

It's no different that a person who you otherwise thought was progressive suddenly yells the "n-word" the moment a black person annoys them. That's who that person really IS and all the rest is just window-dressing.

Deal with that accordingly, either by calling him on it to his face (Twitter) or by refusing to support his work.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 15, 2013 9:35:55 AM

18. I don't mind being called a c*cksucker that much, but it's usually not on the street from some famous mean guy who's cock is not presently in my mouth.

To me, it's tantamount to saying "Pussy F*cker" to a straight guy. It's factually true, but it's totally not necessary.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 15, 2013 9:41:39 AM

19. Alex Baldwin should be sentenced to 6 months of hosting a boring talk show every Friday night on MSNBC. It must be as painful for him to do it as it is to watch.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Nov 15, 2013 9:57:41 AM

20. Nothing should be done. He is a good liberal so he gets a pass on similar comments that non-liberals would be crucified for.

Posted by: Perry | Nov 15, 2013 10:00:17 AM

21. Who gives a f*cking sh*t? Last time I heard we have freedom of speech and didn't live in a nanny state (though Bloomberg has made it one).

Posted by: UDontKnow | Nov 15, 2013 10:08:03 AM

22. Ally my ass. He's just another straight guy raking in the cash while trying to "play nice" with everyone. He's failing...miserably. He didn't even write his stupid tweet. Some PR guy at his agent's office did, trying to do damage control. Baldwin in pathetic.

Posted by: Chuck Willman | Nov 15, 2013 10:19:45 AM

23. Well obviously his tongue should be cut out.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Nov 15, 2013 10:22:56 AM

24. This isn't a one-off that should be excused. This is part of a long-pattern of abusive behavior on Mr. Baldwin's part. Would MSNBC stand behind (i.e. let continue) a talk show hosted by someone who had a long history of slurs against other, non-gay groups?

Posted by: keating | Nov 15, 2013 10:24:06 AM

25. Sounds like he has Gay Tourette's only.

Posted by: Johnny | Nov 15, 2013 10:31:26 AM