News

BigGayDeal.com

Xavier Bettel to Become Luxembourg's First Openly Gay Prime Minister

BettelIn the coming weeks, Xavier Bettel will be forming a coalition government in Luxembourg and, if all goes according to plan, will become the country's first openly gay Prime Minister.

Buzzfeed reports that Bettel unexpectedly led Luxembourg's centrist Democratic Party to its best-ever election results last month, earning him the right to form a government for the small, affluent European country.

But first, Bettel wanted to make sure he received his partner's blessing before taking the next steps:

"My partner [Destenay Gauthier, below] is a bit scared. I try to be at home most nights as we're a team but the obligations [of being Prime Minister] mean I will have to go abroad a lot. I asked him the day after the election whether it was OK to form a government and he supported me. If he had said no I would have to think whether I could accept it or not - I didn't want to break up a relationship! We're a team for good times and bad."

Bettel says gay visibility for elected officials has greatly improved since he first stepped into the political spotlight in the late 1990s:

Bettel:Gauthier"I once had a [female politician] who said I was more lady than her. But society is changing and what would be considered as not normal is fully normal nowadays. You can live your life as yourself and be considered as you are - not because you look like a politician who is married and with children."

Bettel also spoke briefly about his policy goals as Prime Minister, including improving Luxembourg's economy and legalizing gay marriage next year.

Check out the full interview over at Buzzfeed

Comments

1. I wonder if this will make a difference in the country's diplomatic relationship with Russia? (Not that Russia will care.)

Just think: today Luxembourg, tomorrow Andorra. This is progress!

Posted by: gr8guya | Nov 13, 2013 12:01:46 PM

2. Also Belgium has an openly gay prime minister.

Posted by: lukebrux | Nov 13, 2013 12:09:59 PM

3. Awesome, so Andy has prevented me from posting my hijack to petition a comment change. Which sucks because it means Andy wants all these toxic situations to happen. He is kinda the worst.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 12:11:35 PM

4. Awesome. Plus, snacky younger boyfriend.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Nov 13, 2013 12:20:08 PM

5. congratulations to him. but it must be somewhat disconcerting to the people of luxembourg that he felt the need to ask for his partner's permission only after the election is already finished rather than working out such personal matters in advance. hope that's a one-off and not indicative of his leadership style.

Posted by: jed | Nov 13, 2013 12:26:39 PM

6. @Fenrox, well it is Andy's website to handle it how he wants. But I find it curious that while Andy refuses to censor some of the absolute garbage that passes for comments here, he censors your clever protest.

It really is infuriating when someone hijacks a comment thread, but Andy why are you censoring Fenrox when you allow other hijackers to operate with wild abandon?

Posted by: Howard | Nov 13, 2013 12:51:11 PM

7. @Howard, And like, if it's money or whatever keeping this change from happening if he let us know we could donate or help.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 12:53:29 PM

8. Big deal *rolls eyes* Their entire population is about a half a million.

Posted by: Sue | Nov 13, 2013 12:55:04 PM

9. Congratulations to Luxembourg.

Posted by: Howard | Nov 13, 2013 12:56:11 PM

10. @Fenrox;

get back on your meds and stop thinking this site is out to get you.

answering your own complaints with another alias, ''Howard', is just plain ridiculous.

Posted by: Jenny 0 | Nov 13, 2013 12:58:04 PM

11. Folks, they don't call this Trollroad for nothin'!

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Nov 13, 2013 1:06:00 PM

12. Yeah, so lets change it. For instance, this Jenny thinks I am supporting my own posts, and there is no way for me or anyone to confirm or deny such a thing. It's freaking 2013, this is sad to still have totally anonymous comments on such a vitriol infused site.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 1:08:58 PM

13. Well, not even towleroad trolls can ruin this wonderful story. Nice to see another out gay leader! Hopefully this means we see marriage equality come to Luxembourg in the immediate future. Most importantly it gives us more representation on a global scale and within the EU and that's the #1 way to really increase progress for us on a global level.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 13, 2013 1:43:56 PM

14. @ PERVY MCPERV :
    I love your phrase "snacky younger boyfriend" and I want permission to use it.
    *******************************************
    RE : Prime Minister in waiting :
    They both look great together and there is no reason why like all couples they can't balance their busy lives and their work.
    Good luck to both of them.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 13, 2013 2:18:34 PM

15. Jesse Helms -- who tried to block the appointment of James Hormel to be Ambassador to Luxembourg on the grounds that the country would never support the gays -- must be rolling in his grave. Let him spin.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Nov 13, 2013 2:54:11 PM

16. FENROX
    STFU

Posted by: don't a tell la | Nov 13, 2013 8:27:05 PM

17. If you check Destenay's Twitter you'll see he was very happily supportiing Bettel's political ventures haha

Posted by: Jason | Nov 19, 2013 7:33:39 PM