Arne Duncan | College | Gay Rights | News

BigGayDeal.com

Education Secretary Orders Equal Treatment of Gay Couples in Federal College Loan Applications

ArneduncanOn Friday, Education Secretary Arne Duncan (right) announced plans to treat same-sex and opposite-sex married couples the same in the eyes of the law regarding federal college loan applications. Students, and parents, who have married their spouses in any state where it is legal can now receive the same loans as their heterosexual counterparts, and the loans will be recognized throughout the United States (even if the school one attends is in a state where same-sex marriage is not recognized).

Salon reports:

“We must continue to ensure that every single American is treated equally in the eyes of the law, and this important guidance for students is another step forward in that effort,” Duncan said in a statement...

“As students fill out their FAFSA this coming year, I’m thrilled they’ll be able to do so in a way that is more fair and just,” Duncan said, using the financial aid application’s acronym...

Friday’s move is the latest from the Education Department to be more helpful to students in same-sex marriages or with married gay parents.

This is an exciting step in providing sound and equal treatment by the federal government for all Americans. As a college student, I and my family are thankful for the loans we have been able to receive; it is important that anyone seeking higher education can do the same.

Check out the Department of Education announcement here.

Comments

1. Sec of Education Arne Duncan is another of the many excellent appointments that President Obama has made to positions of power in the Federal Government. I a so proud that I was able to join the majority of voters in casting my vote for Barack Obama for President of The United States. Next up, another liberal Democrat who will continue to lead this nation in the direction of equality for all.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 14, 2013 7:35:13 PM

2. Goodness, this is really nice and as it should be. Thank you Secretary of Education!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 14, 2013 8:31:29 PM

3. It's become rather startling how many freedoms and opportunities I never realized I was being denied. Like so many others I spent so long trying to fit a mold/coming to terms with reality that I did not appreciate from just how much I was excluded.

And not to be glib but Duncan has been far from ideal. For this I thank him but his corporatist bent and 'third' way desires are really opening the door to privatized and religious education money grabs that would funnel money away form the people who need it most. More pertinent to this site the money this can throw to people who do not like/support/want us, minority students or anyone not ready made for a marketing pamphlet is troubling.

Posted by: robroy | Dec 14, 2013 9:44:35 PM

4. I just love the sound of religious conservative heads xplodin'!

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 14, 2013 9:56:20 PM

5. That's nice. But, wouldn't it be better if we worked out a system where Americans could get an simple undergraduate degree without a subsequent decade of indentured servitude to pay it off.

Just a thought.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 14, 2013 10:30:28 PM

6. Yes, it's fair, but doesn't this in practice mean that children of same sex couples will be getting less money, since both parents' incomes will now be counted?

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 15, 2013 4:29:17 AM

7. @Joseph Ehrman-Dupre: "As a college student, I and my family..."

Perhaps as a college student(and presumably as an aspiring writer), you'll learn that it should be "My family and I..."

Posted by: Derrick From Philly | Dec 15, 2013 9:50:31 AM

8. AD is a horror - a slave to the charter school/privatize for profit K-12 sham - read diane ravitch on AD he is nothing to be proud of -BO's education policy is - if anything - worse than that of bush - race to the top - is anti union and sees assessment as equivalent to teaching

that said, Arnie is hot as hell -good lord - he has to be the best looking cabinet secretary -

Posted by: j | Dec 15, 2013 11:56:20 AM